Question of the Day, Saturday, April 20

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We went to Trader Joe's today. I only bought a few things: Olive oil, 10 pounds of unsalted butter ($3.99 pound and it's good butter), lower sodium soy sauce, balsamic vinegar. I love TJ's balsamic vinegar.

What's your favorite grocery store? Where do you shop for groceries most often?

Our standard is usually Giant. But I dearly love Trader Joe's, if only to see what I can find that's new and interesting. And, of course, we've been going to Sam's Club. We also have a Costco membership, but don't get down there very often.

What about you?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I dearly love Trader Joe's, if only to see what I can find that's new and interesting.
:yeah: Yap, Trader Joe's is my go to favorite store too. Not only do they have a great variety of interesting food but the employees are extremely helpful and upbeat. My other favorite stores are the independent produce ones for fruits and veggies. We have Jewel and Mariano's here but they are more expensive and not as good quality.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wherever I can get a good price on something. I’ve really been shopping the sales. Shaws, Stop and Shop, Hannaford, Market Basket, Walmart, Target, etc. I like Trader Joe’s but it’s a bit out of the way. I also like Whole Foods but $$$$.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly just go to Cub which is a local chain. There is another chain store HyVee right across the street, but I prefer Cub’s layout for every day shopping. There are also small chain specialty stores as well as Trader Joes and Aldi not too far away but I rarely visit them.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just have 3 in town...Aldis,WalMart and Woods.Mostly I shop at Aldis,but there are things I need from time to time at WalMart,so I'll order what I can online ,shop at the store for the rest.Woods has some pretty good sales from time to time,so I always check out their ad,and they're the only place in town that carries my favorite chicken and beef soup bases.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We shop at Aldi for 95% of our groceries; the other 5% split between Wal-Mart, BJs, and Tops markets. There is a Wegman's, a Whole Foods, and a Trader Joes in the region, but they are all too far away for routine shopping.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My go to place for staple items is Kroger. I've been shopping there my entire adult life and know most of the workers by name.
My favorite grocery store for freezer and fridge staples is a newish locally owned place that's about 30 minutes away. Everything they carry is locally grown/harvested and their transparency in product in excellent. They carry locally produced meats, milk, honey, ice cream, cheese, eggs, and fresh baked bread. Their prices are very reasonable and the people are so friendly.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Overall, probably HyVee. They just have so many options, and their store is always clean and well-stocked. They also have $4 generics, so I fill my dog's anxiety meds there.

But, I do most of my shopping at Kroger, because I want the gas points. The HyVee gas station here is really hard to get in and out of and not worth it, lol. But our Kroger is often out of items, which is frustrating, and lately it seems like when you do buy items they spoil really quickly. I bought chicken and milk there last week and when I went to use them the very next day they were both rancid. My mom says she's purchased berries and veggies just to open them and find they are moldy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don’t have any fun grocery stores like TJ here. My mom will bring me things occasionally when she visits.

Most of my groceries come from Walmart. Midweek runs are usually a local chain. We also have a discount place that sells repackaged bulk dried goods. That one is more fun to shop. I get nuts, seeds, dried fruits, sesame sticks, and chocolate covered raisins to make trail mix from there. They have a lot of baking supplies too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go to Kroger for weekly groceries. I used to occasionally go to Trader Joe's and probably will again at some point. I usually get the Mandarin Orange chicken and impulse type things at Trader Joe's.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to Market Basket and Trader Joes. I seem to alternate between the 2 of them. I usually go shopping every 7-10 days; alternating between the two of them. Trader Joe's is next to Petsmart, where I pick up Precious Cat litter. so it is convenient.

Going to make a quick trip to Market Basket after Church, this morning for just a few things. It is right in my city.

We also have a Stop & Shop; but I feel they are pricier; although, they have a few brands that MB does not carry.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I shop at Whole Foods when I need just a few things because it's less than 1/2 mile from my house and they usually have what I need. I also like Trader Joe's. Hubby likes his brand name foods, though, so when we need to stock up on staples, he'll go to Safeway or Smart & Final.