Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 22, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a routine for claw clipping. I guess I am very fortunate. Artie is somewhat crabby about his back paws, and does try to run away with the front ones, but on the whole he is very good at it.

I either do it on my chair, while holding tightly on to him.. or on the cat tree, where I brush him.

I generally clip them about every 3-4 weeks.
your Artie is such a good boy!!! :redheartpump:

so, a little crabby (about his back paws) and a little 'wiggly' (tries to run away, when you're clipping his front paws). :agree: he does really very well!! :clap:

and that's about the same time range between clippings that we have, about every 3 weeks, give or take.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have a set routine or a specific day, just do it whenever they get sharp and long - and the only ones whom I trim their nails regularly is Tippy Toes and Camelot.

Camelot only because he is a big kneader when he is laying down on my lap, and the nails really hurt :lol: Just nicer for both of us to enjoy each other's company comfortably instead of me going "Ow ow ow ow Cam stop" and shift his paws around.

Tippy Toes has 24 toes in all, and she loves climbing up on me. Which is lovely but also hurts. But on top of that, since she is a poly and her toesies can get snagged and twisted fairly easily (Especially since she is still a baby and rambunctious) it's also safer for her to get them trimmed.

So far, thankfully, neither of them seemed to mind too much.

Meadow had hers done recently a couple times, but only because when I found her they were overgrown and digging underneath her paw. But now they are dandy and she is bouncing around happily.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None at all. We stopped trying to do it ourselves a while ago. Casper has little patience now that he's older and his health is declining. Cocoa, with dark Tortie fur and lots of between-toe fluff, well it's difficult to even see her claws.
Casper gets clipped regularly since he's at the vet a lot these days. We drag Cocoabean with us every couple of months so she can get hers done.
Both use scratching posts all the time. They are good kitties :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhh, you and your Jasmine have 'agreed' on an acceptable way to trim her claws!!! :thumbsup: well done!! :)
Acceptable, yes, within limits (I can't make her roll over to get at the claws on the other side more easily, for instance), but she'll never actually like it. That's too much to ask for.

I think it's gradually sinking in that I say "Ow!" less frequently when her claws have been clipped. And she always gets praise and cuddles during and after clipping. That seems to cut the anxiety a lot. I am, of course, extremely careful to avoid cutting too deep, and it probably helps that the clippers are small -- less threatening. I know it helps that, because this particular nail clipper is part of my pocket knife I don't have to fumble with it. I open it out and the rest of the knife fits inside of the curve of my fingers so my thumb can work the clippers, which is an extremely stable arrangement.

Margret

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We normally set aside the first Sunday afternoon of the month for claw clipping, ear cleaning, etc. Tabby is wonderful about letting us clip her claws and clean her ears....once we catch her, that is. We try to do her first, simply because it's easier to grab her first. Tabby pretty much lays in my arms while Rick clips. Then he cleans her ears out well. Once he's done, she knows it and she starts to squirm to be put down. I put her on the floor and she zooms out of the bathroom.

Mollipop. :sigh: We've always said that you can hear Molli screaming on Pluto. I grab her and Rick starts in. She might let us clip a claw, maybe two if we're lucky, and then she starts yelling at us and tossing herself in my arms. A lot of "Molli, NO! Molli STOP! Molli, behave! Please, Molli!" Followed by ":censored: it, Molli, stop it right now!" And all the while she's screaming like the Hellhounds are on her tail. We've never clipped her too closely; Rick is very careful. But she hates having her claws clipped. We consider ourselves lucky if we can manage 6 or 7 claws at one time. I put her on the floor, she snorts at me and says, "I win. Again." And saunters out of the bathroom. Brat.

After we're done, everybody gets a treat in the kitchen. And til we're done, everybody is out in the kitchen waiting!
your Tabby is 'good as gold', while Molli just isn't 'having it'!!! :alright:

we do our nail trimming in the bathroom too most times! sometimes it's upstairs in the 'cat room' though. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many, many cats and have never trimmed their claws on any of them. I always check their claws when they sleep on my lap and have NEVER seen a need. No excessive 'curl' back into the paw, etc. They use a corrugated scratcher regularly. Even Burt, my 17 year old, had claws that were just fine. They all use trees too when I supervise them in the back yard.
ahhh, your cats have never needed their claws trimmed!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is never only one "Salon Day" for Milly. :sigh:
I wish there was but she won't let me do all her nails at once.

I have to catch a few here and there, as the opportunity arises. :disappointed:
your Milly tolerates a few nails clipped here and there, as the opportunity arises!!! :thumbsup: it sounds like you've found a way to get your girl's nails clipped, that works best for Milly too. very nice!! :agree:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When the claws get bad enough, we make the trek to the vet's office. The last time I tried to do them myself, I had to have stitches. Hekitty does not tolerate any trifling with her royal self.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had 1 to 6 cats, every Saturday was mani / pedi time. I'd get each one, sit in the recliner and wedge kitty in between me and the left side arm, then snip, snip, snip.

As my pet family grew, this happened less and less. Now, I just clip nails on the 3 who come to me when I am in bed. They are the ones who get their nails in to me! Not intentionally, of course. I keep the small nail clippers in the nightstand drawer, and will cuddle a kitty and snip, snip, snip. This usually results in the other 2 dashing off. So I don't do those 3 together, now.
that's a very good routine, clipping your three's nails while cuddling with them in bed -- at different times!!! :clap: great!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only trim the ones who like to dig their claws into me while sitting on my lap ;). Otherwise, no need. I just keep the clippers near the couch and if someone pokes me, snip!
only the cats who might dig their claws into you while enjoying lap time, and clippers are kept handy!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both cats get their claws done in the bathroom. Leroy is done on the counter facing away from me. He's usually good at holding still but has this annoying habit of trying to lift up the opposite leg while I'm clipping the paw on the other leg :doh: Sometimes he gets fussy and complains. If he's really cranky, he'll hiss. Emma is done on the floor tucked between my knees. She has a habit of tipping over onto her side if I do her on the counter no matter how firmly I hold her in place:dunno: Emma tolerates clipping a lot better now than when I first adopted her. She'll hold still and maybe complain.

Claw clipping is usually combined with tooth brushing. Once a month they get their flea prevention treatment as well. I figure since I already have them in the bathroom, might as well do everything at once.
that's smart, to do everything at once! :agree:

such good kitties, your Leroy and Emma!!! :cloud9: they're very cooperative with their claw clipping. very nice!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby hates having her paws touched, so nail clipping doesn't go well. I try to do a claw now and then when she's in a deep sleep on my lap, but there's certainly no routine. :(
i understand......:alright: you're doing the best that you can! :thumbsup:

our Punky really doesn't like her paws handled much. i've been able to work with her, touching and stroking her paws several times on a regular basis, to give her 'positive', good times to experience when i'm touching her paws. for us, this has helped. that isn't to say that it would help other cats.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got cats and they told me I needed to trim their nails, I tried with Swanie. He pitched a royal fit. At that point I researched and found the only reason I would need to do it is if they grow abnormally, or if you are worried about them scratching up your house. So far, they grow normally, and my cats aren't scratching up anything except the carpet under the door of a room we had closed against them once. That can be replaced, and I have learned they don't like to be excluded. I have scratchies all over the place, they take care of their own.
ahhh, a great solution!!! :cloud9: and lots of scratchies around your home too!! great! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neely's claws were a breeze to trim. Her predecessors were not as keen on it so it was a 2 person procedure, i.e. DH would hold the cat and I would trim. However, Carleton, my extremely docile Persian, turns into a tiger when he needs his nails trimmed. His paws are extremely sensitive and the vet confirmed that as well. :wink:
your Neely was 'good as gold' with nail trimming! :redheartpump: her predecessors....not so. :sigh:

and your Carleton turns into a tiger!! :eek2: your boy has extremely sensitive paws. the poor sweetie! :alright:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have a set routine or a specific day, just do it whenever they get sharp and long - and the only ones whom I trim their nails regularly is Tippy Toes and Camelot.

Camelot only because he is a big kneader when he is laying down on my lap, and the nails really hurt :lol: Just nicer for both of us to enjoy each other's company comfortably instead of me going "Ow ow ow ow Cam stop" and shift his paws around.

Tippy Toes has 24 toes in all, and she loves climbing up on me. Which is lovely but also hurts. But on top of that, since she is a poly and her toesies can get snagged and twisted fairly easily (Especially since she is still a baby and rambunctious) it's also safer for her to get them trimmed.

So far, thankfully, neither of them seemed to mind too much.

Meadow had hers done recently a couple times, but only because when I found her they were overgrown and digging underneath her paw. But now they are dandy and she is bouncing around happily.
no set routine or specific day, and only the cats who like to knead, climb, and Tippy Toes as needed because she's still a baby and polydactyl!!! :thumbsup: that's great!! :)

that's something i want to avoid, the possibility of claws becoming overgrown and then digging into the paw pads. and with our Punky, also polydactyl, i feel that's especially important. :agree:

and neither your Tippy Toes nor Camelot seemed to mind much!! most excellent! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None at all. We stopped trying to do it ourselves a while ago. Casper has little patience now that he's older and his health is declining. Cocoa, with dark Tortie fur and lots of between-toe fluff, well it's difficult to even see her claws.
Casper gets clipped regularly since he's at the vet a lot these days. We drag Cocoabean with us every couple of months so she can get hers done.
Both use scratching posts all the time. They are good kitties :)
that sounds like the best way for your Casper's nail clipping to be done, at the vet's. :agree: senior cats hold a very special place in my heart. :redheartpump: and that's ideal for your Cocoabean's nail clipping too!! :D

and both cats use their scratching posts too! :clap: