Question of the Day Sun Nov 15th

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning All!!

Today's question is this:

Do you believe in, or use any type of holistic or alternative treatments?

I am a firm believer in both holistic medicine and alternative treatment programs. I have always look at the best form of treatment as one that treats the whole person not just the bits and pieces. I have done tons of research on things like aromatherapy, acupuncture and acupressure, nutritional based treatments and traditional first Nations treatments.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few people here that know my belief in the "Love and Cheese Danish" treatment. Kept my dog that was given 30 days to live going for 18 months. It's keeping Stumpy going right now.

I tried acupuncture on Muddy and it didn't appear to have made a difference at all, however a friend of mine swears by it. I used Tellington Touch on my cat that was going through a series of strokes and it helped her a lot.

I will definitely give non-medical based treatments a try.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to think that If ever I was diagnosed with something, I would look for some natural treatments first. I have heard some amazing stories about natural remedies.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in any of that, but my grandmother has had asthma and grandfather COPD and both of my grandparents have been obsessed with holistic treatments all of their lives. They have books on probably everything..and have tried it all from acupuncture to collecting herbs from nearby mountains and making teas from them...It is strange because they don't know much when it comes to germs and how they spread, what causes their illnesses and they don't read any of that sort of medical information- but when it comes to random sham books they will read tons and get as familiar with them as possible. They are also mushroom enthusiasts and go out and collect mushrooms from the wilderness...and have been poisoned many times
I think all holistic treatments are a sham, mostly because being raised by my grandparents I was sick and tired of being thrown disgusting teas and getting my back rubbed with sulfur and putting vaccuumed glass cups all over my back to suck out the illness every time I get a cold... but I'm sure if I ever got sick and didn't get the kind of help I needed from doctors and became desperate to be well again- I'd probably have a more open mind to it.
One thing I do believe in is nutritional treatments like eating raw fruits vegetables and nuts as a primary nutritoinal source and fasting/cleansing/detoxing your body.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe that there are alternative treatments that work. But mainly, the field is dominated by, at best, well-meaning quacks and at worst pure fakes and rip-offs.

Keep in mind I worked for a healt-food distribution company for a while, and I saw the range of people in the business.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Pretty much sums up my views.

Some stuff works - there's no dismissing that many herbs do. Modern medicines are derived from a lot of them and from other things people have been using for thousand of years.

But the rest of it.. just people out to make a buck. And those who aren't, and actually do believe in what they're selling are even more dangerous.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can personally vouch for acupuncture. It helped my back after my accident in 2006.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i take alpha lipoic acid and i drink drinks by gt synergy. the drinks provide me with the soda fizz sensation without the sugar, color,etc. of coke/pepsi/sprite, etc.

some people might categorize alpha lipoic acid and kombucha drinks as holistic. i guess they are?

i like ear acupuncture (auricular acupuncture) ...so yeah, i do like some holisticky things --but i don't have any crystals in my house or anything far-out

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Morning All!!

Today's question is this:

Do you believe in, or use any type of holistic or alternative treatments?

I am a firm believer in both holistic medicine and alternative treatment programs. I have always look at the best form of treatment as one that treats the whole person not just the bits and pieces. I have done tons of research on things like aromatherapy, acupuncture and acupressure, nutritional based treatments and traditional first Nations treatments.
You've summed me up.

I also use aromatherepy, massage therapy, acupuncture, and dietary supplement (herbs, spices, etc).

Since becoming chronically ill, I've been trying to help what I can naturally so I don't have to take as many medications. Thankfully my massage therapist is wonderful....she deals with aromatherapy and is taking an acupressure course.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do believe that a lot of the hollistic de-stressing techniques work and that you can battle anxiety-type problems using hollistic methods.

I did see an alternative medicine doctor while I lived in washington, but never had any major medical issues come up so I cannot say whether I've had success with alternative medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that people reading this thread may find interesting. Several years ago we had a new hospital built here in Parry Sound. Something that was added to the construction that was a little controversial at the time was a First Nations Healing Center. The area in which I live is sort of the crux of several First Nations people so it was a combined project set up by 4 First Nations chiefs who represented their various localities. It had been something that had been in the works for several years and when the new health center received it's funding the idea was included in it's plans.

Located on the lower level of the health centre, the multi-use room allows First Nations to practice traditional healing, such as smudging; serves as a place to hold cultural awareness sessions with health professionals; and is available for public use for such things as native craft sessions and health-related seminars.
Much of the First Nation Philosophy is combining the treatment of mind/body/spirit as a whole not as the sum of it's parts. The room is round, has both an east and west entrance, soundproof walls and ventilation and fire systems separated from the rest of the hospital to allow for traditional smudging and drumming.

The room is open to all people whether First Nation or not and has had a great success in the community. I have attended a couple of learning annexes there and found them very informative and the whole approach quite interesting.