Question of the day - Thursday 10 October

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :blush:

Today’s question is .....

Are there any words that you struggle to pronounce ? ;)

I can only think of one word - “Specific.” It always comes out as “Pacific” if I don’t slow down & think about it before I actually say it :crazy:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
For whatever reason, I always have to think about how to say the name "Dalton". Fortunately I don't know many Daltons, so it isn't an issue!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trouble with my Rs, a remnant of a speech impediment. The simplest words can feel awkward to say. I used to work with a guy named Troy-such a short name, but it comes out weirdly.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few words I simply cannot pronounce. The only one I can think of at the moment is "cuterebra," that larva of the bot fly that infects cats, but I've been working on it and can almost say it now.

I have a friend who always says "assesseries" instead of "accessories," which I've always thought humorous.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Worcestershire sauce. I feel weird saying it all together, because no one says it the same way!
I find a lot of people pronounce it as "Worse-Chester" or "Were-Chester" and sometimes someone will add the "shire" at the end. I've also heard "War-ste-shire" and "whass-te-shure" (or some variations of that). I've also heard "wor-chess-ter-shire" and "wer-cess-ter-shire" But according to some research I've done on how to properly pronounce it (and who knows, I could be wrong - if anyone knows FOR SURE, please chime in!) supposedly it should be pronounced "Woo - ster - shire". IDK. To be honest, I don't think I'll ever really know how to pronounce it right.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, no worries as long as you can open the bottle... only word I can think of is that ridiculously long-winded shampoo ingredient, the one with a gazillion syllables, has to be some sort of record for chemical names.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I struggle to pronounce a lot of words. Not sure if it's due to a learning disability or not, but I suck at talking lol

A word that never fails to get me, though, is Paralysis. I have to listen to it be pronounced all the time but it never sticks.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worcestershire sauce. I feel weird saying it all together, because no one says it the same way!
I find a lot of people pronounce it as "Worse-Chester" or "Were-Chester" and sometimes someone will add the "shire" at the end. I've also heard "War-ste-shire" and "whass-te-shure" (or some variations of that). I've also heard "wor-chess-ter-shire" and "wer-cess-ter-shire" But according to some research I've done on how to properly pronounce it (and who knows, I could be wrong - if anyone knows FOR SURE, please chime in!) supposedly it should be pronounced "Woo - ster - shire". IDK. To be honest, I don't think I'll ever really know how to pronounce it right.
Its definitely "Woo-ster-shire", but is most commonly referred to as "Woo-ster'. I'm in the UK, and that's how everyone says it (and the 'oo' is like 'look', not as in 'boo' ;)). My dad's addicted to the stuff, and it goes in virtually every meal :lol:

Onto the question. I'm not sure what words I have trouble pronouncing. I'm sure there are tons, but nothing immediately springs to mind :ruminating:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its definitely "Woo-ster-shire", but is most commonly referred to as "Woo-ster'. I'm in the UK, and that's how everyone says it (and the 'oo' is like 'look', not as in 'boo' ;)). My dad's addicted to the stuff, and it goes in virtually every meal :lol:

Onto the question. I'm not sure what words I have trouble pronouncing. I'm sure there are tons, but nothing immediately springs to mind :ruminating:
That's my slip up word too and I also love that stuff. Lea & Perrins is my go to brand.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot get my tongue around the pronunciation of the name: Sheila.

It comes out so weird. Just cannot get that “l” along with the “Ya” sound. :runaround:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like learning big words so I can use them in conversation and sound smart, but when I say "girl" it comes out rhyming too much with "earl" :doh:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom always said "Woo-ster-shur," but she said it with the boo sound. That sauce is very common in Louisiana cooking, and we lived in New Orleans for a while.

I've heard that Wooster is very close to the ancient Roman sauce garum. It was made by the barrel from fermented fish, and the Romans drowned everything in it.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
"Frank".. some reason the FR I can't properly formulate.

and for the live of me.. "Apocalypse" (And can never spell it either!! thank goodness for spellcheck)

had the hardest time with aluminum for the longest time too.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only think of one word - “Specific.” It always comes out as “Pacific” if I don’t slow down & think about it before I actually say it
My mom does the exact same thing. She also says 'Chicargo' instead of Chicago.

I can't think of any words I struggle to say, only spell.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have trouble with the letter "R". The only word I can think of right now is "regular". I can't spell it either. I also can not say Worcestershire sauce.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a problem with any specific words, although sometimes my tongue gets wrapped around my eyeteeth, so that I can't see what I'm saying.