Question Of The Day. Saturday 15th Of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello.

:wave3:

I know we're all animal lovers here, but are there any animals that you don't like? Any animals, reptiles, insects etc that you're scared of?

This is going to sound kind of silly, but I'm scared of monkeys. I know most people rarely encounter monkeys except for in a zoo, but I live in Asia and there are a lot of wild ones around here. Not cute little monkeys either, big Macaque that show their teeth or charge at you if you accidentally get to close to them.

I always try to avoid them whenever I notice them, but on occasions I've met one unexpectedly and they're never very happy about it. Doesn't this guy look like he means business?

upload_2018-12-16_12-55-18.jpeg

There are bears and wild boar around here too, but they always run away long before you get close to them. They're not nearly as scary as the monkey.

How about you, what animals do you try to avoid?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snakes. I know most of them are harmless, but when I see one slithering across the ground, it's such an unusual movement, I freak out.

I'm terribly allergic to bee and wasp stings, but unfortunately I'm not afraid of them, except those ground wasps that shoot at you like suicide bombers.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sharks top the list of animals I'm afraid of, but they're not something I regularly encounter, unlike wild boar. We have an overabundance of them here, and I walk in an isolated area in the dark in wintertime and have seen them way too often!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of mice and rats and I do not like most birds. Owls, crows, and raven are fine, but I do not see how anyone would want a pet bird.

I also am disgusted by maggots. Most other insects I can handle seeing, but maggots make me want to vomit.

I am afraid of horses in person. On a screen or picture, I think they are beautiful, but they scare the hex right out of me. Two summers ago, my daughter and I were driving down a road near our home when a horse suddenly crossed the street and started walking down the road. We live in the country with lots of farms, Amish, and Mennonites, so seeing horses is not out of the ordinary. One walking across the street on its own is.

Not wanting the horse or anyone to get hurt, we turned the car around. My daughter jumped out and followed the horse. It ended up going into an older man's yard. (We often would see him outside with all his cats on the front porch.) He got a rope and helped my daughter get a hold of it while I called the police. The horse, at some point decided that it liked me and came up and started nipping at my shirt. (I think it wanted to eat me, but the guy said that it was being nice.)

All ended well. An officer came out and went around to local farms to see where she belonged. The family was found about two miles away. (Their field was a lot closer than that, but it was the far end of the field.) For me, it was about an hour of terror! Haha!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello.

:wave3:

I know we're all animal lovers here, but are there any animals that you don't like? Any animals, reptiles, insects etc that you're scared of?

This is going to sound kind of silly, but I'm scared of monkeys. I know most people rarely encounter monkeys except for in a zoo, but I live in Asia and there are a lot of wild ones around here. Not cute little monkeys either, big Macaque that show their teeth or charge at you if you accidentally get to close to them.

I always try to avoid them whenever I notice them, but on occasions I've met one unexpectedly and they're never very happy about it. Doesn't this guy look like he means business?

View attachment 266590

There are bears and wild boar around here too, but they always run away long before you get close to them. They're not nearly as scary as the monkey.

How about you, what animals do you try to avoid?
I had a fear of monkeys that has taken most of my adult life to overcome. The reason for the fear was my sister's fault.
My parents had taken all the kids to a sort of amusement park. I think it was called knotts berry farms? Anyway, I was about 3 years old at the time and my parents had left me with my 14 year old sister while they took my brother on some rides. The park had an old west/cowboy kind of theme. They had "jail cells" where people could go in and get their picture taken. My sister thought it would be funny to lock me in jail and pretend I was being left there. She hid somewhere while I thought I was being abandoned. Directly beside the jail cell was a large cage full of screaming monkeys. To my 3 year old brain, I thought I was locked in a cage with the monkeys. Forever.
It was traumatic to say the least. I couldn't even see a monkey on tv without getting uncomfortable. As an adult I forced myself to watch nature programs with monkeys (or any primates) to overcome my irrational fear. I think it has worked. It's not like I will come across a monkey in daily life, but at least I can see them on tv now without getting upset.
Big sisters! :gaah:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the unreasonable fear of snakes. I grew up on a farm in Kansas so I seen them regularly from spring to fall but I never got over the fear of them. I don't even go in the building with the snakes at the zoo.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Worms, although I'm getting better at dealing with them. I still gasp when I see one, but I don't run away screaming any longer. I don't even like caterpillars. As for snakes, I'm not going there. Although I'd much rather see a snake than a worm. Not crazy about bees and wasps

We have bears around here, but I'm not afraid of them. I leave them alone and they reciprocate.

I'm not afraid of stink bugs, but geez, I despise those things with a passion. I was feeding the kids this morning and one started crawling on the stove. Got a paper towel and, "Die you bas****!". Then I had to clean the stove. Hate them. Hate them, I say. They're a fall disaster and it takes forever to get rid of them once they're in the house.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester . What are stink bugs?
V verna davies Check this site out. Stink Bug Control Info: How to Get Rid of Stink Bug

Stink bugs came from Eastern Asia and....I think they've settled in central Pennsylvania! Every August, they attach themselves to our window and door screens. They get into the house and then all winter long, it's a constant struggle to get rid of them. And they stink! I'll be lying on the couch and see one crawling on the living room ceiling. Or the girls will see them crawling on the ceiling in the bedroom. Even the cats and The Beast know not to go after them. Ugly things. I don't think they're dangerous, but they're a real pain in the butt to get rid of.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't like very many dogs.
I try and be nice to them (because if you're not nice to dogs you're pretty much viewed as a monster) but the truth is, most dogs really annoy me.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a phobia about......I can hardly type the name...………….cockroaches.
We have a yearly series in the UK called 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' where celebrities are in an Australian jungle camp and they do challenges to gain stars for food. They regularly have thousands of the said beasts crawling all over them whilst doing the challenges.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a yearly series in the UK called 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' where celebrities are in an Australian jungle camp and they do challenges to gain stars for food. They regularly have thousands of the said beasts crawling all over them whilst doing the challenges.
I watched a few of the episodes for the first time. Only because John Barrowman was in it. I would have never made it through the ship. The eels, crocs, snakes were ok, but the shark....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terrified of any animal that can kill me. Especially Coyotes, Coydogs, and Bears. Also poisonous snakes & sharks.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't like crocodiles or alligators :paperbag:

I just find them very unpleasant and brutish - how they kill, who they kill, how they eat, how they look.

Nope nope nope. Some folks try to convince me otherwise but no dice.

Of course I would never wish them harm or suffering, and their survival through millions of years is impressive. And I know lot's of conservation folks adore them. I'm just content not having to live in a place where they are around! Let alone look at them.

I would also constantly be scared over the well being of all my animals, being the neurotic pet mom that I am!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I would never wish them harm or suffering
Same here. I wish wild animals no harm, but I don't want them near me. In the next life, if they are tame, I'll be all for it. But not until then.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm uncomfortable with wildlife in general. You never know what a wild animal will do. I'm not one who thinks it's adorable to feed marshmallows to raccoons or try to attract the deer. If I have to go out to the shed at night I'm always shining the flashlight up on the roof and in the trees to make sure a cougar isn't up there waiting to pounce on me. And I'm sure I'd be super scared if I found myself in the company of a bear or a shark or something! But no actual animal phobias.

I LOVE snakes of all types, and I don't mind bugs, although
I admit that swarms of anything are disconcerting.