Question of the Day: Sunday, April 27

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver doesn't appear to react to catnip. However, this week he's been acting similar to how I've seen cats react to catnip... only it's something else he's reacting to: my daughter's shoes. 

There are other shoes around, but it's only her shoes that he seems to REALLY like. He'll sniff them, then rub his face on them (as he does with most other things around here to mark them), but then he really gets into it. He'll grab a flip flop, for example, and rub his whole face on it then spin around and rub the top and back of his head on it. Then he'll lick the cloth strap before starting the whole process over. He'll do this over and over again. He does similar to her tennis shoes also. And this will occur on and off throughout the day.

When she's sitting on the couch with her feet on the ottoman, he likes to sniff her feet and lick her toes. There's just something about the smell of her feet that he likes, I suppose. It's weird... but also hilarious to watch.

SO... Do your cats react to catnip? Is there anything else they literally go wild for?

Last edited:

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maia and Foley go berserk. One time Foley tried to fight his own shadow. It's really funny to watch them go crazy... the also make a mess. They like to roll all over the floor and cover themselves with the catnip. :blobyello

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip and shoes!  Especially leather shoes.  I have to make sure that I put my Clarks in my bedroom immediately after taking them off so they won't tear them up.  Obviously they are banned from the bedroom.  OH!  And makeup brushes.  They go insane over them.  Those also stay in my locked bedroom.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats love catnip. They don't go crazy, but they do get excitable. I usually put catnip on or in toys so they have a release for the excitement. They also roll in it and get it all over themselves though. :p

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli only has a minor reaction to catnip. He'll lick it, but doesn't go hog wild over it like some cats. He likes his Daddy's shoes, though. Mine aren't interesting.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of the cats I have are brother and sister. They both love catnip but go berserk over green olives. They act like its super catnip, rolling all around and rubbing thier faces on the olives.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
2 of the cats I have are brother and sister. They both love catnip but go berserk over green olives. They act like its super catnip, rolling all around and rubbing thier faces on the olives.
Olives!  That's funny.

Zoe loves leather!  My friend has a leather backpack/purse and when she comes over, she will put her purse on the floor because she gets a laugh out of watching Zoe molest it!!  

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine doesn't much care for catnip. Haven't really found anything he'll go crazy over. Well, aside from my food.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Autumn does react to catnip.  She goes bonkers as lots of cats do.  She loves rolling around in it and even eats a little of it.  After knocking her self out with catnip, she then takes a long catnap

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None of my cats react to catnip, other than Frannie getting grumpier. Pooper goes crazy over menthol. She wakes me up licking the carmex off my lips and gets all weird and rolly when my husband uses a mentholated patch on his back. When he stands up, she will plant her face in the recliner where he has been leaning back. I have to take the trash with the used patch and the peel-away backing outside or she will dig it out, the little weirdo!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our kids love catnip! We do catnip parties here. Before I do a good vacuuming (like on Saturday mornings, when I try to do a better cleaning), I'll get the catnip out of the pantry closet. They know the sound and they all come running. I sprinkle a pile on the floor for each kitty. They roll, they eat, they roll, they eat, they try to steal each other's pile....they just go crazy. As they're rolling around in it, sometimes, I'll sprinkle just a wee bit on their bellies. Then, as they wash, they get a little more.

Once they're all done, I give them a good snack of dry kibble, followed by a drink of Sip. I carry them back to bed, one at a time. I put them on the bed, they curl up, and they go to sleep. (I usually put Muffin on the kitty sofa back in the bedroom because Molli doesn't want Muffin on the bed.....it's easier that way and Muffin is happy on the kitty sofa.)

And I can vacuum away without the cats worrying about the Big Purple Monster.

We usually have a catnip party once a week, mostly on Saturday mornings.

Muffin never had catnip until she came to live with us; Mom never bothered with it. The first time we had a catnip party when she was here, she came out to the living room because she saw all the cats running and she wanted to see what was going on. She walked over to me and I put a small pile on the floor. She sniffed, she sniffed, and then she sniffed some more. She put her tongue out and tasted the nip. She tasted again. Then ................whoosh! She dove into that pile! She rolled and rolled and rolled.Must have been good stuff! She's addicted now, too.