Question Of The Day, Sunday 12/30/18

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

lately i've been thinking of this year, and what it brought. so for today's Question of the Day......

What were some of the 'highlights' of 2018 for you?

i'll start!

my cats recovering from a pretty nasty upper respiratory infection that passed from one to the next. :yess:

some careful budgeting and planning, that has allowed me to cut costs.

home improvements! i was able to (finally) replace a 20+ year old (spare) fridge with a new upright freezer. that old fridge truly was 'on it's last legs'. i had a ceiling light fixture put in the living room -- there had been no light fixture of any kind there. i replaced the flat top kitchen range with a new stainless gas range -- 5 burners, a continuous burner grate, and two burners with very high btu's (a 'power' burner, and a 'quick boil' burner). and i had the range vent flap...fixed. the flap made noises from the wind, and had let gusts of cold air in during the winter months. it took a new exterior assembly, of a particular design, to almost completely stop the noises (only very rare 'tinks' made, and only when there's vey high gusty winds) and no gusts of cold air come in now. :yess: we actually left the old flap in place, and a second flap came with the new exterior assembly.

two friends each had major surgery, and came through them fine! :clap: both are in the process of healing now.

and Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my cats! :cloud9: i look forward to this every year -- spending a quiet couple of days together, and watching them enjoy their gifts. :heartshape:

okay, now it's your turn!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting school-I was so anxious prior to the first day, convinced I was going to screw up pretty quickly. Not only did I NOT screw up, I have a 4.0.

New job-my old job was contributing to my depression. It reached a point where I was having anxiety attacks. With the help of people at school, I now have a better job, that pays slightly higher, and I actually look forward to work now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I left a toxic work environment / job for a job in a better work environment with better people :agree:The commute stinks and my salary is a bit less but I'll take both over working for a toxic workplace.

I also finally stopped being in contact with a former co-worker at that toxic job because she herself was toxic and never once offered any support or words of encouragement / advice during my frustrating job search and all the issues with the toxic job. I don't need toxicity in any form in my life.

New job-my old job was contributing to my depression. It reached a point where I was having anxiety attacks. With the help of people at school, I now have a better job, that pays slightly higher, and I actually look forward to work now.
:grouphug: I was in similar shoes not long ago so I totally get how a horrible job can affect one's health.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Looking back it seems like 2018 flew by with both good and some not so good highlights. However, the one that stands out the most and will carry over into 2019 is reconnecting with two old friends. Friendships mean a lot to me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • Getting the bathroom finished. We are both pleased with how it came together.
  • Ms. Pepe is still here. Don't laugh; a couple times we didn't know if she'd be OK or not. She's 22 and our Old Cranky Woman, but that's OK. We deal. (She's the feline version of Ruth Ginsberg.....and I mean that in the absolute best way possible!)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No real highlights, 2018 was a pretty bad year and this mornings pump problem is the icing on the cake.
However, I have shelter, food and clothing so I'm not complaining. I can deal with other problems.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see- the biggie would probably getting our kitchen remodel whipped into shape-Finally. Also, after my wife got me this tablet for our anniversary, I had to learn how to use it. Understand, my experience with social media was precisely zero, so one day I typed 'cats' and hit search, and at the top of the list was The Cat Site, so I clicked on it. Best decision I made since I asked Michele to marry me lo, these many years ago..

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only really good things that happened this year were getting to give a baby cow a bottle and getting an A in Mammology, which isn't common with that professor. Everything else pretty much sucked.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

-getting engaged! :hearthrob:
-going to South Africa!

Those were the big ones. I also moved in with my fiancé when he was still my bf, went tp the UP in Michigan, saw the Book of Mormon and got to celebrate Lelia's first Birthday and Gotcha Day. Overall, it was a pretty good year.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The highlight for me has been The Cat Site. I retired four years ago in December after 30 years in an intense career, and although I’ve found a couple of great volunteer gigs, TCS has been the emotional home I had been missing. I’ve never met any of you, but you all feel like friends.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It hasn't been a good year for me. I had my second spinal fusion on December 29, 2017, and I've spent the year recovering and worrying that I may never walk again without support. I joined a gym to strengthen my legs about a month ago and am finally seeing a little progress.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By and large, I have a happy life because my husband and my children are wonderful. I have C-PTSD and some significant health issues, but my life has a great deal of joy.

One high point would be that we got the trim on our house painted, fixed and painted the back deck, and redid and painted the front porch. We even discovered a cute little brick patio behind the house. Four years ago, we bought a nearly 100-year-old house that needed a great deal of TLC. The outside work was the last major bit we needed to do, at least until I decide to give the kitchen an overhaul. That is years away, if we do it at all. We have done 99% of it all on our own. We are currently nine months away from paying off our house completely!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Found TCS,
my big kitty stayed healthy after a food/eating scare,
a long-lost person called --finally!
although we lost one apple tree the other one survived,
I'm discovering crochet,
A relations' surgery last week went well

DreamerRose DreamerRose prayers to you
sabrinah sabrinah thanks for a fun memory of feeding bottle-baby calves :cloud9:

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It hasn't been a good year for me. I had my second spinal fusion on December 29, 2017, and I've spent the year recovering and worrying that I may never walk again without support. I joined a gym to strengthen my legs about a month ago and am finally seeing a little progress.
Yeah, back problems really suck. I had 2 blown out discs in my lower back but, fortunately, I had a good surgeon and was able to go back to work for another 32 years before retiring. Best wishes for your recovery, and keep the faith.