Question of the day - Thursday 10 October

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of anything specific, but I often get tongue-tied from a variety of word combinations.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I sing mantra (kirtan) and sometimes that involves speeding up the chant... try singing OM NAMO AMITABHAYA BUDDHAYA DHARMAYA SANGHAYA OM really quickly. :lol:
Otherwise, I can't think of anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot get my tongue around the pronunciation of the name: Sheila.

It comes out so weird. Just cannot get that “l” along with the “Ya” sound. :runaround:
I know someone named Sheila, and it's just pronounced "shee-la", no "ya" sound :dunno:.

I talk funny. Too fast or too garbled or something. So even though I know HOW to pronounce words properly they don't always come out the way they should. I can't think of any word in particular though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom always said "Woo-ster-shur," but she said it with the boo sound. That sauce is very common in Louisiana cooking, and we lived in New Orleans for a while.

I've heard that Wooster is very close to the ancient Roman sauce garum. It was made by the barrel from fermented fish, and the Romans drowned everything in it.
Now I see it typed like that, I realise that your mom's pronunciation is almost correct. I'm so used to 'shire' said like 'shur' (as it is always said when the last syllable of a county/city name here), that I didn't think twice about writing it that way

:doh:

So, definitely 'Woo-ster-shur' sauce, with the 'oo' as in 'look'.

The only time 'shire' is said as it's written in the UK is when referring to Shire horses (a big English breed of horse).