Question of the Day, Saturday, the 25th of December 25, 2022

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not exactly a gag gift .. but a bit of a prank. My middle son used to say that he could always tell what his Christmas gifts were.

This particular year, I'd gotten a substantial raise, and was able to buy the children gifts substantially more expensive than other ones, and I had also purchased a ring for myself. So I wrapped up a note in the box my ring had come in, and put it under the tree for Mr. "I know what's in the box". The note gave him directions as to where to go to find his actual gift (an iPod). Leading up to Christmas day, he looked at that wrapped gift under the tree, and was completely baffled. I told him that it was a nose ring.

The next year, I got him a particular Lego set--and that was my crowning achievement. I hid the wrapped gift *in his bedroom* in a place that I was fairly certain he would not look. Under the tree was a wrapped box that contained one of the really small lego sets (like it wasn't even in a box, just a plastic bag with less than 50 pieces to make some sort of droid) that was from the same Star Wars category as the thing he really wanted. That box also contained a note directing him to the place where the prior year present had been hidden. That present was another lego set (Luke's sand speeder) with another note "This is not the present you are looking for ... your actual present is [directions as to where to find it]"

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On my dad's side of the family, we are heavily into gag gifts. One year, I was at an auction with my dad and my uncle. I was sitting down outside of the building when I heard the auctioneer auctioning off broken sandwich makers. Like probably some of the very originals, long before George Foreman grills. I was shocked to hear someone bidding on them. I was wondering, "Who in the world would buy something like that?" It was my uncle! There were about five, and his plan was to take them apart and make one. I laughed and laughed.

Then came Christmas. I got this really huge box that I could barely pick up. When I finally unwrapped it, there was a picture of a beautiful dinnerware set on the outside. I opened the box, with such anticipation, and it was those sandwich makers! :eek2: Those awful sandwich makers. Turns out, they could not be fixed and assembled into some Frankenstein Monster. (He decided not to give me the one with the green sandwich still inside.)

From that point on, we exchanged gag gifts every year. Another uncle complained about my dad taking peanut butter from a jar with a spoon while they were playing poker. He said, "You use a knife, not a spoon!" That year, this uncle received an empty peanut butter jar with a spoon in it.

We won't even talk about theTexas Turd Bird...yeah, I threw him away. :rolleyes2: