Question of the Day - Monday, November 2, 2020

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm often asked to bring a dessert of sorts, and it's usually a sugar pie (I use my great grandmother's recipe) and something else for those who don't like sugar pie.
I'm also usually asked to make the gravy wherever I go....I make awesome gravy.
If I'm hosting, my stuffing is different from others and always goes over really well. And I also like making my green bean side dish.
I fry up onions and french cut green beans till just softened, then add sliced water chestnuts and sliced almonds, until the almonds seem cooked. I don't know how to explain what a cooked almond looks like, but when you see some of them are slightly browned and just to say softer, it's usually good. Its a really simple dish but I find it quite tasty, and everyone has always commented that they really liked it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Here you go!
You can also find the recipe here: Recipes - Side Dishes And Vegetables I added notes to the effect that I don't think you need all the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, etc. I like this recipe because I don't have to mess with mashing potatoes at the last minute. (I also make my gravy ahead of time for the same reason.) The original recipe uses Russet potatoes; I use gold or red potatoes. Try it and see what you think.

Adapted from One Potato, Two Potato - Roy Finamore 2001

Party Potatoes

MAKE AHEAD:
They can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored, tightly covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and finish in the oven while the roast turkey is waiting to be carved.

3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature (I don't think you need that much)
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream, at room temperature (I don't think you need that much)
2/3 cup 2 percent milk, warmed (I don't think you need that much)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Sweet paprika

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold, salted water to cover them by at least an inch. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce to medium, partially cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Set over medium heat for a minute or two, shaking or stirring so the potatoes don't stick, until they are floury and have made a film on the bottom of the pot.

Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed, break up the pieces. Cut 6 tablespoons of the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the potatoes, beating until the butter is absorbed. Add the cream cheese and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Add a little of the warmed milk at a time (it may not all be needed), beating until the potatoes are light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Spoon the potatoes into the dish and smooth the top. With a spatula or fork tines, swirl or score the surface of the potatoes to leave little peaks that will brown up during baking.

Sprinkle paprika to taste on top of the potatoes. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and scatter them over the surface. Bake until the potatoes are heated through and the top is lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. 12 servings

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm often asked to bring a dessert of sorts, and it's usually a sugar pie (I use my great grandmother's recipe) and something else for those who don't like sugar pie.
I'm also usually asked to make the gravy wherever I go....I make awesome gravy.
If I'm hosting, my stuffing is different from others and always goes over really well. And I also like making my green bean side dish.
I fry up onions and french cut green beans till just softened, then add sliced water chestnuts and sliced almonds, until the almonds seem cooked. I don't know how to explain what a cooked almond looks like, but when you see some of them are slightly browned and just to say softer, it's usually good. Its a really simple dish but I find it quite tasty, and everyone has always commented that they really liked it.
I make green beans similarly. Delicious!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I feel like I have a lot of signature dishes. :lol: On Thanksgiving I have to make a lot of different things because everyone has a favorite thing I make. For some it is the French Meat stuffing, for some the Portuguese stuffing, the mac and cheese, chocolate chip cookies, mashed potatoes, etc. I have one friend that always wants my cream cheese brownies or my buffalo chicken dip and another that always wants Reuben dip. There will be no get togethers this year, so none of these signature dishes will be getting made.

I usually use this mashed potato recipe On Thanksgiving which is similar to Winchester's -

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

I did get this link in an email yesterday abut mashed potatoes -

The 7 Biggest Mistakes You Make With Mashed Potatoes