Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY SUNDAY!

I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT WHEN
I HEARD AN OLD SONG ON RADIO.

DID YOU LIKE HIGH SCHOOL, OR BOARDING SCHOOL,
OR IN OTHER COUNTRIES IS IT CALLED SECONDARY
SCHOOL? GRADES 9-12

I loved it, had a blast. I had a large circle of friends and we were always getting into mischief but nothing bad.

So did you like it or not?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Grammar School from the age of 11 to 18 and loved it. I loved sport and that school had many to choose from. I also made some really good friends and still see some of them, meeting up for coffee from time to time. They we're good days with lots of happy memories.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a fan. My school had a lot of stuck up people. I also have a hard time with authority, (the ones who DEMAND respect yet don't show any in return and definitely don't earn it) and I went to a Catholic high school with a lot of teachers with pickles up their bums. And FYI, I was a good kid, I never caused a fuss at all.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I never liked middle school, high school, or college. Yeah, there were some good memories and fun times but... It was mostly bleh.

I cannot stand the immature behaviour, gossip, silent treatment, bullying, etc. I've always been beyond that. From an early age, it would baffle me why children couldn't just be kind to each other.

So, yeah... No.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated every moment of it. I was teased mercilessly because I moved from another school district, had a funny (to them, anyway) name, wore glasses, often repaired with tape, wore hand-me-down clothes, and steel-toed work shoes that my father got for cheap through his union. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I liked the process of learning, but hated being bullied constantly. It was constant, literally. It was so bad that the school recommended that I drop out in 10th grade. I did not. I thought that I had a right to my education. I was a very good kid, who tried to excel in things, and never bullied anyone. The school should be ashamed--they did NOTHING to discipline those bullies, yet wanted to punish ME by suggesting that I leave. Cowards.

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't like it all. I liked getting my education, but I didn't like everything that came along with it. Kids can be mean. They harassed and bullied me the whole time I was there for anything and everything. I even considered home schooling, but I didn't want to let the bullies win. I was so glad when it was all over.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very hard time my freshman year and hated that. Things slowly got better, and I actually loved my senior year, especially because I'd finished my math and science requirements and was able to take creative writing and jewelry making instead (my school had lots of awesome electives).

So 50/50 I'd say.

LadyButterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hated the first two years, but the last two were better. At first I was bullied because I was the new kid. My father is in the military and we moved a lot, so we uprooted and moved to a different state (again). I was the quiet type my freshman and sophomore years and the kids didn't know what I was about so I was teased and bullied quite a bit. I came out of my shell my junior year and things improved, but I was still in a hurry to graduate and move on to college.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My high school was rough. We had gangs, riots and stabbings every week. You know those schools in the hood that are in the movies? It was like that. I personally carried a switch the first two years and a stiletto the last two. They closed it the year I graduated because parents wouldn't let their kids go to the school and registration fell to almost zero.
It was not a low class school either, but once they started to ship kids into the school from another school (bringing the gang members with them), their gangs and ours clashed. Even a couple of teachers got stabbed.
The education was good, but it was 4 years of Hell.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny, because when I attended school, almost every guy carried a knlfe- usually one of those Boy Scout types. Not even once in my years there was there a stabbing or even someone pulling a knife on someone else. Different times, I guess.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny, because when I attended school, almost every guy carried a knlfe- usually one of those Boy Scout types. Not even once in my years there was there a stabbing or even someone pulling a knife on someone else. Different times, I guess.
Knives are one thing, but when you get rival gangs in close quarters, it can get out of control real quick. And if you weren't in one of the gangs, you were an enemy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hated school. Hated the forced learning of bs that had nothing to do with jobs or real training for work. Felt like a huge busywork session. On top of the bullying. I often got into fist fights with the girls. The boys were scared of me. I couldn't wait to be done. My parents were disgusted with the school's lack of action concerning harrassment. Yes it was a thing even back in the 80s. I wish I carried a knife but probably better that I didn't. Thats when I learned self defense...pretty bad I had to figure out how to avoid bullies at lunch time. I was determined to finish school so I could get into the trades. Seemed only the popular people had a good time. If one wasn't part of the partying group then life was not as easy.

I'm glad it's done and I have no desire to meet any of my classmates

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that our security guard was the local drug dealer and the principal was arrested for molesting young boys.
This wasn't a great school, but the education was decent.
We had a joke that you graduated not based on your grades, but if you could survive the 4 years.