Question of the Day - Monday, April, 27, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Monday. I got up early today (for a good reason!) but I'm ready to go take a nap. :yawn: Mooch is next to me looking at me like "Ok; but feed me first." :lol:

Meanwhile my kids are playing Charades. They seem a lot less bothered by the getting up early thing. Only 4 more weeks of school to go! ☕:soldier:

Party games: love them or hate them?

In general; I am not a fan but it depends on the group of people involved. Especially if it's a get up in front of people and do/say something type game. My son's godmother is excellent at coordinating these games for showers and things like that. I am not. :lol2: I remember liking Charades as a kid. I was not a fan of Taboo when that came out with that buzzer.... :smash: I liked Pictionary as a kid though. That might be ok because you don't really have to talk that much. They are all better than the "lets go around and say something about ourselves" ice breakers. Those get my internal sullen teenager inside eye roll. :rolleyes3: ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to like some board games. (monopoly, backgammon, scrabble, chess) Have not the time nor inclination for any of them these days.
I do like board games more than ones that make you stand up and be social or perform somehow. I'm not one who would go to a "family board game night" like some people host. But if I know the group or it's just a smaller group; that can be fun.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, there was nothing but board games, aside from Kismet. We played Monopoly(of course), Scrabble, Yahtzee, Parcheesi, the Game of Life, Chinese checkers, and regular checkers, but I can't recall the last time we played any board game at all. Although rusty, I'm still up for a game of chess, however.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the atmosphere of party games (normally in my family everyone is drunk by the time we play the games!), especially at Christmas, but the only one I don't particularly like is Charades.
Charades always seems to bring the worst out in people

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm used to playing games in front of a class on the whiteboard with students especially if there's inclement weather and we have indoor recess. One of their favorites is a game we used to call Hangman when we were kids but because it's considered offensive now they changed it to Snowman. It's not the game I enjoy as much as the expression on a student's face when they win and it becomes their turn to come up in front of the class and draw on the whiteboard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid and lived near family we had Sunday dinners at my Grandparents. After dinner was cleaned up some of us would play board or card games with Grandma. It was usually my cousin and I.That kind of laid-back game playing is more my style. I do play board games with my kids and they can be fun.

I've seen some fun looking "ridiculous" games that could be good. Like the one where you strap an empty tissue box to your waist behind you and have to shake out some balls or feathers. Silly fun.

One time DH and I went to a couple's Valentine's Dinner event at our church. We'd been married maybe 2-3 years. They decided to recruit 3 couples to play The Newlywed Game. :paranoid: It was EYE opening. I was so glad to be in the "audience." ;):lol:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm used to playing games in front of a class on the whiteboard with students especially if there's inclement weather and we have indoor recess. One of their favorites is a game we used to call Hangman when we were kids but because it's considered offensive now they changed it to Snowman. It's not the game I enjoy as much as the expression on a student's face when they win and it becomes their turn to come up in front of the class and draw on the whiteboard.
Oh, it's called snowman now? That does sound a lot better. I also learned a word game for the board called "Baseball" You choose a word and draw the lines for the number of letters. Then the kids guess whole words of the same length. If there's a letter that's right, but in the wrong place they get a "ball" if there's a letter in the right place, it's a "strike" and you keep writing the list of words until they figure it out!

For example: The word is "game", a student guesses "math" That's 1 ball, 1 strike. I will typically fill in the blank with the strike, but you can opt not to to make it harder.

On to my answer for the question...
I like and dislike party games. I should say I like WINNING party games. I do not like being bogged down by teammates who are clearly not up for the task. lol. I like that they give me an excuse to enter conversations with people, because otherwise I assume that everyone who's already talking doesn't want to be interrupted, so I don't join in. I also don't drink, which can give me a better command of my faculties haha

Pictionary, Charades, Uno, Trivia, etc. I like them, just don't get in my way of winning.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love board games! I would enjoy party games with a group of people I enjoy.

I like them a lot less when they are used as 'icebreakers' at 9AM staff meetings.
Icebreakers at 9am meetings??? What is that about? Just curious.