Question of The Day. Saturday 9th of January

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The coldest I have ever been is back in the 90’s when we had several days of temperatures staying around minus 30. My furnace went out the first evening of the the cold spell and I didn’t have heat until 2:30 a.m after the second night, so around 28 hours in total. I had space heaters but they couldn’t keep up. Cold and scary.
I remember that. I was maybe 10 when it happened and it was the first and only time school was closed because it was too cold. My dad is a (now retired) commercial heating and air guy and when the temperature was predicted to be very cold, a lot of the servicemen would work on-call for residential emergencies. I remember times when my dad would be gone until late at night fixing people's furnaces.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember that. I was maybe 10 when it happened and it was the first and only time school was closed because it was too cold. My dad is a (now retired) commercial heating and air guy and when the temperature was predicted to be very cold, a lot of the servicemen would work on-call for residential emergencies. I remember times when my dad would be gone until late at night fixing people's furnaces.
Yes. I stayed up all night the first night trying to get a furnace company to answer and to Leave messages. I didn’t get a callback until 8:00 am and the repair person didn’t show up until around 6:00 pm. He did repairs, or thought he did and left. Five minutes later the furnace was out again and unfortunately this guy lived north of the cities and couldn’t be reached until he arrived home. No cell phones then. So another couple hours until he came back. Then he said that the problem wasn’t my furnace, it was that the gas pressure to keep it running was too low and we had to call NSP. They came out at around 11:00 pm and tried to adjust the gas pressure but couldn’t because the pipes were frozen. So they had to tent them, blow heat in and wait. Bless those NSP guys they stayed until 2:30 am when they finally got my pressure up and then they came in and started pilot lights.

For those 30 hours or so I ran every water line every fifteen minutes, detached the dryer hose so it exhausted to the basement and kept the dryer running the whole time to heat the basement And keep the pipes from freezing. So, I ended up with no damage, just lack of sleep and being cold. Sure does make you appreciate a working furnace and even now I sometimes wake up when it’s really cold to listen To make sure the furnace is running.