Question of the Day: Sunday, May 7

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallo Everybody!
Are you still awake? It's not yet midnight here but for some of you it's already Monday!

Sorry for the late posting but I've had visitors - a nephew and niece of my late partner. I won't go into details but it wasn't easy, as, although they were friendly, they were both strangers to me. Three of my cats showed their disapproval by disappearing into various cupboards and under beds so I hadn't seen them for 2 days but we are all back to normal now.

I don't have visitors often - particularly not overnight guests - and I'm not sure I enjoy playing hostess particularly when I'm on my own trying to entertain at the same time as putting a meal on the table. I am always relieved to see them go even though I can usually say - "it wasn't really that bad!"

How about you? Do you often have visitors - is it a pleasure or a chore?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. My daughter comes to visit every now and then but I don't consider her a visitor. My home will always be hers too. She and her hubby are always welcome. Everyone else? Bye. Get a hotel room or stay home. I have no desire to entertain anyone any more. The cats don't want anyone here either. All members of management vote no so that's what it is. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't really have the space for guests overnight. it's hard in some ways because that means no one really visits us unless they can get a hotel. So almost no one does. We have to go to everyone else if we want to see family. It's a bit of a sore spot that DH and I are working out. For all our +20 years together we were spending every "vacation" going to see his side of the family or mine. Now that I only have one grandparent left and my kids are bigger; it was really bothering me that their only travel experiences were to see family or the one time we went to Disney. So now we are trying to do one actual trip a year.

When we do have people come I do ok; but being introverted, it's stressful too. I never feel like I have my house really as in order as I should for company. I try to do easy meals and include one meal out. My Dad and stepmom are the ones that come through most because her family lives only a few hours away. She also traveled for work constantly so she had good hotel rewards to use for a couple nights here and there. I do dream of a bigger house where I have actual guest space. They've come enough times that it's easier to let them see an untidy desk or corner.

Other guests... it's still not my best talent. I'm a good cook; I'm just not social enough I guess. And that reminds me; DS's godparents wanted to stop by for his birthday soon. Oops! :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We seldom have visitors, mainly because most of our friends have passed on or are housebound due to age or infirmity, and our relatives, for the most part, have either passed on or scattered to the four winds. Yeah, it really sucks to get old; of course, it beats the alternative. So, you could say that I'm ambivalent, while the cats find visitors to be a PITA.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely have visitors. Since I am back in a one bedroom apartment I go to see the kids and grandkids. I am an introvert so I find entertaining guests a draining chore. I used to be ashamed of that but I am not anymore, I am an introvert and that is just the way I am.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
No. . . Get a hotel room or stay home. I have no desire to entertain anyone any more. The cats don't want anyone here either. All members of management vote no so that's what it is. :lol:
``:yeah: ~ I do invite a friend over now and then for a visit — IF they are still alive or have not moved away . 😏☕
I would make an exception for Jennifer Lopez — but she never calls back .

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have visitors very often. I did have a friend over today to help me organize my craft room, but that was a rarity. I live alone and having people over can be good or it can be awful. My house isn't very big (especially since I keep the basement blocked off from my dogs so the cats have a big safe space) and I held a party here a few months ago and I got overstimulated very quickly because of the noise and the small space (there were also 4 kids under 7). I was able to control my anger though which is my default response to overstimulation.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
... I held a party here a few months ago and I got overstimulated very quickly because of the noise and the small space ( there were also 4 kids under 7). I was able to control my anger though which is my default response to overstimulation.
~ Next time wear this ...
ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,flatlay,fafafa_ca443f4786,front,wide_portrait,750x1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

➰

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only visitors we have are Mum’s care attendants and her physio-exercise trainers. There isn’t room for visitors here - we have two armchairs and anyone else in the place has to sit on a folding chair. There’s no dining table and both units are one-bedroom. If I want to talk to someone in the village it’s easier to sit in the community area or outside, weather permitting.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Before Covid, we often had house guests staying over, I really enjoy it. I make dinner when they arrive, then breakfast the next day. I love spoiling them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When our kids and us were younger we had guests frequently, e.g. family visitors or sleepovers for our children's schoolmates.
Our house was always open and adult friends would often drop in for coffee and conversation. But the kids grew up and moved away and we usually meet friends at a diner/restaurant because it's easier than cleaning and cooking which is fine with me. The best company is our neighbors with dogs who come and sit in the yard with us while the dogs run and play. 🐾

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have always loved having visitors. We always made room for people, whether on an air mattress in the computer room or on the couch. And now that we have the Shed, it's easier for a guest to have her own space. One of my GFs used to come down to visit every now and then. We'd make the shopping rounds, go out for dinner once or twice. And just sit by the pool and chat the afternoon away. Sadly, it stopped during Covid.

And I love cooking breakfasts and even dinners.

Just let me know a couple days ahead of time!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have visitors often, and it is a chore when I do. I've alway hated it when husband invites people over for a meal and then just disappears when it's time to fix said meal. The only overnight guests I've had have been his family or my family. My family I enjoy, his not so much.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes host events for holidays or special occasions like a birthday, but overall, no, I don't get visitors and never overnight. All our family live in the area so there's never been the need. And if friends ever come to town, they usually stay with their own families.
I'm perfectly fine with this, while I like hosting a dinner now and then, I like my quiet space. We did have my sister and nieces stay with us several years ago, before they moved back to town. They're probably the only people that I can tolerate in my space for an extended period of time. My sister just made the house hers and did her thing, no expectations of "entertaining" them, which was nice.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess we've gotten crotchety in our old age and we don't have much company at all..We kind of like our peace and serenity these days,so mostly any visitors have to do with his bees.Our son and daughter in law come for the day on occasion,but their lives are so busy.... neither one has much time at home.It's all good.