Question Of The Day. Saturday 7th Of July

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Happy Saturday.

Today is Tanabata. The day when the Milky Way is supposed to be clearly visible and, according to Japanese legend, the only day of the year when the star-crossed lover Orihime and Hikoboshi can meet.

Tanabata — Story of Two Star-crossed Lovers

Sadly they might not get to meet tonight, as it's really wet and cloudy here.

:sniffle:

Did you have a favourite fairy tale when you were a kid?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I find most fairy tales to be rather grim.
Don't you mean Grimm? lol. If you ever heard the real versions of the fairy tales, you wouldn't like any of them as a kid.

I've never had a favorite fairy tale. But I find humor in the Disney Vs. Grimm versions.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you mean Grimm? lol. If you ever heard the real versions of the fairy tales, you wouldn't like any of them as a kid.

I've never had a favorite fairy tale. But I find humor in the Disney Vs. Grimm versions.
I guess Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I find most fairy tales to be rather grim.
Yes I did mane Grimm. I thought I had corrected it. Most fairy tales scared me as a kid.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do love most versions of Beauty and the Beast. Even if I have always thought the underlying moral of the story is rather problematic. I also like overthinking the problematic-ness of fairy tales, lol ;).

They all teach terrible lessons. I suppose that if you lived in a time when the majority of babies didn't live to be 5, you had to toughen up the little twerps real quick. But still. Why would you want your kids learning those lessons even if they had to be tough? Eh. Maybe we're misunderstanding them and they were the old-timey version of horror movies, not moral fables.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm... Probably Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin. And then of course Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast have always been favorite stories. Even in spinoff form.

I've been sitting here trying to think if I had any favorites that were not also Disney movies. :lol: :paperbag:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do love most versions of Beauty and the Beast. Even if I have always thought the underlying moral of the story is rather problematic. I also like overthinking the problematic-ness of fairy tales, lol ;).

They all teach terrible lessons. I suppose that if you lived in a time when the majority of babies didn't live to be 5, you had to toughen up the little twerps real quick. But still. Why would you want your kids learning those lessons even if they had to be tough? Eh. Maybe we're misunderstanding them and they were the old-timey version of horror movies, not moral fables.
I'm a horrible person for laughing out loud, for real, at the bolded sentence =)

I really liked Disney's Robin Hood as a kid =)
As a side note, nursery rhymes (the words) are technically horrifying.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Probably Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin. And then of course Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast have always been favorite stories. Even in spinoff form.

I've been sitting here trying to think if I had any favorites that were not also Disney movies. :lol: :paperbag:
I liked Pinocchio. But then realized it scared me straight, because if I didn't do the right thing ALWAYS some bad guy with a temper would keep me in a bird cage and make me travel the circus. If I got away, and made another screw up, someone else would take me to an island, turn me into a donkey, beat the crap out of me while I screamed for home and mercy then I'd probably get swallowed by a whale.
I can't play pool without thinking of that "kid turning donkey scene" and how I wet myself when I saw it (aged 26. Ha, J/K.)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I liked Pinocchio. But then realized it scared me straight, because if I didn't do the right thing ALWAYS some bad guy with a temper would keep me in a bird cage and make me travel the circus. If I got away, and made another screw up, someone else would take me to an island, turn me into a donkey, beat the crap out of me while I screamed for home and mercy then I'd probably get swallowed by a whale.
I can't play pool without thinking of that "kid turning donkey scene" and how I wet myself when I saw it (aged 26. Ha, J/K.)
I was always scared of that whale scene. I wouldn't watch it. I didn't like the mean donkey boys either. If it wasn't for Jiminy Cricket and Figaro I may never have watched the movie at all. :lol: I couldn't watch the witch-turns to fire breathing dragon scene in Sleeping Beauty either. :lol: Of course that turned out to be my DD's favorite princess movie and she didn't bat an eye at it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother said she was scared to death by Snow White. She was about 10 when it came out :dunno:. Maybe she was a nervous child, or because animation was so new it just overwhelmed her. I didn't think the Queen was that scary. . .

My mom says she watched Sleeping Beauty from under the seat, lol. But she was only 4 1/2 and that dragon IS scary!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom says she watched Sleeping Beauty from under the seat, lol. But she was only 4 1/2 and that dragon IS scary!
I also had a real fear of plants. So having the Prince battling his way though all those thorny bushes on top of a fire breathing dragon? I was done. :lol: