Question of the Day: Sunday, June 25

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallo everybody!

I wish I could dictate my question today because there was a little misunderstanding beween my darling little Katy (ex-feral) and myself. She is now trying to get onto my lap and purring but both my hands are still bleeding, throbbing and I'm typing, while balancing plastic bags of ice cubes on the back of each hand trying to stop the flow of blood and swelling.
I'm thinking bad thoughts! :devilcat2:

Until today I was having doubts about leaving my cats at home to be looked after by my daughter - who lives upstairs - in order to spend 3 weeks visiting relations in England. Today, I believe some time-out away from my and other people's cat problems will do me good. :)

In spite of the environmental effects of travelling and having to leave your cats behind, will you be going on holiday this summer?

I haven't been away from home since a weekend trip at the very beginning of Covid. I'll be travelling mostly by train and, although I hate to leave my cats, I am almost convinced it is not such a bad idea after all.

PS I don't think I'm capable of using a knife and fork today let alone prepare a meal. :lol: And I really don't need to diet

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow gilmargl gilmargl , sounds like Katy did a number on your hands. Heal quickly!

We are planning on a trip to Bar Harbor, ME and to Acadia sometime in October. Rick and my SIL are working together to get things in order: B & Bs and such. Probably for a week or so. Thankfully, my sister and BIL will take care of the girls for us.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope...no travel for me. We've had a tough spring so we're dealing with the after math and the costs of that stuff this year. My husband may go on a 2 night weekend get away with a couple of his close buddies. They try to go every year to a MLB series (3 game line up over one weekend). They share a room and all drive together in one vehicle so the costs aren't quite as high, so I don't mind. And while I could use a break too, I'm very much a home body so I don't need a vacation "away", just some down time to chill or get things around the house accomplished to feel better.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am way overdue for a trip somewhere but I don’t think it will be this summer. I am still doing the split day for the girls since they still can’t be in the same room together so leaving them is difficult. But since I Have been spending every spare cent on home improvements this year, I don’t really have the cash anyway. I have been thinking about completing a bucket list item, a cruise to Alaska, next summer though.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably just a long weekend to visit the in-laws. The cats are easily good for that amount of time with the automatic dry feeder, the water fountain, and extra bowls of water around. But it's probably all the human baby can handle.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't been away since even before Covid started. We brought Luna home in September of 2019. Had 2 nice vacations earlier that year but once she was there, being a kitten, we knew we would not be going away until she was a bit older. Then Covid. And in that time period we also had our good friend/cat sitter move to Italy for a few years.

We'd love to get away but there's nobody we trust to watch the cats especially since Luna is not as easy going as Cocoabean is. She requires daily allergy drops 2x a day for one thing, and she's usually hesitant with strangers and I'm not so sure how feeding let alone administering meds, will go with her because of this. I'd need someone to come in several times a day between both of their food needs (Cocoa eats smaller meals, more frequently and wet only). Our friend was ideal since she'd live at the house and watch over not only the cats but all else. No family/friends nearby either and loathe to hire a stranger.

My husband bugs me a lot about this as if we don't have the cats to worry about. I always say, fine, you plan their care and let me know how that works out for you lol. It has not yet.

We have a wedding to go to in about a year in our state, only 45 minute from home, but it would be easier if we could stay overnight at the hotel it's being held in, at the New Jersey shore. Luckily the hotel allows cats so we might make it a longer stay since it will the tail end of summer and it would be a nice little get-away and I think the cats would be fine as long as I can make sure housekeeping stays out of the room. But that's a long way away still. Oh well.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going on annual holidays has never been a thing in my life. It would be out of the question now even if I wanted to, as it would mean finding a safe nursing home for my mother and a cattery for Phoebe and Daisy. The first is risky, I do not want to do the second, and it would be far too expensive. Besides, there’s nowhere I want to go to stY, and I would be anxious about them all the time.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love to travel. The way the world has been lately - I simply don't feel safe doing it right now. It's an odd, very sad feeling .

I used to love to get a map. Put it on the wall and draw a radius of about 4 hours. Toss something at it and wherever whatever I toss at it stuck, normally a dart but once I used gum cause I couldn't find the dart, and I would just go. I met so many interesting people that way and got to explore small towns. Was great.

Sadly... the 15 - 20 minute drive into work these days is insane. If someone doesn't try to kill us all at least 3 times each way - it's a good day!

Maybe I'll feel better about it all soon , but for now, I have to say no.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've already been to see the in-laws. We try to go once a year but we hadn't seen DH's father since right when Covid was starting. He has aged quite a bit and I think it hit DH hard. So much missed time we can't get back. But at least we got time together this year. It's hard living far from all our family. We took a short family vacation this spring. I almost got to meet an old TCSer; but we didn't have time. She did help me a bit with where to find good accommodations and things.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on vacation right now. I'm in Rhode Island right now and will be heading to Maine on Thursday. This will likely be my only trip for the summer. I want to do a road trip with my dogs at some point, hopefully before the peak season for a lot of national parks, but I don't know when that could be. My dad is staying at my house right now to watch my dogs and cats, so I'm glad I have a pet sitter. I know I could leave my cats alone longer than I can my dogs, but I hate doing it because I worry so much (plus Maisie will only eat wet food, so the times I have taken short trips before dogs, I would have someone come by every other day or everyday).