Question of the Day, Sunday March 31st

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you ever laugh during inappropriate circumstances?

I have this terrible problem. Ever heard the world's worst rendition of "The Rose" by Bette Middler being belted out at a wedding? I have. At least, I think I have, over all that awful snorting and wailing and crying sounds I was making. And I really didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I never do.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, for me I laugh when I'm nervous or uncomfortable. Meeting new people is exhausting because I dread laughing at the wrong time. There have been some ground open up and swallow me moments.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope; I'm pretty good at maintaining a poker face. Later, when in private, I might have a good yuk, though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it all the time, no understand on why I do it at all.....my husband will often say, "why are you laughing, it's NOT funny!" I think it is because of it sounds so ridiculous it is funny to me at least, or maybe it sounds unbelieveable and I think they are making it up, but maybe because of I don't really know how to react and it is nervousness? I also have a weird sense of humor and weird dark things are funny to me.....:paperbag:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All. The. Time. It's my defense mechanism. I also laugh when things are ridiculous, but not necessarily "funny" which may come across as rude but I can't really help it. I have also on occasion made a joke or made light in a serious situation/conversation to break the tension.....sometimes it gets a "too soon" look, other times people laugh as they too need that release.
The thing is, laughing is not just a response for something funny, it's a physiological response for an emotional release from anger, frustration, exasperation, ridiculousness and even sadness among many other emotions...I wish more people knew that.

I also have a pretty twisted sense of humor...so that can come out at inappropriate times as well.
I remember at my Grandfather's funeral, one of my family members was not in a good place mentally and kept insisting that he moved (my DEAD Grandfather moved in the coffin :rolleyes3:)...
Anyway, we of course did not make fun of her to her face or in ear shot, and we didn't really talk about her behind her back, but one of my cousins did make a joke and me, my sister and her laughed....HARD. We laugh so much that we looked like we were crying, and people would walk by and offer up condolences or just give us extra sympathetic looks...which of course made things even funnier to us.:lol:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to do this but as I have gotten older I don't. I didn't make a big effort to curtail it, I just quit doing it. I didn't even realize that I had quit until I thought about this question.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have laughed at inappropriate moments, but thankfully it doesn't happen too often. One memorable time was when I was going to be reading something I wrote at this student art/creative works event thing and right before everything started my brother-in-law showed my sister and me a video of a pug. Another student made a short film to show for the event and unexpectedly it featured a pug discovering a dead body and my sister started laughing which got me laughing. We struggled to hold it back, especially since it sounded like we were laughing at the student's work, but it just happened to be because of the dog. We felt so terrible. When we left later and got outside of the building we burst into laughter. My brother-in-law thought we were both completely ridiculous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the wedding of a former co-worker, my MIL and I were asked to sit on the groom's side. He was from out of state and there weren't many people on his side of the aisle. Then, one of the surgeons from the practice we worked for showed up and I guess they asked him the same question. He sat in between my MIL and myself, which drew attention to us (dirty looks from co-workers - people can be trite and jealous over the physicians they work for).

Still, all was going well. Until we stood up and bowed our heads for prayer. I guess my MIL and the doctor didn't hear the priest end the prayer, because they remained standing, heads bowed. I could feel my shoulders start to shake. How I managed to semi-hold-it- together, I do not know. I could have possibly handled the situation better, maybe tugged their sleeves, but any move could have escalated into me screaming with laughter and running out of the chapel.