Question Of The Day, Sunday, May 21, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speed Queen washer and a Whirlpool dryer. The washer is amazing, best washer we've ever had. Top loader with an agitator.

I do laundry on Wednesday nights and then again on Sunday mornings. I'm pretty good about getting the clothes out of the dryer promptly, it's rare that the laundry sits in the dryer for any length of time. I hate wrinkled anything and if clothes are wrinkled, then I have to spend time with the iron; I'm not fond of ironing. (My mother used to make me iron everything: tablecloths, sheets, pillowcases....I spent hours with the iron.)

For two people, we sure do have a lot of laundry. Throw in the towels, sheets, and kitty blankets and we probably do 7-8 loads of laundry a week. I sort through the laundry and wash according to whites and colors (my MIL gave me a zippered bag to wash underwear in; makes it nice because the bras don't get wrapped around anything). Then a load of sheets once a week (although I wash pillowcases on Wednesdays and Sundays) and a load of kitty blankets (once every two weeks or so). One load of towels, washcloths and such every week. It adds up.

I would prefer to hang sheets and towels outside, if I could.
ahhh, your Speed Queen washer -- top loader with an agitator!!! :cloud9:

laundry on wednesday nights and sunday mornings!! very nice! :thumbsup: my clothes don't seem to get wrinkled sitting in my dryer for a few hours...:think:...:dunno:

wow!!! 7-8 loads of laundry a week! :jawdrop: you're right though, it does add up! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a front load machine and usually do laundry sometime on the weekend. I separate lights and darks. I use Tide liquid detergent, Downy liquid and Downy dryer sheets. I do a separate load of sheets every week. I have enough towels to last two weeks so I do a separate load of towels every other week. I use cold water for everything.
a front load machine, and laundry done sometime on the weekend!! :clap:

ahhh......you have enough towels to last two weeks, so only need to do a load of towels every other week! :yeah: this is why i generally do one load of clothing/towels per week, because i have enough to last (and then some) until my washer is full!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Laundry is the one area where I have decided to treat myself. I live three stories up in a four-story walk-up with two washers & dryers in the basement. The stairs to the basement are quite steep. I used to do my laundry down there & it would take a good chunk of my weekend, especially since there always seemed to be a neighbor trying to use the machines at the same time.

Now I call the dry cleaners/laundry service three doors down the block. They pick up & drop off, it's always expertly folded & usually the socks are matched. This is my one luxury. Like others above, I do it when underwear runs out. I'm guessing it will happen some time this week.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HE toploader, I think it's a Whirlpool but I'm not home to look ;). I didn't pick it out; it came with the house. I have to put it on soak for it to clean properly. I'm not sure if that's inherent to HE toploaders or if it's just this model. It doesn't have an agitator in the middle.

I put a scoop of OxiClean and a Gain fling in the bottom of the washer, and throw all my dirty clothes in the washer as I use them. I don't sort anything. When it gets full enough I run the load. I probably do about 3 loads a week. I use dryer sheets to help with the static.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HE toploader, I think it's a Whirlpool but I'm not home to look ;). I didn't pick it out; it came with the house. I have to put it on soak for it to clean properly. I'm not sure if that's inherent to HE toploaders or if it's just this model. It doesn't have an agitator in the middle.

It's set on warm wash, cold rinse. I run it whenever I think it's full enough to run, no set time or day. If I want to take a shower or run the dishwasher, I set the timer so it'll run in a few hours, usually after I've gone to bed. My mom says I shouldn't do that, that it might break a water hose in the middle of the night or something, but so far. . .? LOL, someday she'll be right and she'll never let me forget it :tongue:.

I put a scoop of OxiClean and a Gain fling in the bottom of the washer, and throw all my dirty clothes in the washer as I use them. I don't sort anything. When it gets full enough I run the load. I probably do about 3 loads a week. I use unscented dryer sheets to help with the static. Bras are washed in a bra bag with everything else and hung to dry. Dryer heat really messes up bras. Other than that I don't sort anything out.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laundry gets done around here when when the hamper is full and/or we're running out of clean clothes. Our current top loading washer is a piece of you-know-what, and is almost always on the fritz. So doing laundry has become a major chore, and it's the last resort before having to consider joining a nudist colony. ;-)

Speed Queen washer and a Whirlpool dryer. The washer is amazing, best washer we've ever had. Top loader with an agitator.
Can you stop and start your washer whenever you need to, or is the cycle pretty much locked in once it starts? We got a GE a few years back because it was the only one we saw at the time without a zillion safety features that would allow us to do our laundry as we always had. For example, opening the lid to toss in a delicate item for a few swishes of the agitator, and then take it right back out, rinsing a load twice without having to go through two entire cycles, etc. Argh!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm procrastinating switching the laundry out at the moment. :lol:

I used to always do laundry on Monday's. Lately it's whenever I'm down to my last pair of undies. :rolleyes2:

I divide everything into lights and darks, I don't use fabric softener on the kid's clothing so that's 4 piles there. Towels are another pile. I might wash jeans or pinks/reds separate if things are newer but I always use a color catcher sheet with dark loads. We use All Free & Clear but I just got the version that has a lavender like scent to use with towels and bedding. I use Downy Free liquid fabric softener on everything but the kid's clothing.

I air dry most of my clothing and a lot of DH's. I keep a drying rack and extra plastic hangers in the shower in the kid's bathroom. I still cringe remembering the flying ants I'd find in my socks when Mom would dry them outside. :cringe: I dry things on the coolest setting possible too. I can't stand things shrinking. DH just cleaned our dryer exhaust line and changed the vent hose on on the back of the dryer this weekend. It wasn't as bad as I expected; but I'm glad keeping that clean is a job we can handle ourselves.

And with that; I'm going to get back to it!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My apartment complex has a small laundromat attached. I usually go at night during the warmer months, sometimes after midnight. Just the basics. I use pods which include fabric softener. I don't buy whites, so I don't have to bleach, although I occasionally use a brightener.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Sears top loading washer and dryer. I use All and Downy fabric softener. I wash my clothes all together since I don't have any white (except for my underwear) in cold water and my towels and sheets in hot water. I wash 2 or 3 loads a week, whenever I run out of underwear. I try to wash my clothes the same day as that means I can make less trips up and down those hateful old stairs. It is kind of hard to use a cane and carry laundry up and down stairs.

Muffy
clothes washed all together in cold water, and towels and sheets together in hot water!!! :thumbsup: and 2 or 3 loads a week!:)

several years ago, i fractured my big toe while moving laundry from my washer (in my bathroom) and my dryer (then located in my unheated back enclosed porch) -- it was on the steps down into the back enclosed porch that that happened. it can be dangerous, moving laundry while trying to negotiate steps!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a washing machine, but I got rid of it. The water pressure just wasn't enough for it to run properly and there are very few good drying days in this part of the world.

I do all my laundry at the coin laundry now. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night, when we're doing the supermarket run. We can just stick it all in one of those huge washer-driers and it's all done by the time we've finished shopping. All we have to do is fold it when we get back home.
ahhh, at the coin laundry!!! :clap: ...wait...they make machines that first wash, and then dry the laundry...? i really loved those huge washers and dryers at the laundromat. :D

and that's a very efficient laundry 'routine' you have!! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never do the laundry.
Wait, let me explain!
My fiance does it. The machines are in the (unfinished) basement and it's difficult for me to carry all that clothing down the (old) stairs, let alone getting them back up again due to osteoarthritis in my knees.
This alone could be a reason to keep him :p
He does several loads, usually it's 3, on weekends. I've learned not to complain about anything laundry related because that would be completely ungrateful. Tide HE and Downy Unstopables in the wash. Bounce sheets in the dryer.
your fiance does the laundry.....:cloud9: and several loads, on the weekends!! :thumbsup:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
ahhh, at the coin laundry!!! :clap: ...wait...they make machines that first wash, and then dry the laundry...? i really loved those huge washers and dryers at the laundromat. :D

and that's a very efficient laundry 'routine' you have!! :cloud9:
I'm really hoping they'll make a machine that washes, dries and folds one day soon.

;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have those washer/dryer combos in Japan and Europe. I wonder why they don't have them here in the US! I bet it would cost a fortune if you tried to find one.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No particular day to do laundry but usually one or two loads on Sunday and another one or two on a weekday. Rainy days are especially good for doing laundry. Still using the same top loader, Maytag, I have used for many years, (takes a licking and keeps on ticking).:wink: I wash all the delicates in cold water on a gentle cycle, everything else on medium warm with the exception of sheets/towels. I use All laundry detergent and Bounce dryer sheets - both are free & clear of scents. In the summer I love hanging my delicate tops out to dry, they smell so fresh and no need to iron.
no particular laundry day, but usually 1-2 loads on Sunday and another 1-2 on a weekday!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!

and laundry is separated, then washed in specific water temps! :agree:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No particular day. I use Tide pods, Downy liquid fabric softener and Snuggle scent boosters. Usually 2 loads a week.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be quite organized as to when I did laundry, vacuuming and so on. The past 2 years, needing and having the 2 knee replacements and now waiting on hip replacement on June 12, I do laundry when I must; going down the cellar stairs, and up again, is a challenge. I hope to get to my routine again in about August. Fingers crossed this left hip is my last joint replacement; right hip is not an issue at least not yet.

My washer is a top loading HE washer. I don't bother sorting colors, haven't done that in many years. Periodically I will pull out all the whites and wash them with bleach. I use either the quick wash cycle setting, or the cotton / normal. I use 7th generation unscented detergent. I was a Tide user for many years; as was my Mum. Then I got my first HE washer, a front loading one. I switched to Tide HE. One of my dogs starting itching to the point her hair was thinning, she had spots bleeding. I thought maybe food issues, tried changing foods. Over a 4 month period I changed out so many things! Finally one day a bichon breeder on Facebook asked if I had changed my laundry detergent? Bingo! The timing was perfect! I got the 7th generation soap, and did over 60 loads in a week. See, bichons are always UP, on a sofa, a chair, a lap, in the bed. So I had to do all the clothes, all the bedding from the mattress pads on up, pillows as well as pillow cases. And by this time it was October so I had 2 seasons of clothes to do. Plus I had to do all the pet bedding, pet chair covers. And that solved her problem, no more itching, her hair grew back, and never another issue. Whew!

In researching online, I learned many people and pets have issues with Tide. Who knew?!

I do use the dryer though I also have lines in the cellar and will often put things over there to dry - mostly bedding, sheets, quilts, comforters etc. No clothespins used. And I don't use dryer sheets, especially after that horrible time with a pet reacting to something in the laundry cycle!
sending :vibes::vibes::vibes: for a smooth and fast recovery after your upcoming hip replacement surgery!

that's actually kind of scary, that the Tide HE detergent can cause such a severe reaction in some (people/animals). when my new washer/dryer were installed, i read the owner's manuals for them -- i always read those things. there was a whole section promoting the use of Tide laundry products, which i found quite annoying. i'm not a fan of Tide. i chose to continue using the wegman's brand liquid detergent that i've used for years. it's not an HE detergent, but with using the white vinegar (in the fabric softener compartment) i've had no problems whatsoever.

and you use the dryer, and also some things get line dried in the cellar!!! :clap: very nice! i use my dryer too, and never line dry. i just don't have the patience to line dry. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that, so I guess I put it in the fabric softener spot for my top loading HE washer.

@mother dragon I grew up with that solar dryer as well! :p We have huge white pines in our back yard, so always had to shake the clothes to get the ants out! And I agree they always smelled great - the clothes, I mean!
yes, that's where i put the white vinegar!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up, we had a solar clothes dryer - a clothesline out in the sun. Clotheslines were either in long rows or a square whirligig. Either way, there was a prescribed order for hanging the washing. Sheets always went on the outside; unmentionables were on the inside where they couldn't be seen. Pants went on those awful pants stretchers and were then hung. Everything smelled wonderful that way. If it started to rain, we not only took in our own laundry, but if our neighbors weren't home, we brought theirs in, too.

Now our homeowners' association forbids clotheslines, even if they're hidden in the back yard, so we hang a lot of our stuff in the garage. It doesn't get the same wonderful smell. Sheets, blankets, underwear, and towels go into the dryer.

We have an HE front loader washer. It does an incredible job. I've even left a tissue in clothes and had it come out clean and intact. The clothes come out cleaner and with less wear. The machine also uses less detergent and water. You get no odor if you leave the door ajar after use. What's not to like?
ahhh, we had a 'square whirligig' when i was growing up! :)

a lot of your laundry is hang-dried in your garage, and specific items go into the dryer!! :thumbsup:

yes! an HE front loader washer!!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently I'm only allowed to do laundry weekdays between like 9am and 5pm. The person upstairs complained to management about how my washer and dryer were too noisy and disruptive... 8 months after I had moved in with a brand new washer and dryer:angrywoman: The person never said anything to me, just went straight to management. Oh, and this person is also on the condo board and does his laundry and vacuums at 11pm while I'm trying to sleep :yelling: I even paid a plumber quite a bit of money to have a water hammer device thing installed to keep the pipes from rattling if that was the problem. No idea if it helps or not. For awhile I used to look out the window Mondays (my day off then) at 8am and once I saw the person getting into his car, I would start laundry. Lately he's been home all the time (works from home now maybe?) so I try to wait until at least 9am or until I hear his heavy footsteps clomping around. Good thing the person is upstairs and can't hear Leroy zooming around like a nut case :eek2:

On laundry days, I sort my laundry. I usually have 2 or 3 loads a week, sometimes 4. I use cold water for everything. For darks I use Woolite's detergent for darks. For everything else I use Wegman's own brand. I had been using Woolite Everyday but when the scent changed to the current Sparkling Falls scent, I had to find a new detergent. Sparking Falls is heavily perfumed and almost bathroom cleaner-like :barfgreen: I don't use fabric softener or vinegar. I use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets. Some things just get hung up to dry or placed flat on a drying rack.

For those who want to use vinegar in a front loading machine, you pour the vinegar into the compartment labeled for Fabric Softener. If you have a regular top loading machine, you pour the vinegar in at the last rinse cycle. I'm not sure if you can just put the vinegar into one of those fabric softener balls and toss it in at the beginning of the wash. White vinegar is typically used but I found a few web sites that says apple cider vinegar can also be used.
oh my!!! :hugs: i had people living above me in my last apartment that vacuumed at between 11pm and midnight......one night. i called my landlord the next day to discuss it with him, and it turned out that the people living above me were deaf. landlord did contact those tenants, and no more vacuuming during the overnight hours. your situation with the man who lives above you sounds much worse...and very annoying too!:argh:

laundry sorted, and 2 or 3 loads a week -- sometimes 4!!! :clap: cold water, and Woolite for darks and Wegman's brand detergent. :agree: dryer balls...interesting! :think:

your experience with the Sparkling Falls Woolite Everyday scent reminds me of the lollypops my bank gives out. specifically the red lollypops, which taste exactly like sucrets cough drops......:barf:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laundry is the one area where I have decided to treat myself. I live three stories up in a four-story walk-up with two washers & dryers in the basement. The stairs to the basement are quite steep. I used to do my laundry down there & it would take a good chunk of my weekend, especially since there always seemed to be a neighbor trying to use the machines at the same time.

Now I call the dry cleaners/laundry service three doors down the block. They pick up & drop off, it's always expertly folded & usually the socks are matched. This is my one luxury. Like others above, I do it when underwear runs out. I'm guessing it will happen some time this week.
the dry cleaners/laundry service a few doors down the lock!!! :cloud9: a very nice treat! and certainly makes sense, with you living three stories up in your building and other tenants doing their laundry during your available time to do it. :agree: