Question Of The Day - Monday, February 25, 2019

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really know how many inches. I remember snows in Kansas up to my waist but in Kansas we always got the wind and drifting with snow. I wasn't living in Ohio when they got the big blizzard that everyone still talks about. I think maybe 8 to 10 inches is the most I have seen in Ohio. Other then two years I haven't lived in an area of Ohio that gets the lake effect snow.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In one storm, it was 36 inches in 36 hours.

However, where I grew up, we once had 19 feet all in one calendar month of January one year. People were being advised to place something colorful on their car antenna (back when cars still had tall antennas!) so that you could see if there was a car sitting on the cross street at an intersection. I lived a block from the high school and normally walked, but my mom had to drive me every day that winter because it was too dangerous for me to try and walk on the ridiculously narrow street.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Is your DD Okay? And were they able to repair your dishwasher? I have a Bosch and I love that thing.

I'd say the worst we saw (that I can remember, anyway) was probably the March blizzard in 1993. We got between 2-1/2 to 3 feet of snow. PennDOT had to come out our road with backhoes or frontloaders or whatever they are, to get us out. To the immediate west of us on the road were two barns, one on either side of the road; the wind blew the snow pretty much up to the second level of those barns; it was a freaky thing that happened. It couldn't be just plowed out. The snow started on a Saturday and continued until Sunday night. The wind was simply unreal, almost like a snowy tropical storm in areas. We didn't get to work on Monday, needless to say. Our road was unreal that time.

But we've had snowy winters where we gave up trying to keep the driveway open. We shoveled areas down by the road for our vehicles, then shoveled a "tunnel" up the driveway. At times that tunnel was waist-deep....it was interesting trying to bring groceries up the driveway.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone around here talks about the Blizzard of 78. I know I didn't have school for at least a week and it took days and days before the streets were clear. I think if it happened now it wouldn't be as much of an issue. We are better prepared.

Maybe 4-5 years ago we had the winter that would never end where we would get a foot of so of snow every other day. It was the first time in my life I have ever had to have the snow shoveled off our roof.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard, at this late date, to recall the greatest one-shot snowfall. There was the year we had to dig a tunnel to the barn to feed and milk the cows, or when we had to remove the glass from the outer door to dig our way out of the house. The latest one was when I had to use the front-end loader to dig my way from the company parking lot to the street, because the snow was over the hood of my 4x4 Dodge, and I had to move the snow away to get the door open. We ended up getting 7 ft. of snow that time.
That sounds like Lake Effect snow. Nasty stuff. :crazy: :lol:
It was in Colorado around 1999 I think. It was mid October and we got dumped on. The snow in the street was thigh deep. My DH had to dig the front door out so I could walk to work (it wasn't too far). People were using snowmobiles to get around. They didn't plow the secondary streets back then (they might now- I have no idea) but they didn't back then. I was working at Wal Mart at the time and we had a skeleton crew there because most people couldn't get there except by snowmobile- that's how the few customers we had got there. We had so few employees show up that I thought the manager was going to cry when he saw me clock in.
If you lived on a secondary street, you had to rely on a neighbor with a plow attachment for their truck. I will never forget having to wade through that thigh deep snow. It was miserable. Never again.
I'm with ya on that. I don't miss living in a snowy region; although we can get walloped here too. That's why we had a wood stove installed in the house. Back to back blizzards when DD was a newborn were NOT fun! :headshake:
I live in Minnesota, every big snowstorm feels the same, so I can't pick one out exactly. I vaguely remember the infamous 1991 Halloween blizzard. I was 5 years old and insisted on going trick-or-treating despite snow being up to my chest (and I was a tall 5-year-old).
I'd have given you extra candy. :lol2:
1983 and we had two back to back 23 inch snowstorms, a day apart. The second of the two came down hard and fast and I got stuck several times driving a few miles home. Pulled my 75 AMC Pacer into my drive and in the morning except for its antenna, you couldn’t see any part of it. It was totally buried past it’s rooftop. My son was a 14 at the time and it took the two of us from morning until night to shovel the car and the drive out.
Ugh. We've seen a few bad storms here where it took 5 hours for 5 people to clear my parent's driveway. It's not particularly long but it can hold 7 cars if you park them right. They bought a snow blower a few years ago now that all the kids are grown and out on their own. :lol: (They also started using the actual dishwasher.... ;))
OK, laugh if you will. We once had about 2 1/2 inches of snow. We scalped every bit of snow off the front yard to make a tiny snowman about three feet tall. He looked emaciated. The sticks that formed his arms were almost fatter than he was.
:lol: Well if your in Texas you better make the most of that!
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Is your DD Okay? And were they able to repair your dishwasher? I have a Bosch and I love that thing.

I'd say the worst we saw (that I can remember, anyway) was probably the March blizzard in 1993. We got between 2-1/2 to 3 feet of snow. PennDOT had to come out our road with backhoes or frontloaders or whatever they are, to get us out. To the immediate west of us on the road were two barns, one on either side of the road; the wind blew the snow pretty much up to the second level of those barns; it was a freaky thing that happened. It couldn't be just plowed out. The snow started on a Saturday and continued until Sunday night. The wind was simply unreal, almost like a snowy tropical storm in areas. We didn't get to work on Monday, needless to say. Our road was unreal that time.

But we've had snowy winters where we gave up trying to keep the driveway open. We shoveled areas down by the road for our vehicles, then shoveled a "tunnel" up the driveway. At times that tunnel was waist-deep....it was interesting trying to bring groceries up the driveway.
DD was fine. If she even ended up with a bruise she hasn't complained. And she's been quick to volunteer to dry dishes as I wash them. She has gotten very tall for her age and lately I'm noticing she is a bit clumsy. My mother thinks she's just in a "gangly" stage and hasn't learned how to control her movements at this size.

The repair man actually laughed at my retelling of what happened. He think just the hinges need to be fixed. So they will be calling when those come in. Till then; DD and I are on KP. :soldier: We have a Bosch too and I love it. This will probably be one of those stories the kids retell when they are grown and laugh. "Remember that time we broke Mom's less than one year old dishwasher??" :rolleyes: I had my paperwork out. We bought it March 8th of last year. :rolleyes:
Everyone around here talks about the Blizzard of 78. I know I didn't have school for at least a week and it took days and days before the streets were clear. I think if it happened now it wouldn't be as much of an issue. We are better prepared.

Maybe 4-5 years ago we had the winter that would never end where we would get a foot of so of snow every other day. It was the first time in my life I have ever had to have the snow shoveled off our roof.
I think I've seen slides of that Blizzard. And another when people were making tunnels between their neighbor's houses to get around. :lol2: