Question of the Day - Monday, February 28, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone else GLAD it's not a leap year so tomorrow is March?? ✋:wave2: I saw it's the meteorological end of winter today too. There looks to be the beginning of buds on our back hedges. I need to go get a closer look!

This past weekend we had the funeral service for my Grandfather; so we got to spend time with a lot of family. DS and my cousin's son were having a blast playing Hide & Seek at my Grandmother's. I was sitting at the kitchen table chatting with my cousin and suddenly there was a commotion. No crying so I didn't really think anything of it at first but a lot of adults were moving for the stairs saying something about my son's head being stuck. Yep. My darling darling boy had his head stuck under the bed he was trying to get under to hide...:rolleyes2: I looked at my dad and said "You know who he inherited that from right?" :flail:The Dads rescued him and he came out with a big grin and his ears red with embarrassment. It was pretty funny. (Since no one got hurt...) :tongue:

Apparently my cousin's son came out just nonchalantly saying "Um... ___'s under the bed. ... His heads stuck..." No big deal. :lol:

This was FAR FAR better than the time he got his pants stuck on a bathroom drawer knob and fell off the counter; pulling the drawer out and blocking me from getting in the bathroom. He was like 4 and all he could say was that he was stuck on the floor. He was REALLY into firetrucks at that age and all I could think was that I'd be calling the fire department for help! And he would have LOVED it. :lol:

Did you ever get yourself into "situations" as a kid?

I really don't remember having to be rescued or anything; but I can't say this is a boy thing because I did some jumping out of tree houses (into deep snow) and things as a kid. My Dad has a story about catching me mid fall when I was a toddler. I guess I just managed to avoid any big scrapes or situations. Maybe I was just more cautious than DS is. But he does seem to fit that stereotype sometimes!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brothers used to sit on the shed roof as kid's. Because I was younger I couldn't climb up without climbing on the bin to the wall then the roof. I had followed one brother up and he told me to get down. I was about to climb down and tell mum what they were up to, when the other brother moved the bin so I couldn't get down. I didn't call for help because I wasn't meant to be up there, so they made me stay up there until they were bored. Then made me promise not to grass before putting the bin back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i got caught running away from home once when i was 6 years old
I remember getting up one morning and deciding to run away at about that age. I was not having the existinal crisis my poor mother thought I was. I just wanted to. :dunno: I was packing a bag to head to my Grandma's. Literally right down the street. My poor mother. :lol: We ended up spending some time at a local Children's Museum. I really think I just wanted to try it since I'd heard about it somewhere. :paperbag:
Think I watched and learned from my elder sister who branded herself sitting on a hot wood stove, imprinting its name on her behind!
Oh man! I feel bad for laughing...but wowzers!! Its definitely better to learn from other people's mistakes! :agree: I've tried to do that from the school years up. (Maybe my cousin's son won't stick his head in places it doesn't fit? ;))

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not me, but my brother sure did. He was always getting cut up, knocking a tooth out, falling off something, getting stuck, etc. I remember one time he got his head stuck in the banister and my mom was laughing so hard she couldn't get him out and he was SO MAD that she was laughing but there was nothing he could do, lol.

Another time I took the swing he wanted---they were cast-iron swings shaped like animals and we both liked the cow best---so he gave it/me a shove, and, as swings do, it came back at him and hit him in the head. We were only a block from the clinic so my mom rushed him over there right away and they had to wrap him up in a sheet and it still took 5 techs to hold him down for the stitches. He wasn't even crying or screaming, just yelling stuff like "hey, what are you doing? Let me go, I don't like this!"

So how could I even try to compete with that? :lol: He came by it honestly; my dad's uncle once famously jumped off the barn with bedsprings tied to his feet, hoping to get a good bounce. Spoiler: nope. He broke both legs badly and was bedridden for the rest of the summer, poor kid.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I never did, maybe because I knew parental rescue was a long shot. But my son had a hysterical one. I get up one morning, he was maybe six, and he is face down on his bed, wailing. I ask him what is wrong and all I get is thrashing and crying. After a few more seconds I am at “get up and tell me what’s wrong!” stage and he stops crying long enough to say “I can’t!” Seems he had gone to bed chewing gum and during the night had managed to stick the gum to his hair and forehead and then stick that to his pillow so tightly that when I helped him sit up the pillow came with. I had to cut the fabric away from the pillow just to get it away from his face, then peel it off his forehead and use a combo of peanut butter and ice to get the fabric and gum out of his hair. I never had to lecture him about gum after that.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my dad was building the cellar, there was a huge hole in the ground with a huge drop. I was running around and fell in the hole, but there was a ledge there. My dad thought I had fallen down into the cellar, so he took a flying leap at me and knocked me down cellar! It was a huge drop and he fell on top of me. I don't know how we survived that fall! I got a mouthful of dirt. To this day he doesn't believe me that it was his fault and he knocked me in.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten my head stuck in a railing. I was 15 and should have known better. :lol: One time I had my whole hand shut in a car door and for some very weird reason it did not hurt. I don't know if it was just the angle or something else, but while it didn't hurt, I couldn't pull my hand out either. I was a very shy and anxious child and I was scared to tell the person that my hand was stuck in their door and I briefly considered not even telling them, but I wouldn't have been able to shut my door, so I had to awkwardly say, "um, my hand is caught in your door." It's been over 20 years and I can't figure out why it never hurt. My hand was completely fine too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously I don't remember this as I was way too young. My cousin and I were on my grandmother's front porch and I saw a caterpillar. Picked it up and....down the hatch. My cousin started screaming my mom's name. Mom came out to see what was going on and saw the caterpillar in my mouth. She was pregnant with my sister and couldn't handle it. Her lunch came up.

Or the time Mom was trying to change my diaper. And I backed into my grandmother's coal stove. The doctor said I'd live, but I guess my bottom was sore for quite a while.

Again, on my grandmother's front porch. My cousin and I were playing. Got my head caught between the spindles in the porch. My cousin started yelling for Mom. They got me out.

My cousin and I were riding our bikes. I hit a stone and fell off my bike. And couldn't get up. My cousin ran for his aunt who's a nurse. She came over, looked at my knee and said, "Pam, this is going to hurt." And grabbed my knee and put it back where it belonged. Again, the doctor said I'd live. But that hurt!

My Dad always said it was a miracle I lived to reach ten years old. Not that I stopped doing stupid stuff.