Question of the Day: Sunday, April 2

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning to you all on this dull, wet, cold Sunday!

I'm feeling frustrated - the rain has left the daffodils, narcissi and hyacinths with their overweight heads lying on the wet grass or in mud. I rescued some to put in vases until - horror of horrors - big black slugs came creeping out to take a look around my kitchen! :bouquet: :fear:!!

A wild bird has also just crash-dived against one of my windows causing me and my cats to jump out of our skins. I cannot find an injured bird on the ground so I hope it managed to get into the bushes to recover. 🐦

And then, looking at my wardrobe and wondering what to wear today, I once again finished up putting on some skinny jeggings and a T-shirt and feeling UGLY! I admit I am a strange shape - and even making my own clothes (altering paper patterns to fit my narrow shoulders, thick waist, and narrow hips) has so far only produced third-rate results. But, who notices a 78 year-old woman anyway - let alone what she's wearing!? 🤣

Do you have problems finding clothes to fit?

I don't want to be seen shopping in the children's departments so I buy cheap separates at Aldi or shop on-line.
(PS Shoes are another major issue! 🙈 )

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and no. I’m overweight and since clothing sizes seem to be guestimates here take a couple of different sizes to try on. No problem with tops (I like my tops roomy) but it’s a bit of a nuisance with jeans, because the makers seem to think any woman in plus sizes must also be tall and have no waist. Now I don’t have much waist but I almost always end up needing to wear a belt, or my jeans start sliding down.

Shoes aren’t such a problem except that I wear custom orthotics, so the insoles need to be removable and the toe box big. No sandals or high heels or pointy-toed shoes for me!

As for knitwear, I make my own. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have too much trouble with clothes at least once we got past the 80's and shoulder pads. I am tall with broad shoulders for a woman, the last thing I needed was shoulder pads. Shoes are a different story. i have big feet and issues with my ankles turning in which causes what is called flat feet. As I have gotten older the pressure points on the bottom of my feet causes painful calluses. I used to go to a podiatrist a couple of times a year and he would shave them down with a scalpel but I haven't been in quite a while. I can wear sandals. I used to be able to wear heels, not sky-high stilettos but heels. I can't wear heels anymore.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes. I have long arms, so a medium shirt will have sleeves that are too short, while a large fits me like a tent. Too, I need a size 16 1/2 neck in a dress shirt, and, again, a medium just doesn't cut it. The same goes for jeans; the stores don't carry the size that I need, so my choices are buy oversize and cinch up my belt to keep them from falling down, or have them altered to fit properly. I guess that I'm just built funny.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have trouble, but my sister does. She is short and round. I mean like under 5' short. Everything has to be altered to fit her. As for myself, at 72 I don't really give a fig what I look like. I mean, I'm presentable, but it's jogging pants/yoga pants and t-shirt all year long. For me it's all about comfort. I used to at least change into jeans and put some makeup on before I went out, but not anymore. There are some advantages to getting old (even if I don't really feel old).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I'm taller than average but most of my height is in my limbs, so it was always tough to find pants that were long enough. My arms are also long, so long sleeve shirts are a struggle too...they always come up short and sit above my wrist. In school, the rule where your shorts had to sit at a certain level didn't work for me with all the extra leg showing. My friend could wear the exact same pair and was fine but they were "inappropriate" on me....so dumb.
I'm very sensitive to touch so many different fabrics are just plain uncomfortable. I often fall in love with something but the moment I feel it I'm just...yuk! The worst is socks...I can't stand the seam on the toes and would have to wear them inside out...and even that wasn't always successful. Thankfully I found a brand of socks that don't have the seams so I now only wear those.
I'm a slim person...long and lanky...but with my physical career, I have developed quite a bit of muscle in my shoulders. So I now find that buying shirts is even tougher because I need to find something with "loose armpits" otherwise it chafes the pits...not fun.
And of course...recently I have put on a bit of weight, most around the midsection and I absolutely loath my spare tire so refuse to wear anything even remotely form fitting. At the moment I can't wear 3/4's of my current wardrobe, but I refuse to buy more, I'm going to fit into them again...I just have to get back on track with my exercise.

Mom has suggested getting kids' clothes
Yeah but with kids dressing like little adults now a days...it won't be so bad. And I don't know about where you live, but around here, kids clothes are cheaper than adult. We also don't pay taxes on kids clothes...I'm in Canada though. Do you guys have a sales tax when buying goods?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you guys have a sales tax when buying goods?
Sales tax in the U.S. is assessed by states and some locales. Most people do pay sales tax of varying amounts depending on where we live. There is no difference in sales tax between kids and adult clothes. Ohio sometimes has a few days that are sales tax holidays usually for back-to-school supplies and sometimes during the holidays. Ohio doesn't tax food or medicine. It's funny if you get to go food from a restaurant it isn't taxed but if you eat in the restaurant it is taxed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm petite so I often buy junior sizes, not children's but not women's either. Frequently I need jeans or pants shortened unless I get a crop size. I'm used to it so it doesn't really bother me. Shoes are another story because I ruined my feet from all the years of running so I buy what is the most comfortable not necessarily the most stylish and live in running shoes for support or sandals.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pants are hard because I generally tend toward pear shaped with large legs. So things that fit my legs and hips are often way too big in the waist. I have a hard time with knee high boots as well due to very thick calves.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes its hard to find the right inseam at times on jeans. or a solid color without the funky washed out faded look and the worst is that worn out with holes and tears at the knees.(not a kid no more kneeling on the ground playing in the dirt wearing holes in the knees :lol:) . inseam is an easy fix even before my stroke there is a hemming tape you can buy that just needs an iron to hem your pants etc with or the good old dry cleaners

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hard time with knee high boots as well due to very thick calves.
That’s the trouble I’ve had for years with long boots, even before I wore orthotics. Plus my right leg is thicker as well as longer than my left, so everything has to fit it. Fortunately boots that are meant to be sort of scrunched down are around atm, so at least I can fit into them even if it means they’re never actually knee height.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to,and I am plus sized as well.But,over the years I've found certain brand names that fit true and are comfy for me and that's what I stick with.Mostly I order inline,and I'm more of a t-shirt kinda gal, that's what I prefer.Shoes were an issue til I discovered the Saucony brand of running shoes.I have a very wide foot and I need the support because of my knees,so what works for me quite well are mens.Heels or dress shoes...never and nope.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hear you! I hate that look. I don’t mind fake patches - my favourite pair had those - but the tears, ugh. Torn jeans get thrown out in my life.
haha when my gf was working at a clothing store her boss gifted me a pair of jeans that came with a peice of sand paper! :lol: that was a head scratcher for sure until they explained to me its so i could sand out my own worn out patches " a unique original look" of my own.:flail:fashion trends make no sense to me

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha when my gf was working at a clothing store her boss gifted me a pair of jeans that came with a peice of sand paper! :lol: that was a head scratcher for sure until they explained to me its so i could sand out my own worn out patches " a unique original look" of my own.:flail:fashion trends make no sense to me
Good grief! Never heard of that before! Imagine wrecking your clothes deliberately … shakes head