Question of the Day, Saturday, February 10

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Do you wear glasses? Contacts? How long have you worn glasses? Do you need to wear them all the time or only when reading or doing certain things, like driving? If you don't have contacts, would you switch over to contacts?

I've had glasses since I was around 3 years old. I've loved them and I've hated them. I finally figure that, well, I have to wear them, at least to drive, so I just do. Not overly fond of my glasses, but I really love my sunglasses. And so do a lot of people, judging from the compliments that I get. I have a newer pair of sunglasses, but I love my old pair. I can't wear contacts anymore.

What about you? Are you lucky enough not to need glasses?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you lucky enough not to need glasses?
Nope. 😕 I didn't need them when I was younger, but have been wearing them for several years now for close to medium distance. I don't need them for driving but I got so tired of taking glasses on and off, wearing them around my neck, looking for my readers--I finally got progressive transition glasses that I can wear all the time. 😎

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have worn gas permeable contacts since I was 13, so 55 years now. Can't wear soft, I found I was allergic to something in them, they are too easily damaged too. I like the hard ones, can leave them out on a dresser top all night with no fear. And they are SO much smaller!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a little near sighted and have had glasses since about fifth grade. I could pass the eye exam for my driver's license without them until this last time and I just turned 68. I always wear them when I drive anyway. I have also started wearing them for the computer monitor, I work remotely, and had to increase the size and color of the cursor because I would sometimes have to search for it when it was smaller and white. I think a lot of the recent issues is because of the cataracts which I am getting taken care of very soon,

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wore glasses from a young age, to the point where - very infrequently/occasionally - in later years I would get into bed at night with the glasses still on my head.

I had cataract surgery because I was so annoyed with color shift. Didn't care about wearing glasses just incensed about colors.

Now, if I am working at the computer for a long time I will, sometimes, wear those +1 you can pick up at Wal-Mart or the like. And use eye drops for dry eyes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in my 40's, and thankfully, still don't need glasses. My vision will get a bit blurry if I have to look at something far away or small when I'm really tired at the end of the day, but it's just eye strain.
I do however have to wear sunglasses (not prescription) almost all the time outside, even when it's overcast. My eyes are really sensitive to light. On bad days, I'll sometimes keep them on when indoors in public if the florescent lights are too bright.
The good news about all this though is I can see in the dark really well, so I save a lot on electricity...:cool:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got glasses when I was 7ish, and contacts at 13ish (I'd been begging for a while). I only put on my glasses for a few hours in the evenings. I feel like I see better with contacts than glasses (I can see in all directions without that horse in blinders feeling in glasses) and I need sunglasses outside. Also, my 10 month old likes to grab my glasses when I am wearing them, so I'm sticking with contacts as long as I can.

My husband got glasses at like 43. I'm hoping my girls have his good eyesight, because glasses are just annoying to deal with.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started wearing glasses when I was 6- lucky me. Back in the 50s, a kid with glasses was fair game for anyone and everyone. I'm nearsighted in one eye, and farsighted in the other. Plus astigmatism. Plus (probably) cataracts. Yay. Given my eyesight, contacts were never an option; first because the technology wasn't present to make them, and then the cost to buy them. Speaking of glasses, I'm about due for an eye exam and a change of prescription.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have worn glasses from the 4th grade on. I think I needed them in the second grade, but was never diagnosed..
When I first put them on, I remember, it was winter. The world opened up to me-- images so clear. It was beautiful. Yes, glasses made that much of an impression on me. My parents never had to worry about me not wearing them. Automatically, I took good care of them.

I wore contacts for many years.. at least 15 years. Then I had issues and had to stop.. I also needed bifocals at that time.

Still wearing progressive lenses; and have small cataracts in each eye.. astigmatism is pretty bad also. It seems I will always have to wear glasses. They are a part of me.. I do wish for the days contacts, or not having to wear them-- all wishful thinking.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve also worn glasses since the 4th grade. My mom and I were looking out of the window and Mom said, “Oh, look, a bunny.” And I said, “What bunny?” So glasses. I got contacts when I was 16 and wore them until my 40s, but when we moved to Utah where there’s almost never any humidity, they started gluing themselves to my eyeballs so I had to switch back to glasses.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 60 and have worn glasses since I was 15. Tried contacts briefly but hated them - they would flip up into my upper eyelid sometimes, which was incredibly painful. For most of those years I only needed distance glasses, and could comfortably read or do hand sewing without them. But as my close vision deteriorated with age, I've had to go into multifocals, and I have a pair of single-vision ones for reading or knitting (when I ever bother to put them on). I like wearing glasses and having different coloured frames. Only thing I dislike is how impossible they are to keep clean!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe I started wearing glasses when I was11 or 12.Had cataract surgery done a few years ago and now wear cheaters to read and use the computer.Contacts were never of any interest to me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my first glasses in the 2nd grade. I wear them as long as I’m awake and sometimes asleep because I fell asleep watching tv. :rolleyes2:

I used to wear contacts and I loved them until I had an infected cornea. After that I couldn’t wear them more than a workday and even then I couldn’t get comfortable in my proper prescription. I needed it a bit lower even if I couldn’t see quite as far. Once my DD came along; I just didn’t want to bother.

I don’t usually mind unless I need to dress up or have pictures done. DS told me I’m more beautiful with my glasses on anyway. :flail:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
readers only since i had cataract surgery. before that glasses and contacts since i was 9

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I had eye strain in college that the eye doctor chalked up to astigmatism and I wore glasses for it back then. I ditched them after college. Around 45 or so I needed them for reading. Now I need them a little for distance as well and have been wearing glasses with progressive lenses for maybe 6 years or so.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had glasses since I was around 11. Glasses, but I mostly wear them to drive or when I'm out somewhere. Or when I want to watch the TV downstairs becuse it's a little further away than the one in the bedroom. When I want to read the fine print these days, I have to get a magnifying glass :flail: