Question of the Day - Monday, February 1, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy February! In my area that means we are in the last real wintery month. :bliss: Spring usually comes in March and I am always happy about that! It hasn't been a bad winter for us though so I'm not complaining this year either.

Let's talk lotions! I was adding body lotion my grocery order so that inspired this question. It seems like there are SO many options now. I saw a Lavender one yesterday and one with Almond Oil that i might try. I know a few people that make their own. And a few who won't use store brands. One friend never uses it (I can't imagine what that's like! :lol:) And another who is like a compulsive lotioner. :lol:

What kind of lotion user are you? Do you go for affordable store brands? Treat yourself to something higher end? Scented? Unscented?

I'm a daily Aveeno Stress Relif girl. (Lavender, chamomile an ylangylang.) But I also have a couple nicely scented creams from Bath & Body Works. That's as expensive as I go to treat myself. Right now it's Lilac (my fav scent period) and an Almond one (my second favorite scent). I just use those on my hands and mostly at night. I don't see the point when I wash my hands 90 times a day. But at night it feels good and it's nice to fall asleep with a pleasant scent. I saw that Aveeno one with Almond Oil that I might try for a change. But I really like the scent of the Aveeno Stress Relief. It's not overpowering. I loved their baby lotion for my kids when they were little too.

I also keep Eucerin around for when it's dryer in the winter. My kids use CeraVe's cream and lotion. We've tried so many brands over the years and that's been the best on their skin. DD outgrew eczema and DS is improving with it. Dh has his own stash. Plus he doesn't want to smell like lavender. Although he has a couple times on accident. :crazy:

I like Nutrogena's Oil Free fascial moisturizer. It has SPF in it and it's the only thing DD has been able to use on her face for sun protection. Thankfully she seems to be outgrowing that too.

When DD was a baby and had awful eczema I used to buy her a cream that had callendula in it. It was SO nice but way too expensive to use myself. We used it more for a spot treatment. It smelled like sunshine to me. They changed the forumula eventually and it didn't work as well. But I buy DD a handmade soap with callendula and her skin loves it!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a new favorite this year. In the past I have used Blueberry scented lotion and body butter from The Body Shop, but they discontinued it and last year I could find nothing that I liked the scent of and that I wasn’t allergic to. I can’t use many products including big makers like Bath and Body shop products.

But fortunately this year I found Tony Moly Peach scented skin cream. It smells like real peaches and makes your skin so soft. It’s only downside is that the container size is small for the price. But I ordered directly from Korea where it is made and paid half price so I was able to stock up for the winter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have terrible dry hands in the winter, but I often don't remember to apply lotion! But I keep buying different lotions hoping they'll help, of course nothing helps if you don't use it ;). My current favorite is Jergens Ultra Healing, and the Walmart equivalent. Also a Walmart cocoa butter kind. I don't go by scent; the fancy kinds usually aren't that moisturizing, and I'm slightly sensitive to strong scents.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a ton of allergies, eczema, and other skin issues. I have tried so many lotions over the years..

Currently, and for the past several years I have been using: Cetaphil~~ for several years. About 2 years ago I changed. I did not feel Cetaphil was 'cutting" it...

I switched to CeraVe. During the summer I use the facial lotion with sunscreen base, and the pump lotion for my body. During the Fall, Spring, and Winter, I use CeraVe in the jar. I really like this stuff.. It makes my skin so soft, smooth, without being greasy.. no scent to it.

I do use the jar of Eucerin for my feet and body, when it is very dry outside, and when I feel I need "more"... It is a bit greasy' but it works, so I do not care...

For daily, after washing hands I use the Aveeno non-scented pump lotion. Either generic or main label... It does help, with so much hand washing..

I am trying some Bag Balm extra strength lotion also, for my hands~~ so dry...

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use mix of different things. I really enjoy Bath & Body Works lotions, especially when you can get them for like 3 dollars from their semi-annual sale. Their body lotions and hand creams are really nice. One of my current favorite scents is strawberry pound cake.

I also have eczema so I have to be careful with the scented lotions. The only thing that helps my eczema is a steroid cream like Cortizone-10. I used to be able to use the oat based Aveeno one but it doesn't work for me any anymore. Luckily I only get small patches once of twice a year now so I can still use some nicer lotions.

And I use Bliss moisturizer for my face! I really like the "glow" one because it smells like cinnamon toast crunch to me. Their water based ones are terrible though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like oatmeal hand lotion, either Aveeno or the store brand knockoffs. But I will use just about anything. I used to put aloe gel on my entire face and body for a moisturizer, but I don't do that anymore. Just my hands lately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It smells like real peaches
That sounds amazing!

I can use B&BW on my whole body; as long as it's not right after shaving. I just don't see the point. I like it better for limited use like that.
I switched to CeraVe. During the summer I use the facial lotion with sunscreen base, and the pump lotion for my body. During the Fall, Spring, and Winter, I use CeraVe in the jar. I really like this stuff.. It makes my skin so soft, smooth, without being greasy.. no scent to it.
I think you may be the one who recommended CeraVe to me. It's been a few years since we started using it so I'm not 100% sure who it was; but I think it was here. DS uses the Cetaphil bar soap for baths but he's using a charcoal soap I got on Amazon for handwashing. It's crazy how much we've tried. I've even mixed my own castile with vitamin e for him.
I am trying some Bag Balm extra strength lotion also, for my hands~~ so dry...
I use Bag Balm on any cracks in the winter. It stinks but it works! I've also used leftover Lanolin I had in a tube. I got more use out of it that way than the intended way. :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Jerkins lotion most of my life because I loved the smell. When I went vegan I switched to Jason Hand and Body Lotion. I like the apricot, vanilla and lavender. I have to use lotion every time I wash my hands because I can't stand for my hands to feel dry.

I also switched to castile soap because it has no animal ingredents.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Bag Balm on any cracks in the winter.
I know that petrolatum-based treatments are often recommended for cracked hands, but they do absolutely nothing for me! It's like it just sits on top of my skin and then I wash it off later and nothing has changed. I have found that if I use a moisturizing lotion first and let that soak in, and then rub a petrolatum-based treatment on, then that works pretty well. I also can't use petrolatum-based chapsticks. Maybe my body just doesn't like it :dunno:.

A full reset for me is to grab a handful of Crisco, then a palmful of white sugar, and rub it together all over my hands (IT STINGS!!!) until the sugar is fully dissolved, then wash that off, reapply Crisco, put nitrile gloves on over that, and sleep on it. I should do that now actually; I have like 5 cracks and they hurt. But I don't have any Crisco :(. Maybe I'll try it with a regular lotion.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The soap in the staff bathroom at school caused my hands to get super dry. It was awful and the only lotion that helped was Lubriderm for sensitive skin. I can't handle fragrances due to migraines so I always buy unscented. I also can't walk into a Bath & Body Works store because the scents are so overpowering they give me an awful headache. 🤕

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use regular Aveeno body lotion for my arms and thighs. Those parts of my body will get itchy and rashy if I don't. I also have a cream in a tube from Betty Ford's Alpine Garden that I love for just my hands. It has a lovely scent, but I've forgotten the name of it.

I also love the cherry-almond scent of the original Jergen's lotion, and I'd be happy with that if nothing else is available. It works, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that petrolatum-based treatments are often recommended for cracked hands, but they do absolutely nothing for me!
I think it's the lanolin that does it for me.

And yes those hurt!! My DH uses Aquaphors healing ointment with cotton gloves at bedtime because his hands take a beating in the winter especially. Its petroleum based too though. Its helped me some when I tried it. Sleeping with gloves is awkward though.
I never use soap in a public restroom, the odor of some of them will make me nauseous. So I carry my own bottle of soap in my purse. I have been doing it so many years, I forget how strange that is.
I made up a bottle of soap in a travel container and put together a baggie of paper towels for when we are out. We haven’t done too much this last year but sometimes kids just gotta go and DS can’t use hand sanitizer so I’m prepared! Even if its just to grab door handles!