Question Of The Day - Thursday 10 Jan

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What’s the stupidest way you have ever hurt yourself ? :doh:

I sneezed once and pinched a nerve in my neck. :lol: I couldn’t turn my head for for about a week.
I felt like an idiot whenever someone asked how I’d hurt it. Erm.. I sneezed ! :lol2:

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I drive a Honda Element (suicide doors...sort of) and I can't tell you how many times I've hit my head on this stupid metal piece that the doors latch onto. It hurts like crazy too...

The stupidest way I've ever hurt myself? Has to be the time I totally misjudged the stairs I walk up and down every day in my own home and stepped down to the floor a step too early. My knee buckled from the unexpected length of that step and I fell flat on my face. :rolleyes2:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few because every time I hurt myself it is because of something stupid! The worst involves four injuries on the same day: The day my now ex-husband and I were replacing the hot water tank in our home. It involves a broken belt loop that resulted in a scratched face and a knot on my head, a live wire that shocked me enough to knock me on my butt, a dropped old water tank that bruised my thigh, and a door that bruised the opposite side of my face.

More recently, I tripped on my pajama pant leg that got caught in the floor vent. The floor vent flipped, my foot went into the vent. The result was a twisted leg (my good leg!) and two toes were broken.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally misjudged the stairs I walk up and down every day in my own home and stepped down to the floor a step too early. My knee buckled from the unexpected length of that step and I fell flat on my face
Sorry to laugh, but my son does that all the time! He is 25 and very coordinated. I mean, he is in three different martial arts that require good coordination, for goodness sake! He just cannot seem to manage walking in our stairs.

Last edited:

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to laugh, but my son does that all the time! He is 25 and very coordinated. I mean, he is in three different martial arts that require good coordination, for goodness sake! He just cannot seem to manage walking in out stairs.
I have (unfortunately) done it more than once, but I usually manage to make that last step. The times I have missed before were in the dark and maybe a little more understandable (?), but the time I am talking about here was in broad daylight. :lol:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago I had a small black long-haired kitty named Teddy Bear. She absolutely loved for me to chase her. She’d run past me at top speed, put on the brakes, and look over her shoulder to see if I had gotten the message. I took off after her one day and she tore through the door into the bathroom. I misjudged the opening and as I ran through it (barefoot), I caught the edge of the door with my little toe. Ooof. Much hopping on one foot accompanied by every swear word in my repertoire, including some I made up on the spot. Teddy was not sympathetic. “Hey! You stopped chasing me!”

They don’t do much for broken toes, so I just taped them together and wore sandals to work for weeks. That was back when women wore only heels to the kind of job I had so it was a bit embarrassing to have to “dress down” and to explain why! :)

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I'm a frequent faller and have face planted in several countries!!!!!
I could answer this for days, really, I'm a klutz and the women in my family are always bandaged, bruised, bleeding and red faced!!!
Years ago, taking my soon to be dog for a testwalk, he was a strong Malamute, 9mo old, weighing 130lbs, took me for a drag, causing both of my shoes to fly off and my sunglasses crooked on my face. .Both elbows and knees were bleeding and my shirt was ripped!! Try explaining that look to a spouse and neighbor.:flail:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a rubber ducky I wanted to pierce a hole in to hang on my key chain. Using scissors, it wouldn't go through the rubber so I pressed harder and the blade sliced my thumb deeply. Blood was pouring down my arm. So dumb! :crazy: :frustrated:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In college, I saw that there was a dead bug on the floor of my dorm room, so I went to pick it up and my back went out. I ended up going to the emergency room because it was a small town on the weekend which meant the campus health center was closed.

The original injury that spurred a life of back pain was in high school during track practice. I was a discus thrower and I wanted to see what would happen if I dropped a discus into this hole filled with water. Turns out I hit something in the hole that made the football field sprinklers turn on. The field flooded and my teammates and I went mud-sliding. I threw out my back at some point but I didn't feel it until after the adrenaline wore off. To top it all off the lacrosse team was super pissed about having to play on a flooded field.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
moving wet laundry to the dryer (washer was located in bathroom, while dryer was in the unheated back enclosed porch), was wearing socks only on my feet, was during the winter, and stepped down and onto the end of my big toe. this resulted in a fractured toe, complete with nasty fracture blister. it still hurts to this day, when it's damp or damp/cold.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, I crouched down to pull a shrub out of the ground. It wasn't easy; the shrub wasn't going to go easily. I pulled and tugged, and it suddenly popped out of the ground. I fell back on my tailbone. While I rolled around the ground in agony, my sympathetic spouse stood there laughing at me. I don't know which hurt worse - the tailbone that took weeks to heal or my spouse laughing at me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked at a garage while in high school, we were putting a new engine into a car, and had to remove some parts from the old to install on the new. One of them was the bell housing, which connects engine and transmission. There were two bolts on the inside, and in trying to remove them, the wrench slipped. I still, after 60 years, carry a 2 inch scar on my thumb where it was laid open by the sharp edge.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One evening I was walking down the stairs while talking to my daughter on the cell phone. Unfortunately I did not turn on the hall light so did not see our dog sleeping on the landing. Needless to say I tripped over him, hit the back of my head on the bottom of the wooden stairs and my cell phone went flying. I saw my doctor the following morning because I had a major headache and she was concerned about the possibility of a concussion. When I explained how I hurt my head she said, "that's good to know because our labrador retriever does the same thing." Glad I was able to help you out doc. ;)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The folks in our house have always been so accident-prone that the signs of blood and gore don't bother me any more.

I trip going UP the stairs. It's bad enough in my house, but really embarrassing in public. Try tripping getting onto an escalator!

Amidst a plethora of stupid accidents, one stands out. We were working 12/6 and had been for a couple of months. In addition, I was tending to our almost two-year-old while my husband also went to college. It was her 2nd birthday and after work I decided to make her one of those cut-out bunny cakes since her grandparents were coming over for dinner and celebration. I had no stand mixer, so I was beating the batter with a hand mixer. The cord came loose where it attached to the mixer and plopped into the batter. I sleepily fished it out and popped it into my mouth to lick the batter off. At first the batter was sweet but it quickly became sharp and very unpleasant. It was then I realized I was being electrocuted. I screeched as I ripped the cord from my mouth. My husband came running. When he asked what had happened, all I told him was that the cord had come loose and startled me. It was years before I confessed.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I regularly run into walls. Like I'll be turning a corner I go around multiple times a day and just run into it full force. All. The. Time. I also tend to not open doors regularly and just...decide to open them with the rest of my body I guess. My back and shoulder hurt regularly. I have a lot of bruises.

One of the stupid animal-related ways I hurt myself was when I first got my dog. My dad asked the vet how to get the cat and dog to get along and he said just put them together and let them work it out. Let the dog chase the cat, let the cat shred the dog's face, etc. (needless to say they never got along until I moved out and got to do things my own way). On one of the (many) occasions the dog chased the cat, I reached down to grab his collar and banged my head really really hard on the corner of the dresser on my way back up. There was blood. My head hurt for weeks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's kind of hard for me to narrow this down to just one story....

My most recent silly accident was dropping a couch on my foot as I was moving it to clean underneath. Broke my toe and almost knocked my toe nail right of. It's still very bruised, but at least I can walk now.

I had to go to A&E three times last year, after Carpet scratched me while I was trying to pill her and the scratch got infected. My whole hand swelled up like a balloon.

I've also knocked myself unconscious falling out of trees, burnt myself making tea, had concussions and broken bones from falling off horses, almost drowned at least twice, crashed motorbikes, fallen into drainage ditches.....

Basically I'm just a walking disaster.

:sigh:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Told you I AM A FREQUENT FALLER!!!! We were in VICTORIA, BC CANADA, walking in the city when I stepped on the edge of the side walk and CRASH!!! Yes, I went down and split my kneecap-in front of a busload of tourists!! My husband looked down at me and said "what are you doing?' I told him "I'm bleeding, I think". He took me to a clinic and I spent 2 weeks on the couch!! Still wear a knee brace when the weather gets cold, this happened in 1996!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am extremely accident prone. It's in my genes. I am constantly bumping into things or hitting myself with something. Some of my more ridiculous injuries were spraying myself in the eye with cleaning solution, riding a bike down a steep driveway, losing control and going into a rocky pond, and walking out onto an icy walkway to get a picture (despite my husband telling me it was stupid) and slipping, breaking my pinky finger and losing a little of the tip of it. I saved the camera though. :lol: