Question of the Day - Monday, August 7, 2023

Are you Right or Left handed? Which hand uses the mouse?

• Right handed

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Left handed

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Ambidextrous

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Dominant hand uses the mouse

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Non-dominant hand uses the mouse

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I can use either hand on the mouse.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's officially gear up for school season for me. We are either starting next Monday or the Monday after so we can be finished by Memorial Day next spring. I'm to the point of getting my documents set up for keeping records and getting online things set up for the kids to use; like their typing program. I just bought another wireless mouse because DS is left handed and we now have another computer. I figured it would be good to have one set aside that can be for left-handed operation too. Although he might be ok using it right handed since thats what he has had to do until now.

Are you Right handed, Left handed or Ambidextrous? Do you use the mouse with your dominant hand? Pick 2 options from the poll.

I am right handed so I've always been fine with right handed setups. Occasionally I've had to do things with my left hand and it's gone ok; just slower. I wouldn't say I am ambidextrous though. I do see my son do things with both hands but I don't know if he just learned to because so much is set up for right handed people or if it's just a natural inclination for him to do things that way.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Technically I'm left handed but when I was in elementary school that all changed and I was strongly encouraged to use my right hand. It took awhile to get used to and I still do certain things with my left hand.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right handed and use my right hand for my mouse. The rare times that I use my left hand for my mouse are usually because I am doing something with my right hand, like eating or taking notes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am right-handed and use my right hand for a mouse. I am very much right-handed, am not good with my left hand at all. When i do my nails the polish is always very good on my left hand, isn't always that way on my right hand.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My left hand is brain dead. I can't even feed myself with my left hand. The only thing I've ever been able to do with it is to ride a horse (I use a snaffle bit which requires two hands).

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I write with my left hand so I consider myself to be left handed. I also eat, brush my teeth and I smoked with my left hand. But I do everything else with my right hand. Use the mouse, throw a ball, etc. My brother and sister are the same way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right-handed and broke my right wrist a month ago! a plate and 9 pins. a huge pain! EVERYTHING takes twice as long. getting dressed is a whole new experience, as is about everything else. i have much more empathy for left handers, everything is backwards. cant use a scissors, have to use the lip of an electrical outlet plate to open a cat of cat food. where there is a will there is a way......

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a lefty, but lets face it, in a world of mostly right handed tools, I've learned to be quite ambidextrous and I do use the mouse with my right hand as well. The only thing that I still can't do with my right hand is write...it looks like a 5 year old's writing.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of weird. I'm pretty right handed, but my dad was a computer programmer and left handed, so the mouse was always on the left side and I learned to use it left handed. And at this point, I can't use it right handed. To the point when I had to use the computer lab at school or at the library, I'd move the mouse over.

It actually is pretty convenient in its own way that I use my non dominant hand because I can scroll and hold a cup, or eat, or write at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I write with my left hand so I consider myself to be left handed. I also eat, brush my teeth and I smoked with my left hand. But I do everything else with my right hand. Use the mouse, throw a ball, etc. My brother and sister are the same way.
Which hand do you use scissors with? I found kids lefty scissors for my son when he was young but he did better with right ones.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Which hand do you use scissors with? I found kids lefty scissors for my son when he was young but he did better with right ones.
I have tried lefty scissors and had the same issue, they just don’t seem to work properly for me. We get so used to adapting to right handed stuff that you can’t switch back.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried lefty scissors and had the same issue, they just don’t seem to work properly for me. We get so used to adapting to right handed stuff that you can’t switch back.
I use my right hand to cut with scissors and It works for me. It would be difficult for me to use my left hand. I guess it all depends on what you get use to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a lefty for most things but right handed for some. I cut with a right hand scissor in my left hand. Go figure.
I think that’s how he’s been doing it. I need to watch him again. His printing is still big and messy but his cursive is really pretty nice. He was always excellent with fine motor stuff like legos, puzzles and rubber band boards; but still likes a pencil grip to write. I figured it was the extra work of being a lefty.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that’s how he’s been doing it. I need to watch him again. His printing is still big and messy but his cursive is really pretty nice. He was always excellent with fine motor stuff like legos, puzzles and rubber band boards; but still likes a pencil grip to write. I figured it was the extra work of being a lefty.
We had to use fountain pens for cursive writing in grade school, an absolute nightmare for a lefty because you can smear the ink as you write. So the only way to do it is to curl your hand as you write so it stays out of the wet ink. All these years, no more wet ink, but I still write that way.