Question Of The Day, Sunday, 12/23/18

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Elphaba09 I love your pictures!
@betsygee Your stockings are adorable!

Rick and I will open one small gift tonight. The rest will wait until Christmas morning. He used to take his mom to church on Christmas Eve, but she can no longer attend church and he attended yesterday, so he won't be going tonight.

I've not seen the ball drop in 47 years. Why? Because Rick and I always kiss the New Year in. That's the most traditional tradition we have. We've done it every year we've been married. I hope we never stop that.

On New Year's Eve, I carry an old purse outside (with one $1.00 bill and some change) and hang it on our front door knob. Right after midnight (after kissing Dear Richard), I go outside and bring it in the house; that way, one of the first things I do is bring money into our house. My grandmother did that and I've done it forever, too.

New Year's Eve is our night for movie-watching. I can't tell you how many years now, we've gone to bed to watch movies. I always make a round loaf of yeast batter bread in the early afternoon. After it's cooled, we slice it horizontally. When we're ready for movie-watching, we'll slather mayo and mustard on both sides, fill it with lettuce, meats, cheeses, tomatoes, etc. wrap it in foil, and throw it in the oven to warm it up, and melt the cheeses. We have our shrimp, sometimes a bit of potato salad, some crackers and dip, and, of course, a wee bit of chocolate. We take it all to bed, and devour while watching our movies. And yes, we really do eat it in bed. With the cats. And The Beast. Tis what tis. We're pretty boring people. And that's OK with us.

Pork and sauerkraut is what we eat on New Year's Day. It's for good luck. Usually over mashed potatoes.

And then we go on diets on January 2nd!!
you have really lovely traditions!!! :thumbsup:

i like to watch videos or look at photos of New Years celebrations around the world, sometimes as they happen -- which can be before it turns into the New Year where i live.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My partner and I had our first tree sitting in a corner so all the ornaments were on one side. This caused the tree to be in danger of tipping forward. I grabbed what was handy to weight down the back foot of the tree stand - a bag of dried peas.
So for the last 25 years we have put a bag of peas under the Christmas tree and then I make pea soup for New Years!:lol:
your tradition is to put a bag of dried peas under the Christmas tree, and then to make pea soup for New Years!!! :clap: that's really a wonderful tradition!! :agree:

and reminds me that i've been meaning to make some split pea soup! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear about all your traditions and to see all your photos!
We don't have any specific traditions here, though Christmas Day is normally spent at the local pub with my family, including my cousin's in-laws. Before they got together we spent Christmas at my aunt's house with my cousins, grandfather and great-aunt (who were still alive at the time), however since the family have expanded we can't have Christmas dinner at home anymore since there's around 25 of us now at Christmas Day. I preferred the smaller Christmasses at home, but bigger Christmasses are fun nevertheless!
you normally spend Christmas Day at the local pub with your family!!! :thumbsup: that's great!! :)

that's a large group of family you have! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While they were still alive, Michele and I, and the rest of the family would gather at her parent's house on Christmas eve to open presents.View attachment 267882That's Michele sitting in front of the tree, and our niece Jamie trying out her new broom. Picture taken in 1981.
a lovely family Christmas at Michele's parent's house, was your tradition!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

that's a great photo! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine son and his girlfriend come over and we eat and open gifts. As the years have passed the meal gets less elaborate - this year as we have the last couple, its pizza. It is laid back and quiet Christmas Eve. Christmas day we visit with family, a group of about 23, so lots of noise and food.

When my grandparents, Sicilian immigrants were alive, Christmas Eve was always a meal of homemade ravioli. Then we stayed up and went to midnight mass and came home to a bedtime snack of fried potatoes and sausage.
your traditions are to spend Christmas Eve with your son and his girlfriend, eating and opening gifts, and on Christmas Day you visit with family!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

that sounds wonderful, your Christmas Eve tradition when your grandparents were alive! :redheartpump: