Question of The Day. Sunday 15th of August.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning!

What is your earliest childhood memory?

I can remember a camping trip my family went on when I was about three. I can remember our caravan clearly. We went on lots of camping trips and we used it as a playhouse in our back garden when we weren't camping.

On this particular trip we were parked in a forest. I remember tall green trees, being slathered in sun block and running around in my bathing suit eating ice lollies with my brother and sister.

What do you remember?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember getting out of my crib and getting in my twin's crib to play. Mother and friend were surprised to find me there and made a fuss, which is probably why I remember it. I suppose I must have been proud of myself, because I showed them how I climbed over the side of my crib and then pulled down the corner of my twin's crib to climb in. The crib was fixed and the furniture was moved, putting an end to my fun. :p

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember this IMAX movie from the Museum of Science and industry where someone was rock climbing and they slipped and were just dangling there by a rope and it cut to a ballet dancer. I think when I told my mom about that it was not long before my brother was born. From when he was born, I remember the stepstool thing the hospital had to look in the nursery. It was like a little set of stairs with railings on both sides and I vaguely remember my grandparents trying to point out which baby my brother was but I cared more about the cool mini stairs.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not have much of a happy childhood so many memories have been probably repressed.

However, I remember my earliest memories with my first dog (the only memories I treasure most). I used to ride on his back (he was a huge gray labrador) and I would imagine him and me going to far away places where only both of us existed. I smile when I remember those moments. I loved that dog. I still miss him terribly to this day.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in my high chair while my Aunt Joan was feeding me tomato soup and she said, "Dottie,
she just asked for more cracker and strawberry jam!!" Dottie, Dorothy, was my mom. I was under
2 as my mom recalled it. One, also in the same house, I was in my crib and asked my mother if
she would put my new shoes on the dresser so I could see them before I went to sleep. They were
my first pair of white leather shoes, "big" girl shoes.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I was about 4 my brother pushing me round the paths in our back garden, I was sat in my dolls pram. He was going so fast that when he stopped I carried on and bust my nose. I was crying and my brother was trying to calm me down before our parents found out. While 2 of my other brothers where shouting for mum and dad. Unfortunately for my brother dad came out. I think I remember it because it was the first time I saw my dad angry and shout at any of us. My brother was making that up to me for months and I was the typical baby sister who played on it.

TMcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember our camping trips when we lived in town we would go camping literally every weekend! But then we moved and we all got older and we couldn't all fit in the camping cause I'm from a really big family so we just stopped camping! But there was so much memories there I'll never forget! Those were the best years of my life even though I was really little I'll never forget them! And at night we never wanted to go to sleep cause who wanted to go to sleep when there camping?! definitely not us! So my mom would always put on the same song ever night I don't know if you guys have heard it or not but it's by Josh Groban and he sings you are loved. And when ever I hear that song on the radio or in a store I'm always about to cry cause that song has SO much memories of my childhood I love that song!

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My earliest memories start at about four.

I remember playing out in the back yard and found a tiny, sick black and white kitten. I remember mom taking him to the vet and we kept him. I named him Blacknight and he was a good friend for many, many years.
I also remember getting my first cat. My Mom’s friend had a litter of kittens and she allowed me to choose one. I picked an orange male kitten and named him Sassy 😂. I remember being so happy and I loved him so much. He was a really calm cat and loved cuddles.
And I remember my parents adopting an adult black lab, Brutus. He was my first dog and he would follow me on all of my backyard adventures and would sleep beside my bed every night. He was an amazing dog.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a memory that goes back to before I was walking. At the time, we were living in a rented place that had this floor that was essentially tile remnants in rings (old vinyl square tiles) where the middle of the room was four tiles, and then rings in other colors, none of it really went together. So the memory is of that floor changing as I crawled across the room.

I remember telling my mom about that, and she said that she wasn't surprised ... that floor was so truly awful as to be memorable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My childhood wasn't horrible but all my earliest and most vivid memories are bad ones. Either it's natural for humans to remember bad things better or that's just how my brain works. I wish I had nicer early memories.

The other memories I have are just flashes and I don't know when they happened. Just random stuff like the lemon tree in the yard or sitting in a Pampers box.

One vivid memory I do have that isn't terrible, and I'm not sure how old I was but I don't remember my brother being involved so either he was a baby or wasn't born yet. He's 2y4m younger so I was maybe around 3-ish: we used to go to Sizzler frequently, usually with my uncle who lived nearby. One time I found a Sea World baby seal plush toy in the parking lot and wanted to keep it. My mom was trying to tell me I couldn't, because, ew, who knows where it's been, etc. and I was getting more and more upset. Then my uncle grabs it, takes his lighter out and burns its whiskers, then hands it to me and proclaims "there ya go, all disinfected!" and I was so happy. And my mom was really mad at him but there would have been a total meltdown if she forcibly wrenched it from my hands at that point, so she let me keep it, but washed it like 17 times once we got home, lol. The seal is still rattling around my mom's house somewhere, with burned/melted whiskers.

I thought maybe I only remembered it because she told me the story when I was older, but she claims she doesn't remember that, even when I show her the seal's burned whiskers. She doesn't remember any of my early childhood, or so she says.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just typed a bunch of fun stuff and remembered something earlier. :rolleyes2:

I remember going to my Grandma's house with my little green suitcase and Mom and I going to bed on the pull out couch in the "tv room" (spare bedroom). I was 2 and my mom had just left my dad. The memory I typed first was what all I remember from going to Disney right after they divorced; so just before I turned 3. I remember quite a few things about that trip; but strangely, not Cinderella's castle or seeing Mickey. :lol: I also remember going to look at the apartment Mom and I eventually moved into and how my white paten leather shoes clicked on the floor. :lol: