Question of the Day, Sunday, January, 3, 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Two little orange kittens showed up in my yard one day. I started feeding them and a few others and before I knew it I had a feral colony. One of the orange kittens had a few litters and I adopted 8 kittens from her last two litters.  There were six orange and two cream colored. All of the orange ones have now passed away and I have the two cream colored ones left. They are now 16 and 17 years old. 
awww...such a lovely story! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Miagi - In early 2004, we adopted him. He was a private rehome some lady "found" him in her basement when he was around 9 months. We think he belonged to her...she just didn't want him. But that's ok her loss, our gain. He's an awesome tabby boy! He is around 13 now and still a busy body!

Tiger - (RIP I just want to share his story hope that's ok!) - We were looking in the paper for a buddy for Miagi. And my mom found an ad for a 3-4 (he was around 5 not that age) male cat and a female cat. We were told that he was abandoned with another cat on the side of the road and they were only fostering them. So we went to their house and I asked to see Tiger first and the rest is history. We were best friends. He was 16 when I had to put him down and my buddy. I miss him every day!

Angel - She was unexpected. My parents saw her in a "free" ad and went to go check her out the rest is history! She was around 7 weeks when we got her and she will be 7 this Spring. She is a cool little kitty and my buddy! Her & Tiger were best friends but now her and Miagi play. :) I don't know what I'd do without her or Miagi.
all such sweet stories! 
   and all your furbabies sound like such special and well-loved cats! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will tell my side of the story of Catness & Rose . I came home from Walmart and one of the workers that works for my Dads business next door called me over. He had a small something in his hand Bob told me look what I found. It was a small kitten about 3 weeks old fuzzy and blue eyed calico tortoise shell . I asked if he was going to keep her and he said he wanted me to keep her. I've never been allowed a kitten by my husband so I put her in our feral cat building outside. About 30 minutes later I had to pick up the kids at the bus stop. So I got them afterward my husband asked me about the kitten what I did with her precisesly. I said I put her in the feral cat room in a little dog bed I had. He wanted to show the kids and when I did they begged to keep her inside. I was trying to avoid this because we weren't allowed a cat in the past when I asked cause my bosses cat had kittens I wanted. Any who this kitten must be special cause she was allowed in the house! She is very feisty and still chases my kids around the house trying to bite them. Which is why I decided she needed a friend.6 months later found out a lady I work with cats had kittens . She was willing to give me the only fuzzy one in the group! I love long haired cats. She brought the hole litter of 12 week old kittens over. The only kitten that didn't hiss at me and Catness was the fuzzy one Rose. Rose is my soul mate cat. She comes when I call her and sleeps with me at night.
awwww.........two very nice stories! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
24 years ago, when my daughter was I'mtthe army she was given a dog. Eventually I had to look after her. When the time came for her to who grew btoe her back she left a hole in my life. Both children were in the army and my husband and I had mutually divorced. So I wwas alone. I went to the cat shelter and this cheeky little black and white kitten lay on her side, put her arm out of the cage and stroked my cheek. I brought her home the next day and there started a bbeautiful friendship. About 8 months later I got a very small tabby from the street. She was two months old and softy helped bring her up. A month later I was given a beautiful cat called lotto. All fluffy and naughty. He was three months old. The girls weren't mad about him but they coexisted.
When softy was 2-1/2 she got a blockage. The vet did all that he could but she had to be PTS. A couple of years later we b got a puppy to be a big boy. He and lotto loved each other.
When gentle was about 16 her kidneys packed up. .All she wanted was be with be. She was very miserable and depressed. It was no life for her. Going to the vet every day .She wouldn't let me do the water thing. Maybe I caved too soon but I sent her to rainbow bridge .that broke my heart. l loved her so very much. I soaked her fur while I was holding her. That left lotto. He was a very sweet boy.
As he got older ihad to put boxes in certain places to help him climb to certain places. By my bed and by the coffee table. I asked my vet what to do he was so miserable and she suggested a kitten. I went to the shelter and got two kittens. Sisters. They were so sweet and funny and lotto was not impressed. After about a month they both fell ill. FIP. They were PTS. So lotto was alone and spent his time between my bedroom and my lap and in my bed at night. When he was nearly 20 he went down hill quite fast. His arthritis. He cried a lot especially going and coming from his litter tray. No matter how much pain he was in he always went there to do his business. One day on his way back he lay down and when I went b him looked b me as if to say enough mummy. The next day he was sent to rainbow bridge.
Inthen became very ill and ended up in hospital for a week. I was very weak when I came home so the family wouldn't let me get a cat right away. Bossy children. Eventually phoned my vet to say I was ready to go to the shelter. A couple of days later she asked if I'd like a siamese who'd been abandoned. Yes said eye. A few days later my daughter phoned and asked if I'd like a black and white street cat. Yes issaid. These are my whisky and blighty who love each other. That's my long windied story. I hope I didn't bore you all.

please excuse weird errors. It's my phone, unless it's a blatant misspelling. Sorry.
lovely stories as well as quite sad stories! 

i think that you knew your Gentle best. and i personally would rather make the 'final decision' a tad bit early, than to allow my furbabies to suffer at the end. i think you did just that, prevented your Gentle from suffering at the end. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have wanted a cat since I can remember ever wanting anything. I couldn't have one growing up since my mom hates cats. DH was allergic. He passed away in 2011. When DD went off to college in August 2013 I thought about getting one. We have a dog (Bailey the border colllie). She is 13. I never had any concern that she wouldn't be OK with cats as she is very sweet and gentle towards other animals. She always has been. I started looking at the Humane Society website here and there but none of them really stood out. February 2014 came up and when I checked the website, they were having a special deal on cat adoption fees so I looked and saw Lilith. I decided to go meet her. I went to the HS and they took me to the room where Lily was with her brother (a calico persian) and hiding in a corner was her sister, another black persian. The woman who let me into the room said that the male had been adopted and was waiting to be picked up. She also waved towards the little one in the corner (then called Midge) and tole me I could ignore her because she was "unfriendly".  That annoyed me- A LOT but I didn't say anything. 

She gave me a bag of treats and I started to play with and pet Lily and her brother. They were both so sweet. I noticed the little one in the corner showing some interest so I talked to her and asked if she wanted some treats. She inched a little closer so I tossed her a treat and she gradually came closer and closer until they were all playing and getting treats and pets. Midge became comfortable enough that she started eating from the bowl that was next to me on the floor and didn't care that I was petting her as she ate. 

We played for a while and then I went back to the desk. The girl asked me how it went and if I wanted to take Lilith. I heard a voice say, "I'll take both of them"  Yep. that was me. She was shocked that anyone would want Midge. She said that none of the employees or volunteers were able to bond with her and that I must be "special". I told her that it took a bit of time but she cam out of her corner to play and was very sweet. I lated found out that the girls had been there all of 2 weeks. They decided that she was "unfriendly" after 2 weeks. 

I took them home the next day and Midge became Sophie (aka Saurus) while I adore Lily, Saurus is my soul kitty. I'm glad I didn't listen to her. Never trust anyone who judges a cat. 

They were my valentine's day present to myself. 

I found Henry by again trolling the site of a local rescue (not the HS this time). It was last January and I just wanted to see what they had (famous last words of a cat person). I saw Henry's (then Chico) picture. There was something in those pale green eyes that said please come get me. He had been there for 8 years. I had to at least go meet him. No cat belongs in a shelter for his/her entire life. I went to meet him with DD right before she went back to school. He curled up on her feet and started nibbling her toes. He wasn't outgoing but he was sweet. The woman at the shelter said that he was very skittish around people for a long time and all of a sudden decided that he wanted to interact with people after all. I went to pick him up a couple of days later as a permanent foster. It took him 7 months in his safe room to gain the confidence to join us but he did and he gets along with the girls and Bailey like they have been together forever. Of course Lilith established from the get go that she is Queen and never forgets to remind her subjects of that but they are OK with it.

Henry was my birthday present to myself last year. I give great gifts  
those are truly beautiful stories! 

'Never trust anyone who judges a cat.'  i totally agree! one of those things you could say that 'truer words were never spoken'!

you sure do give great gifts! 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. It amazed me that someone who works in an animal shelter would tell a potential adopter that they can ignore an animal that is up for adoption. I think that even if she hadn't decided to come over and play that I would have taken her because A) I think it would have been tough on her to watch the last 2 of her family members leave and then have her be all alone and B) I didn't think she should be left with people who would be so openly dismissive about her. Who knows how long she would have been there. Her story could have become like Henry's and she could have sat there for years before someone decided to take her. She and I have a very special bond and I think she knows that I didn't want her left behind with someone like that handling adoptions. 

This is the "unfriendly" Sophie relaxing in the big cat tree in the living room. 

How could anyone resist Sophie's dear little face? [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwwww -- so pretty, and so happy and relaxed looking! your Sophie has such pretty eyes too! 

i would be worried, if i had seen/heard someone like that handling adoptions! i would think that they'd just quickly written off the cat, would not be giving kitty any real chance of being adopted. 

and to me, this is Karma again. you did such a wonderful and caring thing, first showing real kindness towards Sophie, and then adopting her -- and the good you did came back to you, your Sophie being your soul kitty! yes, and the special bond you two share.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! She could have been the orneriest little hellion in the room and I don't think I could have walked out without her! She is gorgeous!

My very first cat was a black Persian. Actually, he was my Mom's because I was just 7 months old when she got him, but he lived to be 19 and we grew up together.

Sophie looks very much like him (He was Keeker I. My black DSH is Keeker IV).

I think I would have said something to the manager/director of the shelter about how she was (or wasn't) represented by the staff. And I am so grateful that you didn't leave her behind and alone. Did they ever think that she wasn't friendly toward them because they weren't friendly toward her?! Cat's are smart and they avoid the 'wrong' people. Apparently, she sensed your affection for her. Good job!

I don't have any photos of Keeker I, but this is his portrait I painted in 1974 when I was in  high school. It hangs on my living room wall.

View media item 321095