Question of the Day - Monday, February 8, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a bright, sunny day and the air feels nice outside. I stepped out in my fuzzy bathrobe to move the suet block and it just felt nice. I'm not complaining about this nice blue sky either! *Someone* moved the squirrel's clay saucer again. It's a bit over half way to the tree. I'm going to have to paint the edge a bright color to help me find it if they keep this up. I need a proper feeder for them again sooner rather than later I guess. :lol:

Do you feed your local wildlife?

We've been here going on 12 years and started with one bird feeder hanging from the eve of the house right in front of the cat tree. Eventually I added hummingbird feeders, a thistle sock and in the winter a suet block feeder. And a bird bath. For about 10 years we never saw a squirrel here. We had bunnies but no squirrels. They've found us now so the bird feeder had to move to a shepherds hook with a baffle; but I still have a pretty nice view. I had a squirrel feeder in one tree to deter them from the bird feeders. But that was destroyed when the tree was hit by lightning last summer. The tree itself is gone now too. I want to get them another feeder but I haven't decided where to put it. They can be pests; but they are also super cute sitting there nibbling on their food. :lol:

I have no plans to feed any other critters. The people across the street have barn cats; but I've seen them putting out food for them and they look well fed. I don't really want to encourage them to cross the street here so I'm glad I don't NEED to feed any. My friend's husband used to keep our corn for the deer around their property; but they weren't fenced in and even more rural than we are. And they had more land. My Grandma always put out old bread for the squirrels and birds. I don't want to encourage them with stuff like that. Bread doesn't really get old here either. :rolleyes2:

With outdoor cameras becoming more popular and affordable it's tempting to get one for the backyard so I can see who is coming around when I'm not looking. I woke DD up in the middle of the night to watch a meteor shower from the back patio and something was in the yard with us. My flashlight only reflected off it's eyes. It was definitly not a cat. But whatever it was; it kept going toward my neighbor's fence. And I sure wasn't going to do anything to make it feel threatened. :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes leave some nuts for the chipmunks or squirrels. I once befriended a chipmunk in my yard by sitting outside quietly and got him comfortable enough to eat out of my hand. Other than that, I don't really feed any wild animals...my yard is quite adequate for feeding small animals and birds with all the trees and plants, and I don't want to attract any larger animals. We get enough bears, raccoons and coyotes...I don't need to encourage it more.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure do. Heated water is out for all. The squirrels get corn and nuts mixture. Birds get choice of peanuts, black sunflower and golden safflower. Cats get kibble and any other wildlife get anything that’s out that they are interested in. I have had turkeys, ducks, deer, opossum, raccoons, rabbits and a fox show up.

I do have a camera on the back porch so I can see who shows up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put food waste out in the treeline. Whoever eats it, that's their business, lol. As long as they don't become pests I don't care. I also put a small amount of cat kibble out every night for a wandering tomcat I've seen a couple times, and I've also seen possums eating it, and once a raccoon. But that's it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to have bird feeders outside my old house and feed birds and squirrels. I pretty much stick to feeding feral cats, but in the past there were instances where raccoon or opossum would "invite" themselves to dinner. I never took up feeding them because it is against the law here, they only got an odd meal here and there when they snuck into my feedings.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We have two thistle feeders for the finches, a tube feeder for the other birds, and a hummingbird feeder. The Anna’s hummingbird stays all winter in Oregon.

And we’re also feeding rats (not on purpose) which somehow got into the closet off the patio where we keep bird seed and from there into our attic where they scamper around in the middle of the night and chew on things. I hate killing things but we had the rat guy come out and set traps. :( So far the rats have outwitted the humans.

I used to feed the koi in our lake, but our neighbors have been feeding the ducks huge quantities of corn. They’ve become so habituated to humans (the ducks not the neighbors) that it’s impossible to feed the koi. The ducks see me out there and race over, quacking their heads off, and hoover down all of the koi food before the fish get it. We’ve gone from 20 charming ducks to more than 60 quacking, squabbling mallards in an area that’s much too small for so many ducks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use to have bird feeders outside my old house and feed birds and squirrels. I pretty much stick to feeding feral cats, but in the past there were instances where raccoon or opossum would "invite" themselves to dinner. I never took up feeding them because it is against the law here, they only got an odd meal here and there when they snuck into my feedings.
My grandparents live/lived in the same suburban neighborhood. They started having issues with raccoons raiding trash cans. They were especially fond of chicken wing bones. People ended up having to go to lengths to keep them out of the trash. Its made me warry of attracting them with our feeders but so far so good.
We have two thistle feeders for the finches, a tube feeder for the other birds, and a hummingbird feeder. The Anna’s hummingbird stays all winter in Oregon.

And we’re also feeding rats (not on purpose) which somehow got into the closet off the patio where we keep bird seed and from there into our attic where they scamper around in the middle of the night and chew on things. I hate killing things but we had the rat guy come out and set traps. :( So far the rats have outwitted the humans.

I used to feed the koi in our lake, but our neighbors have been feeding the ducks huge quantities of corn. They’ve become so habituated to humans (the ducks not the neighbors) that it’s impossible to feed the koi. The ducks see me out there and race over, quacking their heads off, and hoover down all of the koi food before the fish get it. We’ve gone from 20 charming ducks to more than 60 quacking, squabbling mallards in an area that’s much too small for so many ducks.
Oy there is a little park like that near my moms house. They have a mix of ducks and geese and they will swarm people with food. :cringe:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandparents live/lived in the same suburban neighborhood. They started having issues with raccoons raiding trash cans. They were especially fond of chicken wing bones. People ended up having to go to lengths to keep them out of the trash. Its made me warry of attracting them with our feeders but so far so good.

Oy there is a little park like that near my moms house. They have a mix of ducks and geese and they will swarm people with food. :cringe:
I haven't seen a raccoon or opossum in the neighborhood I live in for years. There were some young wild ones that stole food from the cats, even try to break into my house. My screen door to my patio got ripped badly. That was a really bad summer years ago. I don't dislike raccoons, but so glad when these wild ones went off elsewhere.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen a raccoon or opossum in the neighborhood I live in for years. There were some young wild ones that stole food from the cats, even try to break into my house. My screen door to my patio got ripped badly. That was a really bad summer years ago. I don't dislike raccoons, but so glad when these wild ones went off elsewhere.
This past summer, I found a bunch of mashed tomatoes on the ground around the plants. I set up a trail camera to catch the culprit- it was a raccoon.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a picture window on the west side of my house with an awning,and my bird feeder hangs from the awning as does my suet feeder.We also have 2 maple trees out there so we decided to put out another suet feeder to please the 3 pileated woodpeckers that come to eat,and also a male northern flicker.So the second suet feeder hangs from one of the lower limbs so we can all watch them eat.I have a couple of benches close to that window in my dining room so the cats can watch their free tv...lol!We also put out a pan of cracked corn for the squirrels,rabbits,doves and whoever else is hungry.Keeps the squirrels out of my bird feeder.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't dislike raccoons either but they scare me. When I walked out on my deck with food they would run towards me and jump up on my leg trying to get to the food. I adore the opossums. They are so sweet. They are not bold like the raccoons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought DS a stuffed raccoon when he was tiny. He was about 6 months old when I gave it to him and he grabbed on tight with both arms. “Buddy” has been with him ever since! He loves raccoons so much! But I don’t want them hanging here like that. He can stick with books for now.