Question Of The Day, Sunday, November 25, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

since it's now after Thanksgiving, my cats and myself will be starting to enjoy Christmas music.

for today's Question of the Day......

Do you enjoy listening to Christmas/holiday music? and if so, What are some of your favorite songs?

i'll start!

i really enjoy Christmas music, especially the classic songs by older singers. Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, and etc. i like Michael Buble too, because he sings in the style of older singers. :agree:

one of my favorite songs is Oh Holy Night, though it brings tears to my eyes listening to it. other favorites are I'll Be Home For Christmas, and White Christmas. there are so many Christmas songs i enjoy listening to. :cloud9:

How about you?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Christmas music. At least, not your typical ones. The only one that plays on the radio normally that I like is 'War is Over' by John Lennon.
The ones I like, I can't put on here. Paul Simon and Steve Martin's 'Silver Bells' is one of my favorites.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always enjoyed the song, "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." There are more but this was the first one that came to mind.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that Christmas song by John Lennon. Also Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Anything by Johnny Mathis.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Christmas music. Some of my favorites include any from Frank Sinatra (but I love all Sinatra music) and then some of the newer stuff by Michael Buble and She & Him, both who I also love their non-Christmas music.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I like Mannheim Steamroller, too, as well as Windham Hill’s Winter Solstice series. And I love the sacred choral works such as Handel’s Messiah and Bach’s Christmas Oratorio. I don’t have a religious bone in my body, but these pieces are gorgeous and inspiring—particularly if experienced live performed by an outstanding choir such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Mannheim Steamroller also and the Transiberian Orchestra. There is also a disc of a New York orchestra with a prima diva singing an upbeat song about the "little man-child" that I just adore. I would dig it out to get all the info correct, but it means yoga acrobatics to get to it right now.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could listen to Christmas music for 6 months of the year! :hearthrob:

20s, 30s, 40s, 50s ... those decades are my favorites.

Here is some Bing Crosby for everyone...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like Christmas music. At least, not your typical ones. The only one that plays on the radio normally that I like is 'War is Over' by John Lennon.
The ones I like, I can't put on here. Paul Simon and Steve Martin's 'Silver Bells' is one of my favorites.
you prefer 'not typical' Christmas music!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

hmmm......i don't know that i've heard John Lennon's War is Over. maybe i have, but just didn't know the name of the song...:think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always enjoyed the song, "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." There are more but this was the first one that came to mind.
you've always enjoyed Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, as well as other Christmas songs!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

that's really a lovely song...:cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that Christmas song by John Lennon. Also Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Anything by Johnny Mathis.
you also like War is Over by John Lennon, as well as Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie, and anything by Johnny Mathis!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

many years ago, i saw Johnny Mathis at the Kennedy Center.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my family never celebrated Holidays, so I don't listen to Xmas music.
But sometimes I watch Christmas movies that have music in them.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Christmas music. Some of my favorites include any from Frank Sinatra (but I love all Sinatra music) and then some of the newer stuff by Michael Buble and She & Him, both who I also love their non-Christmas music.
you love Christmas music, some of your favorites include by Frank Sinatra, and newer songs by Michael Buble and She & Him!!! :clap: that's great!! :)

i think i've heard She & Him, and liked them very much. i listen to Christmas music via Pandora, so there are always new artists and songs thrown in here and there.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't actively listen to Christmas songs. If they happen to be on, I'll enjoy them. I think the years of working retail and having to endure Christmas songs the day after thanksgiving all the way to Christmas desensitized me.
The only time I purposely listen to Christmas songs is on Christmas.

Any iteration of "Joy to the world" is hilarious to me, because it reminds me of my childhood Christmas programs where we had to sing it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't actively listen to Christmas songs. If they happen to be on, I'll enjoy them. I think the years of working retail and having to endure Christmas songs the day after thanksgiving all the way to Christmas desensitized me.
The only time I purposely listen to Christmas songs is on Christmas.

Any iteration of "Joy to the world" is hilarious to me, because it reminds me of my childhood Christmas programs where we had to sing it.
Including the one by Three Dog Night?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Christmas music but not Transiberian or Manheim .. I like fun stuff I can sing along to. Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is the best song she's ever done and all my friends think I'm a real nerd for loving that song as much as I do. Can't help it. :crazy:

My other favorite is Brenda Lee's version of Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree. When I was little I misheard it when she says "pumpkin pie" in the song, and thought she said "f***in' pie" and I got a smack in the face for singing along (truly I thought those were the words).... :updown:
But now I point it out to people and we sing it that way and cackle like idiots.

Working in a chain retail pharmacy, I'm the only person who gets excited when they start with the Xmas music. Whatevah! Stay cranky then. :p