Question of the Day: Sunday, April 23

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning on St George's Day - a very English National Day, celebrating the death of St George in the year 303!

"Legend has it that St. George visited a town in Libya called Silene, where a dragon guarded the only well. When he realised the people’s access to fresh water was heavily limited, he slayed the dragon and liberated the city from it. Bushes with the reddest roses ever seen are said to have begun growing throughout Silene after the dragon was defeated — so some people give a red rose to a loved one on St. George’s Day, or wear one on their lapel." [Quote from google.com]

No red roses in the garden yet, so just a few spring flowers and a small dragon to greet you on this very April morning.

IMG_1932.jpg

When I attended infant school in London, much to my parent's disgust, teachers took this (and other very insular national days) extremely seriously. We each had to write down the stories and draw pictures in our own "News Book". I would love to have been able to take my exercise books home but the teachers found them so hilarious that they kept them. I never found out why my drawings were so funny - though I do remember drawing the disciples all sitting on the green sofa we had at home. We were poor kids, no television and no children's picture books so how were we to know how people used to live let alone what a dragon looked like.

St George seemed to lose popularity during the following 50 years and he was barely in the news - but now he seems to be back with a vengeance. Killing that unique dragon should have been a crime rather than an act of bravery!

I wish I had (or at least could still remember) the picture I drew at 6 years of age.

Forgetting the female dragons on 2 legs, how do you picture these fire breathing monsters?
Do your dragons have 4 legs and wings, 2 legs and wings, or 4 legs but no wings?
🐉 🐲

Are they friendly like Puff?

It's a shame we can't yet simply draw or paint on our computer or phone screen.:)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TV, movies and cultural legends have basically shaped my visions of what dragons look like...and just like our own diverse looks of reptiles, amphibians and dinosaurs, there isn't just "one" look. They do all tend to have 4 legs in my head...or at least 4 limbs...some of them have some dexterity with their front legs, making them more "arm like", even if they mostly use them for walking. But they do all have wings....it's just a lizard if it doesn't have wings...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1682272391788.png

Every time I hear "dragon" I picture this.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Smaug’s description of himself is pretty good, in The Hobbit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I picture a winged griffin which were often used in architecture during the late 1800's to early 1900's.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picture them much as Tolkien described them, classic European myths, four legs, usually winged, and with that slightly upturned muzzle only found in the crocodile family among real reptiles.