Question of the Day: Sunday, April 30

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to keep you waiting! Good Evening Everybody!

I got off to a bad start this morning - felt as if the world was coming to an end. Depressing news about today's wars, the environment and increasing number of modern crimes, violent "entertainment" on TV last night, a sick cat and personal grief, my "question of the day" would have been rather miserable and, perhaps, not entirely acceptable on TCS!

So, to get out of trouble and shake off dark thoughts, I decided to work - and spent the day in the sunshine attempting to tidy up my terrace. A day's work and there are still clumps of grass growing between the concrete slabs, there are still patches of moss everywhere and I am covered in scratches, bites and blisters.

After a long shower followed by soothing gels and creams, fresh clothes, a meal I'd prepared yesterday, I am feeling much better.

If the weather had been bad, I would probably not even have bothered getting out of bed - except to serve my cats - so I have been lucky - my terrace looks a lot better than it did yesterday and I am determined to get the garden back to normal - if not for this summer - then at least in such a good shape that next year things will be easier.

How do you pick yourself up when feeling a bit rundown? Perhaps we could all do with a few good ideas ! 🙏 🤗

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I allow myself a nap. I hardly ever do that but it does help if feeling overwhelmed. Being able to drift away and not think about anything for an hour or so tends to help me. Even better if I can get the muster the energy to take a hot shower afterwards.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Physical activity like power walking, running, or zumba/aerobics type movement. I have found that it has to be fairly intense to help me move my mood to another place.

I hope that you are feeling a little bit better and that your gardening helped.:hugs:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a nice long bubble bath then jump into bed and cuddle the boy's while watching YouTube. If it's too early to go to bed then I'll put some tunes on and do some of those job's that I've been putting off followed by a milky coffee and a chocolate biscuit.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I busy myself in the kitchen.Sometimes it's something as simple as a batch of cookies or an easy throw together cake.Many is the time I'll get out a rarely used cookbook and look for something "different".The other day I went through all my cookbooks and weeded out several that were wasting the space I have...that was a very productive afternoon for me,and I felt ever so much better that I'd accomplished something!In these days and times,I try to keep my mind as occupied as I can and away from the news of the day.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A good strong cup of coffee always does the trick for me and if there's dessert in the house even better. 😉 I used to call my favorite cousin because I could tell her anything but since she passed away a few years ago that option doesn't exist anymore. Right now we don't have a dog but in the past going for a long walk with our dog helped greatly. Sometimes in winter I would bundle up and walk with him in the snow since we both loved it. Of course Carleton is always up for hugs even if he can't go for long walks. 😻

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I allow myself a nap. I hardly ever do that but it does help if feeling overwhelmed. Being able to drift away and not think about anything for an hour or so tends to help me. Even better if I can get the muster the energy to take a hot shower afterwards.
This is what I do. I don't even sleep half the time. I'm a stress-rester. If I can give myself an hour or two to just sit or lie there and let my mind go where it needs to go to work something out, I'm fine. I call it going to my cocoon!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not, by nature, a 'down' type of person; neither am I a Little Susie Sunshine. Some quiet time with a good book is all I need.
N NY cat man I would like to thank you, because several times over the past few months I've thought back to what you shared in a Q of the D in response to worry, which for me is usually the basis of feeling down. It's been very helpful.
(from NY cat man...)
We can be sent to 'Nam or not
If we don't get sent, there's nothing to worry about
If we do get sent, we can get shot, or not
If we don't get shot, there's nothing to worry about
If we do get shot, we either live, or we die
If we live, there's nothing to worry about; while if we die, what good will worrying do?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man I would like to thank you, because several times over the past few months I've thought back to what you shared in a Q of the D in response to worry, which for me is usually the basis of feeling down. It's been very helpful.
(from NY cat man...)
We can be sent to 'Nam or not
If we don't get sent, there's nothing to worry about
If we do get sent, we can get shot, or not
If we don't get shot, there's nothing to worry about
If we do get shot, we either live, or we die
If we live, there's nothing to worry about; while if we die, what good will worrying do?
Glad to be of service.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Going for a walk always works for me when I'm feeling down, stressed, or overwhelmed, and it's something I can right away. But if that's not possible, then I phone up a friend or two.

Depending on your schedule and the time of day, taking a nap is also a really good one.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad always said: “when the larger world’s problems get you down, just try focusing on making change for the better in your little patch.” So I never seem to have time to be down: too busy trying to help my neighbors, community, keep the forest clean and protected. But definitely being outdoors and reading helps. In Japan, where some of the oldest people live, they form a “moai,” where people get together, socialize, exercise, etc. and it keeps you lively, up, active and happy. So, maybe hunting for your “moai” if you’re down, might help.