Question Of The Day. Saturday 4th Of May.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glendale, CA, which is a large and growing city near LA, where I was born. We're here due to a divorce and other complications, and it's a wealthy city (we're not, but...) with sky-high property values, which is good for those of us who own. It's a well-planned city, easily accessible via Uber, and has just about everything one could want or need. That said, I'm not a city-loving person and much prefer the Mojave, where we lived for 3 years before the divorce. I like low population density, serene and quiet environment, nature rather than development, four distinct seasons, and low-stress lifestyle. But compromise is part of life. This is a safe, very desirable area, so that's a plus. I'd love to move but doubt if I will.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I grew up in a suburb northwest of where I am now, but when my parents built a house north of the Cities (to get away from having neighbors and hearing traffic) over a year ago, I refused to go with them because my work commute would have been over an hour each way (plus it was time I moved out again). I ended up in this suburb because it was the cheapest apartment I could find with a management company that had high ratings, plus it's about 10 minutes from work.

I would like to move so I can have a 1-bedroom apartment instead of a studio, but I can't find anything cheaper that wouldn't be a nightmare for me because of my sensory processing issues.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved from the Hudson Valley in NY to southwest Missouri 42 years ago and have never been sorry.We live in a small college town,own our own little 3 acres but we're just 3 miles from town.I have regrets that I moved,yes.I wish I'd gotten to spend more time with my Mom before she passed and I miss my sister.Do we miss his family?NNNNNNNNO.Not real crazy about the tornado factor but.....I miss bagels,hard rolls,Kahns liverwurst and the views of the Hudson River from where we lived.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We live in a hilly, heavily forested area of southwestern Germany and are planning to stay here, though moving back to Bavaria always sounds tempting. That's where we met.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA, came to Germany on an academic exchange program, and met my husband. We lived in Philly for two years when we were first married, but moved back here due to better job opportunities and healthcare.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born and raised in Maryland, in a suburb south of Baltimore. A couple years after my husband passed away I became friends with someone while playing a game on the internet. Over a period of four years I went to Arizona several times to visit him and in 2005 I moved here to be with him in his assisted living center. I loved the mild weather in winter, so when he passed away five years later I decided to make Phoenix my home. It's been fourteen years and though I miss my hometown and friends there, I don't miss the cold and snow.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in NE Arizona. Love it. I have 40 acres and my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile from me. 20 miles from town, so it's a 30 minute drive just to the edge of town. And it's a small town, only 5000 people. Moved here because I hate, I mean hate Phoenix, but I wanted to stay in the same state as my family. Been here 17 years now.

We live in a hilly, heavily forested area of southwestern Germany
Black Forest??

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada. (Although not way up north)
I'm in the outskirts of one the major cities. I have to say that I do love where I am, but would move to an even smaller town if given the chance.
Where we are, we have a lot of bush/forest and lakes for fishing. But our town is slowly getting more and more developed, so I'm not too fond of that, and it's also creating localized flooding sometimes. (Although, I'm not personally affected)
We have pretty intense winters, but overall our weather and climate is good. We don't have to worry too much about natural disaster type things. Even if we get a tornado, (which are rare) they are more like micro bursts. We do have fault lines but earthquakes are (again rare) and feel more like if a big transport drove by your house. We are not coastal, so no worries about hurricanes or anything. Our landscape is quite beautiful, especially in the fall with all the colored leaves.
Our "people" still have a bit of "small town" mentality, but in a good way. You can smile and say hello at a stranger and not have them think your crazy. Most are helpful and courteous (except when driving - we have HORRIBLE drivers), it's not an every man for himself town, so there is an element of feeling safe.
Our crime rates seem to be going up with the growing population, but not like in the southern cities like Toronto.
We do have some crime, like any city or town, but not a lot of "scary crimes", we have more of an issue with drugs, which obviously leads to criminal activity, but if you're not part of that "circle", you most likely won't be affected. Most of the serious crimes are not a public safety concern and are targeted crimes.

Overall we have it pretty good here. If they would only do something about the hydro and gas rates/prices...:p.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*It's so amazing to see cat lovers from all over the world here on TCS. That's the kind of globalization I've always prayed for and am so heartened to learn about. With all the divisiveness and discord there is now, it's wonderful knowing that we have all kinds of backgrounds, ideologies, etc., but that we can come together here to share communication about those we love -- cats!* :yess::goldstar::cheerleader::heartshape::clap2::thanks::sunshine:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We live in a hilly, heavily forested area of southwestern Germany and are planning to stay here, though moving back to Bavaria always sounds tempting. That's where we met.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA, came to Germany on an academic exchange program, and met my husband. We lived in Philly for two years when we were first married, but moved back here due to better job opportunities and healthcare.
I know Philadelphia well--I was born, and still live within a ten-mile radius (in the suburbs) of where I was born. I like it here, although the recent spate of building in this town and the one I work in (still within that ten mile thing!) is ridiculous, and I dislike it. Not even the building, it's the the future traffic issues. The traffic in my town is AWFUL, and has gotten worse the past few months, and this is before the inhabitants of the four new apartment buildings in area, each housing literally hundreds of people, plus the three new townhouse communities, and another one on Route 30 where I don't go, so I-don't-know-what's-being shoe-horned-in-there, get here. The one apartment building houses up to 600 people--built right up against a very busy, four-lane highway. Who'd want to live there??!?!?

All that being said, it's a lovely area, and crime is low--at least until all of those new people move it (?).

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Philadelphia well--I was born, and still live within a ten-mile radius (in the suburbs) of where I was born. I like it here, although the recent spate of building in this town and the one I work in (still within that ten mile thing!) is ridiculous, and I dislike it. Not even the building, it's the the future traffic issues. The traffic in my town is AWFUL, and has gotten worse the past few months, and this is before the inhabitants of the four new apartment buildings in area, each housing literally hundreds of people, plus the three new townhouse communities, and another one on Route 30 where I don't go, so I-don't-know-what's-being shoe-horned-in-there, get here. The one apartment building houses up to 600 people--built right up against a very busy, four-lane highway. Who'd want to live there??!?!?

All that being said, it's a lovely area, and crime is low--at least until all of those new people move it (?).
There are a lot of those here in la-la land, right up against the freeway. Views of the traffic! Pollution! and best of all, 24/7-365 NOISE! Who wouldn't love it?:hmmm:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not only a native Texan, but one of those extremely rare native Houstonians. I've spent all my life in the area, although I'm in the Houston suburbs now. We're still semi-rural, with a herd of longhorns just up the road and our international airport the other way. We have all the amenities, but we also have deer, opossums, raccoons, skunks, and vultures. We're about 90 miles from the coast, so we have easy access to the salt water but we're far enough inland to miss the worst of the hurricanes. Winters are mild compared to most places, but the summers are brutal. However, everything is air conditioned, so we manage. There's nowhere I'd rather be.

Ya'll come see what we have to offer, ya hear?

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not only a native Texan, but one of those extremely rare Houstonians. I've spent all my life in the area, although I'm in the Houston suburbs now. We're still semi-rural, with a herd of longhorns just up the road and our international airport the other way. We have all the amenities, but we also have deer, opossums, raccoons, skunks, and vultures. We're about 90 miles from the coast, so we have easy access to the salt water but we're far enough inland to miss the worst of the hurricanes. Winters are mild compared to most places, but the summers are brutal. However, everything is air conditioned, so we manage. There's nowhere I'd rather be.

Ya'll come see what we have to offer, ya hear?
Some of my peeps hail from TX so I've always had an affinity for the place. Amazingly, down in Chino, CA, I saw some Texas longhorns a few years back and almost jumped out the car. Here in Glendale, CA, we also have possums (possi?), raccoons, skunks, and quite a few other wildlife species. I've still got people over there, but not in Houston, more in Garland and not sure where all else.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the London suburbs. I was born in central London, though moved to the suburbs after the city centre became less affordable to live in, and also to start school. The rest of my family were already living in the suburbs so we lived with them for a while before we got our own place. My mother's family originally come from Ireland but have been living in London since the Potato Famine.