Question Of The Day - Monday, January 7, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry about forgetting last week's question until...Wednesday I think. I was so lost in the holiday fog! :help:

How often do you grocery shop? Do you go in person? Have it delivered or pick it up? Let someone else take care of it?

Normally I go for one good trip a week and then I end up running out for more milk or something we forgot too. This week I am trying Walmart's grocery pickup. Life has been SUPER busy and I just don't want to waste time on my weekend that I could be enjoying with my family. I'm not convinced I will keep using the service for produce and meats. But so many people are singing the praises of it I'm really ready to join in on that. I figure even if I have to go for produce and meat it's still way quicker than a typical trip with 2 kids in tow. And better than leaving everyone home to have fun while I resist road rage. (Actually I think I left the road rage stage behind when my kids outgrew the toddler stage. ;))

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally we have a household list on a white board to put down things we need but not right now. When someone does need to go for something right now they get the items on that list too. I usually end up going once a week to get fresh greens for my rabbit then whatever else is needed at the time.

But I usually just do the little side trips between big trips. My Mom does most of the big trips. She usually will make big batches of freezer meals to warm up as needed. So she ends up doing one or two big trips per month with smaller trips during the week to get fresh veggies to go along with the frozen whatever. At any given time we usually have meatloaf, roasts, lasagna, enchiladas, and soups for at least a month in the freezer.

Haven't tried the delivery services. My Mom is way too picky on produce and meat choices to let someone else pick it out for her. Living in California most of our fresh produce selection is pretty good. Some things like milk, eggs and butter are usually picked by whatever is the best price at the time. Outside of that we don't have very much canned or prepackaged goods that could be ordered for delivery.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know how often I go. Some weeks, I go at least three times, other weeks I don't go at all. It kind of depends upon how much money I have at the moment and how much I actually want to eat the food I already have in my apartment. I have done online shopping then picked it up (because I was out of the delivery area for the store I wanted to go to), but I usually just go to the store. It also is dependent on how good the gas rewards deals are. One week I got nearly $2.00 off per gallon of gas based on the stuff I bought because it was stuff I actually used frequently.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go about every 10 days, but am now trying to go once a week. I bought too much going every 10 days or two weeks. I used the delivery service when I was paralyzed for 6 weeks and after surgery, but the brands are not what is in the store. They are some off-brands that must be marketed to delivery services. Like Arnold bread and cookies. Never heard of it. Sometimes the choices were very limited. I didn't like that, and I'd rather pick my own fruit and veggies. So I go to the store and ride the scooter because I can't walk well enough to go through the whole store pushing a cart.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once or twice a week. I go in person. I see no point in a delivery service for myself. I literally live across the street from an independent grocer and the supermarket is half a block up the street.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We shop at our local no-frills store every week or so, and hit a BJ's every couple of months.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since I'm vegetarian, (DH is not), I like to go several times a week for fresh produce. I never really thought about it but I'm super picky when grocery shopping and would not let someone else pick out my groceries since I like to compare prices and shop with coupons.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I regularly go to Sioux Falls for "big shopping" once every 2 weeks. I visit my parents twice a week so I'll sometimes stop at their Walmart or grocery store if I need something in between. But their Walmart isn't as well stocked as the Sioux Falls Walmarts.

I rather enjoy shopping for necessities so I don't want to use a delivery service (not that anyone one would deliver where I live without charging a bundle!) or pickup service. I think if I had kids I would though. Maybe not for produce and meat, but for everything else. You could even run inside for produce and meat and it would still save you a lot of time.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try for once a week, but if they're out of something on my list, I'll be doing another fast run midweek.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a pretty routine person and I try to either go by myself or just bring my 4 year old since she has way more patience than my 6 year old, so I go once per week to the grocery store and once per week to Costco. Sometimes, I have to change my grocery routine, but typically that is how it works. I like walking through the store and getting what I need, so I'm not sure I would like ordering and picking up. Lol.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Like Arnold bread and cookies.
Arnold is a popular brand in this area. :)

I used to do one huge shopping. Eventually I figured out that I ended up throwing too much way when I did that. Now I plan for a few days worth of meals and necessities and get those. I usually have a few quick, easy meals in the freezer I can supplement with like soup, meatballs, etc. I'd say I probably go 1-2 times a week now.

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try to go every Sunday. I go by myself, carry the bags in, etc. Glad when it's over. lol

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go once a week, Saturday or Sunday whichever fits into my schedule. I get home too late weekdays to even run into a store for basics if run out of. My husband will run up to the corner store for milk or bread if need be but otherwise if we're out, we're out.

I've tried having it delivered, particularly when I was incapacitated with injuries (my husband doesn't drive) but I always get aggravated with the service. Too expensive, and the people that pick the food don't pay attention and I'd wind up getting poor quality produce, incorrect items or things over/under in weight from what I needed.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very fortunate and live 5 houses away from the closest groceries store and have 2 more within 1/4 of a mile away.

I usually go 2 times a month for main stuff and go by as needed, mostly for CAT/DOG FOOD, it seems weekly.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've done all four of those options over the last year. Sometimes we go 3 weeks without setting foot in a grocery store. Since I am sight-impaired only my husband can drive but he gets home late from work. We are veggie-oriented, we eat meat but not as much as most people. So by the time he can get to the store things are picked over. We have a veggie eating lizard and there are times where the supermarket veggies are not fit to feed to him- they might be ok for hogs but I don't know! So we go to a veggie market just for vegetables- probably once a week if we can and we order regular groceries for delivery about every two weeks.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arnold is a popular brand in this area. :)
It's almost unheard of here, unless some chains I don't go to carry it.

Cat food is an issue for me, too. I ran out of their food one day after we had 6 inches of snow, and I was unable to shovel the driveway.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of my C-PTSD, grocery shopping can be difficult for me, but my therapist gives it to me as "homework." I also have cibophobia, a deep terror of certain foods, which makes grocery shopping hellish.

I go to Aldi's once a month. I typically take my 18-year-old daughter or my husband because the crowd is too much for me to handle.

We live in a small village with a single local grocery store. I go to it once every two to three weeks. I usually go alone, but often my husband or daughter will go with me.

If we need something that cannot be purchased at our local store or Aldi's, I make a special trip out of town to either Giant Eagle or (yuck!) Walmart. I only go late at night and as needed. If I go alone or with someone is determined on whether or not I am having a good day and who is home at the time.

If I could physically and mentally tolerate it, I would rather just make one big trip once every three weeks just to avoid going! Haha!

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I shop for my MIL for the things she uses all the time like diapers and bedpads, and certain grocery items. I order online and it is great! I pick up on my way home and get home 15 min later than usual. It is inexpensive. I order 2 weeks at a time and it saves me at least 2 - 3 hours.` In my life that is huge. I get what I order and have been very pleased.

I shop for myself at 7:30 am on Sunday or on my way to work and put perishables in the fridge. Usually once or twice a week, for produce and meat if I want a certain thing. I look for clearance too, which you can't do with online ordering.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in-store grocery shopping is once per month for two consecutive months, and then i skip the third month.

i'm particular in the choices i make, so i wouldn't want to use a pick-up service. and i'm very frugal minded, too.

i also buy groceries at the local 'produce' auction. and i buy quite a few ingredients in bulk online.