Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Question Of The Day - Monday, April 15, 2019

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by MoochNNoodles, Apr 14, 2019 at 9:10 PM.

1. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    i learned to crochet, didn't do as well with knitting, and never learned to sew. it's been decades since i last crocheted.

i can sew buttons on clothing, and can basically mend clothing. i only do what's needed, and don't particularly enjoy doing it.

MoochNNoodles purraised this.

2. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Heck no. I had to sew a skirt in high school for Home Ec class. It looked so hideous that I couldn't wear it. :ohwell:

MoochNNoodles purraised this.

3. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    I can knit and sew but I'm very rusty on both since I haven't picked up any knitting or sewing needles for a few years.

MoochNNoodles and maggiedemi purraised this.

4. Elphaba09

Elphaba09 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Sep 6, 2018
    NE Ohio
    I can knit, crochet (regular and Tunisian), and sew. I can only hand sew and it is no way advanced sewing, but, technically, I can sew. My knitting style is apparently called " English flicking combination." My friend who knits, the woman who tried to teach me, and the employees at the local yarn shop have said that I am the only person they have seen knit that way.

My soon-to-be daughter-in-law does! She makes regular clothes and cosplay clothes.

5. Lari

Lari TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 18, 2017
    I learned how to knit and crochet from my dad's twin sisters as a child because they were always making afghans and things and I wanted to be like them, but as they lived out of state and we only saw them a few days a year I never got past basic stitches.

I did home ec in high school and my mom taught me to sew. I loved cross stitch, but I haven't done more than mend a few things lately. My mom always made our Halloween costumes - I have fond memories of being a child and looking through pattern books and picking out fabrics and watching my costumes come together, so if I ever have children, I'd like to do the same for them.

6. misty8723

misty8723 TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 16, 2006
    North Carolina
    My mom taught me to knit when I was young, but she was self taught and was doing the cast on wrong. Eventually in the 1980s I took lessons and learned to do it write. I've made sweaters, afghans, various things. I've also crocheted. Went through a phase where I made a lot of dish towels and such. Sewing? Nope. But I used to love counted cross stitch.

I don't do any of it anymore. Not enough time or interest I guess..

7. lizzie

lizzie TCS Member Alpha Cat

Sep 29, 2002
    missouri
    I never did learn how to knit...just wasn't ever my interest,I guess.I can crochet,but definitely not great at it.Sewing has always been my strong suit.I've made clothes for myself,son,husband,friends and neighbors for many years but not so much anymore.I love to make quilts and have made many in my lifetime.There are many associates where I worked who were presented with a quilt for the child they were expecting or when they were getting married as a gift from the store,and one young lady who couldn't afford a wedding dress and myself and 2 others made her dress and veil.My right hand doesn't work like it used to now so it's hard for me to handle the pinning anymore,but it's still my love.

8. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    I can sew, so-so.
    I knit not.
    Crochet? No way.
    :lolup:
    I can hand stitch and work a sewing machine if I have to. I just can't thread that stupid bobbin :angryfire::livid:

9. MonaLyssa33

MonaLyssa33 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 10, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I frequently crochet and I can sew but don't do it often. Here are some of my recent creations:
    bird3.jpg dragon1.jpg monkey1.jpg

Mother Dragon, PMousse, maggiedemi and 3 others purraised this.

10. Tobermorey

Tobermorey TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    MonaLyssa33, maggiedemi and muffy purraised this.

11. Lari

Lari TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 18, 2017
    MonaLyssa33 and maggiedemi purraised this.

12. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    You'll still need to practice, and that will help teach you how to maintain even stitches :) I looked at several beginner crochet websites/videos and found one way that I prefer regarding how to make that first slip knot, and then off I went with what I think will be a washcloth LOL. I had the typical newbie narrowing of the piece as I went along adding rows and so had to learn about ensuring I'm adding all the stitches that need to be :thumbsup:

I'm another - can't really sew worth a darn but thanks to Home Economics in high school I can sort of get a button on if I have to. And I've hemmed the sheers for the front window- as long as nobody looks too closely I'm good :yess:

I LOVED needlework and crosstitch and did quite a few patterns, and Blackwork embroidery is completely awesome! My mom tried her darndest to teach me to knit, but I'm currently latchhooking, and learning to crochet. Now that I've been reminded of blackwork, I might have to look into that again ;)

maggiedemi purraised this.

13. ashekitty

ashekitty If cats could talk, they wouldn’t. ~ Nan Porter Adult Cat

Jan 18, 2017
    Northern California
    I can knit pretty well, and I can sew if I have to fix something. That’s about it. :) The work posted here is amazing!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    maggiedemi purraised this.

14. blueyedgirl5946

blueyedgirl5946 TCS Member Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    One of my best crochet projects was the American flag. The stars had to be crocheted each one separately and then sewn onto the flag. I trimmed in in gold fringe. It sold at a church bazaar for three hundred dollars.

Mother Dragon, Lari, MoochNNoodles and 3 others purraised this.

15. PMousse

PMousse TCS Member Adult Cat

Nov 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Furballsmom purraised this.

16. PMousse

PMousse TCS Member Adult Cat

Nov 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    When I was 5 or 6, I wanted to knit a sweater for my toy bear...a few years later and barely any progress, I downgraded my expectations and decided to knit a blanket instead......fast forward a few decades to today, it is still not finished...

Furballsmom and maggiedemi purraised this.

17. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    I found a video on how to hem jeans on YouTube. Wish me luck. :lol:

Furballsmom, Tobermorey and maggiedemi purraised this.