Question of the Day, Saturday, March 2

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Sorry for the lateness. We visited with Rick's mom this morning for a while and then lounged around the afternoon. So while I'm making dinner and the popovers are in the oven, I thought, "Holy crap! I forgot the QofD!" :paperbag:

When you're introduced to somebody and you tell them your name and they immediately shorten it, does that bother you? If your name is Susan and that person immediately starts calling you Sue or Susie, would you tell them that you'd rather be called Susan? Or do you let it go? My apologies @susanm9006 for using your name. I really couldn't think of another example.

It usually doesn't bother me. My name is Pamela and everybody always calls me Pam. There used to be a surveyor in town who, at Planning Commission meetings, would call me Pammy. His son was horrified the first time he did it and apologized to me. I told his son that it didn't bother me in the slightest; many of the guys at the paper plant called me Pammy, too. I was used to it.

What about you?
Yes. I think it's rude.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is already quite short (Cora) so no one ever shortens it.

I personally always ask someone how they want to be called 👍 Whether by full name, shortened name or nickname. Just never know, everyone is so different and unique in their preferences, and I always try to respect that. I guess it is because I know what it is like to be misnamed since my name has been "rare" for so long :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer my full name - Rosemary. A few people have tried "Rose," which I don't like, but I had a dentist for a while who called me "Ro." I absolutely hate that. Don't ever try it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name doesn't lend itself to shortening, but if someone did, I wouldn't know who they were talking to. That's not my name!

My brother has a name that is often shortened but he goes by his full name. If someone is just joking around or being silly he'll allow a shortened version but he'll correct people who use a shortened version in earnest.

It's rude to call anyone anything they didn't say to call them.