Question of the Day - Monday, February 21, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the last week of February! :cheerleader: Spring typically reaches us in March; but sometimes we still get some snow or cold days. I'm just happy it's closer.

This morning I set up DD's new math unit online. We switched to a new program with online instruction this year and spent the first half of the year working over gaps and getting used to this program. DD's always been good in math; but fractions and decimals got off the rails last winter while we were having to take school elsewhere for 3 months. The program is also different than what she did before; so we needed some time to adjust. I'm happy to say she is doing EXCELLENT at grade level now. And I just assigned her the Fractions unit and she was like "Ok." Not a hint of protest. :yess: Changing curriculum feels risky and nerve wracking because I already put so much time into it. But if it's not working it's not working right? And that's kind of the point in homeschooling. :lol: I so wish I could switch DS to the same program; but I think it's just WAY too different. :crazy:

Have you ever had to take a leap of faith? Maybe a big move or a new job?

I don't think I'm a "leaping" kind of person. I like to think things out and feel confident in my decisions. I did quit a job without one line up. That might be my biggest leap. It worked out fine and because I'd already quit; I was available to start a much better job immediately when I got a call a few weeks later. I have a friend who has done some really cool things because she's not afraid to try. Of course she's also had some big flops too. I'm ok with not being like that. Theres a place for all of us in this world. But sometimes life just forces you to.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my Greatest Leap of faith is when I was faced with being transferred to a ship. Since I wasn't Ok with that idea. I chose instead to take a work position on a remote island in Japan for 1 year. I was able too successful work through the unknowns that laid ahead. That first leap help ease other leaps of faith that followed .

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I took a job in Malaysia. It didn't end up working out, but it was definitely a leap into the unknown.

I also did online dating, where I met my husband. Agreeing to meet him was my best leap of faith.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than one:
In 1967, I enlisted, not knowing if I would see the end of my enlistment still in one piece
In '71, I proposed to Michele, not knowing if she would say yes or laugh in my face
In '74 I drove to Atlanta to check out a job offer from the CDC. That one didn't pan out, as I had to turn it down.
Those are the high points, but at my age it feels like getting out of bed each day is a leap of faith.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 21 I had been seeing someone for over a year and he was beginning to suggest marriage. I had a decent paying job as a a legal secretary but he was an unemployed Vietnam Vet with PTSD and that concerned me. I was at work one mid summer day, talking pros and cons of marrying him with a coworker and it became clear that I really didnt want to get married, what I wanted to do was to go college. I had a little money saved for a car and I thought maybe I should just go for it. I called the college that afternoon and found out that there was only one day left to apply for fall semester, so I took a long lunch, drove over, put my application in.

Acceptance came quick and within weeks I told my boss I was leaving in the fall. That first year I took out a college loan, used my savings, moved to a cheaper apartment and lived on food stamps with $30 left after rent for gas and expenses. It was the poorest I had ever been. The next year was scholarships and more breathing room in my budget but every year was a leap of faith that it would be worth it. It was.

Last edited:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second Leap of faith , slightly less Scary . I had been writing my penpal for just over 1 year. I was interested in possibly marrying her. So I wrote her of my planned visit. Bought Airline tickets, Bought Engagement Ring. Then flew to Singapore for a 8 day visit. She said yes !

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Offhand I'd say the biggest leap of faith I took was leaving a secure well paying job which I wasn't in love with for a new position that I felt passionate about and really wanted.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Offhand I'd say the biggest leap of faith I took was leaving a secure well paying job which I wasn't in love with for a new position that I felt passionate about and really wanted.
I guess if you can afford to be happy making less money, that's all that matters.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess if you can afford to be happy making less money, that's all that matters.
Since I was married we had two incomes and in the long run it was a wise move because I enjoyed my new job and worked there for a long time. Finding a job that is fulfilling and makes a difference in someone else's life outweighs the monetary gain for me.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 2015, after 11 years of being depressed and over a year of being unemployed, I got a part-time job at a cemetery and three days after I started, I got offered a full-time job at the library. I was worried since I never had a full-time job that I wouldn't be able to do it, especially since I had just gotten my depression under control. I decided to take the job and I worked there for nearly 5 years before the pandemic hit. After the pandemic hit, I was reassigned to a job in a different county department and this last October, I officially left the library job for the reassignment job. It's a temporary job, but it is in the right direction that I want to take my career and it pays $7 more an hour.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently bought a travel trailer with quite a bit of water damage. I don't even have my G2 license so I can't drive it. I've never done repairs on a travel trailer or anything like this before. I'd say that's a pretty big leap of faith.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I left a toxic job for a fresh start elsewhere. In hindsight I should have left the job years earlier but I stayed for too many complicated reasons even though I was miserable and the stress affected my health. When I finally did get the courage to start a job search, someone I was using as reference was intentionally derailing my job search for her own selfish reasons. An unlikely source clued me in to that and I quickly dropped the person as a reference and stopped giving her updates on my search. I accepted a job offer and left the toxic job. I was a little hesitant about the new job at first but it turned out to be the best job I ever had with the best team and work environment :hearthrob: