Question Of The Day - Monday, March 25, 2019

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. If I can physically do it, I do. We have spent the last 4 1/2 years restoring/renovating our 1923 Craftsman(ish) bungalow. (Craftsman-ish because it is missing all the builtins typical of the style, except in our bedroom, which has bookshelves on two walls.) Since I cannot stand for long due to my disability, I used a hand sander to redo all the floor. I sat and scooted for the sanding, staining, and sealing. I have redone the plumbing in our kitchen and bathroom (not the tub), and I have done a lot of painting and wall minor wall repair. The painting required help. I put out down polished concrete floors in the kitchen and bathroom. I made epoxy countertops, too.

This past summer, my husband and I repaired and partially rebuilt the back deck and front porch. This included me figuring out how to make affordable, not ugly, (mostly) period-appropriate column surrounds. I built an ottoman and made a coffee table and small bookshelf out of an old 1980's headboard that my son found for free. The ottoman could be better, but I think that has to do with the quality of the legs that I bought. I plan on replacing them. The rest was made with free wood from a trussing company where my neighbor's daughter's boyfriend works and leftover fabric, so I cannot really complain.

I hurt both my bad leg and my good leg pushing myself too far last year doing the porch, though. I will not make that mistake again. Thankfully, we are pretty much done with any major repairs.

I have replaced the fan and compressor on our fridge, too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd say that i'm relatively handy. i'll take on home repairs/projects that i've carefully looked into and know i'm able to do myself.

i've found that some things i didn't think i could do, i really could do. but i also am able to recognize when something is beyond my knowledge and/or ability.