Question of the Day, Saturday, March 9

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got my permit at 15 1/2, and got my license shortly after turning 16. I failed my drivers test a few times, but I'm pushing 41 and (knock on wood 🙏 ) have never been in, nor caused, an accident.
Both of my parents took me out to learn to drive, separately, and taught me different things. I learned to drive on a standard transmission (a "stick") and still drive one today.
My drivers ed. teacher was a very kind teacher, but was no joke during this course and accepted no nonsense from kids behind the wheel of what he called a Potential Killing Machine. He was incredibly thorough in teaching us how to be defensive but not reactive on the road.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"I’m the kind of person who is musically coordinated; but physically… well I kicked a couple people trying to learn to country line dance back then too sooo… :paperbag: "

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles LOL!! 🤣 I did some line dancing myself in a group, and there were a lot of muffled "sorry"s as we tried to get coordinated!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the drivers ed teachers were also football coaches. They kept their cool well; but weren’t too sympathetic with us struggling kids. I didn’t exactly do well in gym either with that coordination. Never in the history of my being has telling me to “get in there” produced the desired results. :crazy:The main teacher who did the class portion was the only teacher to come to our 10 year class reunion though. He probably had every one of us that used the school district drivers ed.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 16.
My cousin taught me to drive when I was 12 while working summers on my Grandmother's cattle ranch. It was a '52 Chevy truck. Manual transmission (column shift), manual steering, manual brakes, starter on floor, battery on passenger side floorboard. Old truck. Trust me, if you can drive that, you can drive almost anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my restricted license when I was 14 and my unrestricted license when I was 16.
Yeah that's what it is here too.

I was 19, I think I got my permit and license just a couple months apart. I put it off as long as I could; I didn't really want to drive, plus my parents said I'd have to pay for the insurance increase, but it's just a necessity here.

I honestly don't remember who taught me to drive, I'm sure it was mostly my mom but I have no memories of anyone gasping that I was about to go into a ditch or anything. Weird.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 16. Took Drivers Ed and Behind The Wheel through the high school.