Question of the Day, Saturday, December 16

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Do you prefer a real or an artificial Christmas tree?

When we first got married, we always bought a real tree. There was a tree farm not too far away; we would go around the beginning of November, tag our tree, then go back around the weekend before Christmas and cut it.

When our son became asthmatic, we switched to an artificial tree and we've stuck with artificial ever since. I hate the thought of killing a tree, just for a week or so. And with our artificial trees, we can put them up much earlier and take them down later. We get more enjoyment that way. Especially Rick, who lives our Christmas trees.

What about you? Real or artificial?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, used to get real trees until the loose needles became unbearable. I have an artificial right now. Since these trees are raised to be harvested I don't see anything wrong in having one though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now it would be artificial. I used to always get a real tree but they are a hassle. The artificial ones have really improved over the years, there are nice looking ones available for a reasonable price. A long way from the ones that were around when I was a little kid. They were silver with the wheel that had different colors of filters so there would be a rotating group of four colors that would shine on the tree.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Artificial. I really do not ever want to deal with a live tree. The last live tree we had I was probably in the 3rd grade. It came from my grandparents yard and that sucker dropped most of its needles by Christmas and we were stepping on needles until we moved out of that apartment and tossed the carpet! It did not feel good! Mom got our first artificial tree the next year and she actually had that tree until just a few years ago! It had to be going on 30 years old.

This is my 22nd Christmas with our big tree. I would like to upgrade it to one of these ultra realistic ones; but I’m not spending $700 on a tree right now. 🤪 I don’t mind winding lights on it and that still concerns me about buying a pre-lit. My new foyer tree does look really nice though.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer real, but use artificial for practical reasons. It follows the same logic as, for example, preferring home cooking, but usually eating take-away.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a real tree. My parents had the same artificial one my entire childhood. I have the tree that DH and I bought at Michael's when we moved to Florida in 2002. I haven't put it up since he passed away in 2011. It's out in the shed up high on a shelf and takes two people to get it down and carry so there it stays.

I have considered getting another tree but... Sophie. Every time I asked DD if I should put a tree up, she asks the same question. "Do you want to see it destroyed in less than a day?" She's right. Sophie would see it as a jungle gym and would be on it like a furry wrecking ball.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a strong preference. We grew up with an artificial tree and got a real tree once as a kid? Im fine either way.

But it's very important to my husband to have a real tree, so that's what we do.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my life real trees, then for a few years I switched to artificial and now my trees are getting smaller and smaller.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Real, love the smell and the look, more traditional to our Nordic side and it is more economically and environmentally friendly. Plus, with living on a farm it was easy to just cut it up and burn it later for firewood. That being said, I can see the practicalities and ease of a fake one, especially if living in a more urban environment. At the moment I get to enjoy both worlds, my parents' home has a real tree and me and my BF's home have a fake one that lights up nicely.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always had a real tree when we lived back east...they were relatively inexpensive all those years ago.Moving out here was a different story and pricey.It was hard to find what I thought was a nice tree,so we went with artificial.Now we don't do a tree at all.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artificial. My animals would totally destroy a real one, plus it's a lot easier to clean up.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't remember ever having a real tree, we've always had artificial. The tree at work has had the same lights strung on it for years, it just pops into the base, touch up the branches and lights and you're good to go.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a live tree for the scent but after our first cat a long hair persian.i do see the benefits of an artificial tree no finding pine needles around months later or the constant brushing needles from kitty's fur everyday:lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree 100% :thumbsup: Artificial for me.
I agree about this too. When we lived in Colorado, DH and I planted 2 blue spruce trees in our yard. I checked Google maps recently and the trees we planted are still there and they look fantastic. Our move wasn't planned when we planted them and I had intended to decorate them during the season. It makes me so happy to know that they are still there and thriving.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I only have a tiny tree.. This year I have a lilly pilly tree that I'll plant out after Christmas. If I don't do that I fine a suitable big branch in the bush and paint it. I really don't like the artificial ones.

xmas.jpg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a couple of decades since we put a tree up (five cats plus tree wasn't a good idea), but when we did, it was an artificial one we'd had a long time. It was put away every year and served a long time.