Question Of The Day. Saturday 22nd Of April.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday.

:wave3:

@gemsgem asked which household chore you would rather pay someone to do rather than do yourself and that got me thinking: is there any housework that you really enjoy?

My Grandma used to love ironing. She's even iron pillowcases and towels and things like that. She's stand there with a huge stack of laundry and iron every single thing, told me she liked doing it because it gave her time to think.

I find vacuuming really satisfying. We have wooden floors all through the house and every morning there are golf ball sized tumbleweeds of cat hair just waiting for me to hunt them down. I love having a really spotless floor. (For about half an hour, until the cats come back indoors.)

:rolleyes:

How about you, any housework you enjoy?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For the most part, I don't mind cleaning. Not because of the cleaning in itself, but I do like the house clean and shiny.

I like to cook, but I don't like the "What do you want for dinner this week?" "Oh, I dunno, what do you want?" That's frustrating as all get-out. Not only do I have to cook it, but I have to sit down, figure out what we're having, check the coupons, make a list, and then go get it. And then cook it. Every night.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cook, especially toward the end of the week when we're running out of groceries. I like the challenge of trying to make something out of practically nothing. The funny thing is now those are some of my family's favorite dishes. :lol:

I also enjoy washing dishes by hand while looking out the kitchen window. It helps me to relax. But only if I'm the one that did the cooking. Somehow it seems more like a chore when someone else leaves a stack of dishes piled up to the ceiling for me to wash. ;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't mind cleaning the house, scooping the litter boxes, or tidying up. i don't mind cooking and baking -- washing the dishes is a different story. i think of the household chores as 'things to do, and not to think about'.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cooking and baking...if I am in the mood. :lol:
This.
All else is tedious.
Since we're discussing cleaning again if anyone has tips on how to clean old crystal please post it. I have a vase handed down to me that's about 60 years old. It's built up a film inside it over the years. I've tried various suggested methods but nothing gets it as clean as it should be. I'm afraid of etching the glass if I use something too strong to scrub with but gentle methods haven't been effective. Also can not put into the dishwasher.

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
I enjoy doing laundry, and taking out the trash. The latter doesn't seem to be much of a chore if someone else, like my husband, helps out.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoy mowing the lawn. Time is my own, no interruptions, I can think and solve issues, and I am outdoors in the lovely sunshine!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind taking out the trash and recyling or dusting but I would not go as far as saying I enjoy doing it. I used to enjoy cooking and baking but I can't do much of that anymore.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we're discussing cleaning again if anyone has tips on how to clean old crystal please post it. I have a vase handed down to me that's about 60 years old. It's built up a film inside it over the years. I've tried various suggested methods but nothing gets it as clean as it should be. I'm afraid of etching the glass if I use something too strong to scrub with but gentle methods haven't been effective. Also can not put into the dishwasher.
Have you tried soaking it in a diluted mixture of baking soda and vinegar (without actually scrubbing)? We live in a very humid climate, and sometimes soap and water just isn't enough to make that dusty film get go from all of those little nooks and crannies. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My DH has been collecting antiques for many years. He recommended a product called Dexter's which he said works wonders but is not easy to find. If you are unable to find it he said to try CLR, sometimes that will work also. Good luck!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
This.
All else is tedious.
Try putting a denture cleaning tablet in it with warm water. Leave it overnight. This will often get the minerals loose. We use vinegar for a lot of things. I wouldn't think would hurt crystal, but you might try dilute vinegar first. You MIGHT be able to shake it vigorously with rice, but I doubt it will get the vase clean.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Laundry. I like sorting the colors, the feel of the fabric. Folding. Just enjoy it. Plus gives me a reason to stay in and wait to add softner. So I have a set hour or two where I can relax while I wait for it to spin/wash.

I don't mind yard work. My body doesn't like it but mowing the lawn makes me feel strong and powerful even if it makes me sweat like a pig. I just enjoy mindless physical labor jobs. Kind of how I feel about welding...anything physical..washing dishes...vacuuming..as long as not too much stuff in the way-I enjoy the results. Mindless physical work is wonderful for the mind.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This.
All else is tedious.

I have been told that putting a fizzy stomach settler such as alka seltzer in hotish water will work. I have not tried it but I might well do so

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laundry :lol: I like clean clothes! And don't fancy having a cluttered of dirty clothing piling up somewhere. Also, the freshness and putting them away is oddly soothing.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like turning on the television. :flail: Sorry, only kidding.

I did however, recently purchase a monster mop, a mop that cleans with steam and it is working very well and seems to be very relaxing, it almost glides on the floor. Has anyone cleaned with steam?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I like turning on the television. :flail: Sorry, only kidding.

I did however, recently purchase a monster mop, a mop that cleans with steam and it is working very well and seems to be very relaxing, it almost glides on the floor. Has anyone cleaned with steam?
My answer to the question was going to be "mopping floors" - because I have a steam cleaner I absolutely love! It's so easy to use, fast, and requires no chemicals. I also use it to clean the kitchen, bathroom and litter box, plus large appliances, windows, and the living room rug. It has a number of attachments, including a mop and pressure nozzle.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting a denture cleaning tablet in it with warm water. Leave it overnight. This will often get the minerals loose.
Denture tablets really work.

Laundry :lol: I like clean clothes! And don't fancy having a cluttered of dirty clothing piling up somewhere. Also, the freshness and putting them away is oddly soothing.
The only chore I don't mind is doing laundry. I find it very cathartic to wash away my troubles, as it were.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey thanks everyone who gave me crystal cleaning tips. I had never heard of most of them so I'll try a few out and see if they work.