Question of the Day, Sunday July 30, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends where I am and how bad it is. We seem to get a lot of severe thunderstorms here and those aren’t fun to drive in. DH and I got caught in one yesterday while running errands. The shelf cloud preceding it was impressive. Watching the lightning from the back side was beautiful. But getting very wet dashing 10’ from the store to the car at the curb wasn’t a blast. We ended up waiting it out in the parking lot for a little bit. Fortunately it didn’t last long.

Last Tuesday it took me close to 2 hours to get home after an appointment because I kept getting stuck in storms. The last one was wild and rocking my car.

But a nice, normal storm I don’t mind too much. If I can just watch the lightning; it can be nice. Especially if I’m home or just not driving somewhere.

One night DH and I were driving home through an area with no street lights or anything and wide open skies; and the lightning looked like spider webs across the sky. There was no rain. It was just cool lightning to watch.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks AbbysMom AbbysMom .

I love t-storms, as does our son. He and I used to get up in the middle of the night and sit in the living room to watch the lightning. One afternoon, he and I were in the pool. I heard thunder and told him to get out of the pool. "Oh, Mom, you worry too much. That storm is miles away." And then BOOM! I swear that kid went from the pool to the deck in one leap. We sat on the deck, listening, until the rain hit.

One night, we were back with my parents who were camping at a local camping area. The thunder kept getting closer. We were all sitting there, outside the trailer. It was a weird storm with lots of vivid lightning. Suddenly, Dad jumped up and said, "I've been hit!" Lightning hit the trailer, went down the sides, and hit Dad who was leaning against the trailer. He was fine, thank goodness. That was the night that a tornado went through the northern part of our county and hit my aunt's house. She and the dog crawled under the bed and waited until the storm went through.

I do worry about tornadoes. One time, when Rick was in Oregon, we were in the line of storms coming through with a tornado watch. Our son called me because he was worried and wanted to come home so that I wasn't alone. I told him to stay put, that I'd be fine. And til he got up here anyway, any tornado would be long gone. I put all the kids in the basement in carriers (hard to do with the six of them at the time) and then kept walking around the house outside, looking and waiting. And he stayed on the phone with me for about an hour.

I've often wished for a porch, so I could sit outside, under the roof, and watch the storms. Lightning is awe-inspiring.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could take them or leave them. Thunder does scare me when lighting hits something close. One of my cats would hide under the couch when he heard thunder. Once he was on the deck and he heard thunder. He ran for the door to get inside and he knocked down his own mother because she was in his way. Buddy was my big brave alpha kitty.

A man I used to carpool with was terrified of thunder and lighting. When a storm came along he would lay down on the floor of the car to hide from it. I don't know what ever happened to make him like that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love thunderstorms!!! They feel great to me, it's hard to explain but the air is different....the smell, feel, the energy around...it's fantastic and I love to watch the lightning and hear the thunder. I'm a bit of a human barometer...and a thunderstorm is like this big release...don't worry, I already know I'm a weirdo.:p
When we were kids, my Mom used to stick us outside on the porch (protected) with a sleeping bag and a snack to watch them, it was so much fun. I'm just not so much of a fan of the super high winds that can occur due to possible damage they can cause.

If I have the time to just sit and enjoy, you will catch me sitting in my bay window watching the storms as they pass thru. And depending on what direction the rain is falling, I even open my widows so I can smell and feel the air.

Thankfully, our current kitties aren't bothered one bit. With other cats I've had, I used to keep the house closed up to minimize the noise...but now I can enjoy them the way I like.
Chester, will actually sit in front of the open widow and watch the storm with me. He's enthralled with the hard rain hitting the ground.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I LOVE a good thunderstorm! But if they get violent and tornado warnings are issued, it sucks the fun out of them. I love being outside as the clouds roll in and I hear thunder in the distance. I find it very energizing.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I absolutely love thunderstorms!!! They feel great to me, it's hard to explain but the air is different....the smell, feel, the energy around...it's fantastic and I love to watch the lightning and hear the thunder. I'm a bit of a human barometer...and a thunderstorm is like this big release...don't worry, I already know I'm a weirdo.:p
When we were kids, my Mom used to stick us outside on the porch (protected) with a sleeping bag and a snack to watch them, it was so much fun. I'm just not so much of a fan of the super high winds that can occur due to possible damage they can cause.

If I have the time to just sit and enjoy, you will catch me sitting in my bay window watching the storms as they pass thru. And depending on what direction the rain is falling, I even open my widows so I can smell and feel the air.

Thankfully, our current kitties aren't bothered one bit. With other cats I've had, I used to keep the house closed up to minimize the noise...but now I can enjoy them the way I like.
Chester, will actually sit in front of the open widow and watch the storm with me. He's enthralled with the hard rain hitting the ground.
Yes, agreed!!! Storms were a fun and exciting thing when I was a kid and I think it transferred over into my adult life. Goofy is not a fan of storms as he ages but other than that I've never had a dog or cat that is terrified of them. Livie, the dog who lives to bark, will snore through a storm like it's not even happening 🤣