Question of the Day: Sunday, October 30

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
I thought I'd woken up nice and early today, but I'd forgotten that the clocks had been turned back and I'd had an extra hour in bed.
So now I'm starting to panic. Yesterday it was already dark at 6 pm so today it will be dark at 5! Since I don't (can't) drive in the dark, I'll have to feed the ferals early and try to fit all my outdoor activities into the dwindling number of daylight hours. So I shouldn't be wasting time on TCS, but fixing a new washing line outside and dealing with the garden pond and container plants before it's too late.

At least I've already fed the birds who'll also be expecting their evening meal before the sun goes down.

I'm not sure if it was a good idea to feed birds this summer. A virus is killing off many birds but sparrows, pigeons, buzzards and magpies seem to be thriving - at least around my garden. Bluetits, coaltits, greenfinches, blackbirds, robins, woodpeckers are absent. I seem to be encouraging sparrows at the expense of other varieties. But, these are also living creatures and I can't not feed them.

I only have a small garden but at least 50 sparrows hide in the bushes and come to the feeder. A pair of pigeons nested in a tree, had one offspring and ate the seeds which fell to the ground, but I haven't noticed them recently. Magpies make a lot of noise but the main feeder is too close to the house for them to dare trying to hang from it to get to the seeds.

🐦Have you been feeding birds this summer? Have they been affected by the virus? 🕊
I know this is about the birds, but all I can think of is that you already fell back on the clock and US doesn't until 11/7 - what time is it anyway?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never feed birds. We’re discouraged from doing so at this villa anyway, because of the extra mess and because it attracts predatory birds and lapwings, which are big, make their nests on the ground, and defend them aggressively.