Question of the Day - (Late) Sunday, February 11th

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all! Apologies for being terribly late and hoping I got the date right. And to anyone who may have already asked a question for me.

Here goes: Do you miss certain places in your area that were once well known to the public? Or special sites, that most people probably never thought about?

I do.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to dance at a studio now shur down for 4+years called Cut-A-Rug. 2 step,polka,west coast swing,and triple step and clubs for dancing now shut down. Professional dancer

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel sad about empty buildings. Where I live currently, there are a lot of empty commercial buildings and it is sad and depressing. As for where I grew up, there are a lot of places that no longer exist and I don't necessarily miss what was there (although I do in some cases) but it reminds me of a simpler time where I didn't have responsibilities and I miss that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was in middle school I found a picture of a factory that is still mostly standing in the city 2 of my grandparents, parents and I were born in in my history textbook. The kind of picture thats like an illustrated photo from the 1800s. There were horses and wagons/buggies in the picture. I was living in a different state at the time so it was a shock to see something I'd driven by hundreds of times when I lived there and whenever I visited.

The last time we were in town I noticed they'd torn down a section of the building. I hope whats left is protected for it's historic value. But the whole city has seen such a change in industry in the last 150 years there are plenty of other factory buildings and several beautiful churches that sit empty. The Victorian house my grandpa grew up in is gone. Other areas around the city are nice; but those beautiful homes that need so much upkeep often aren't getting it. It's really sad! Most of my cousins don't even live in the area anymore. We accidentally went through part of the older part of town thanks to our GPS not knowing the area and it was kind of sketchy looking too. I remember when I still had family we would visit in the different areas of town. Us kids never had fear playing outside unsupervised. How times change... :sigh:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Empty malls that are being torn down. I didn't spend a huge amount of time at malls but I did enjoy going there occasionally. I would get my hair cut, nails done and go to Bath and Body Works. I would usually also get something at the food court.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to live across a walkway from a large graveyard. It had mausoleums, staircases and giant statues and carvings. It was a wonderful place to walk at night. Lots of privacy because few people want to be in a graveyard at night. I miss it. 5 close relatives were buried there at that time. Now more like 10.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too many to list them all. A popular restaurant at an old railroad station that is still an empty shell after burning 40-some years ago. A downtown that was gutted by 'urban renewal' in the '70s. Fields and woods where we would walk now covered with McMansions. All are gone, and they ain't coming back.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing too specific, however I do miss "the downtown" of my youth. We could walk anywhere, including the alley ways, play in the park, shop at Woolworths and pop into several little shops, go to our arena to watch a hockey game, walk the mall and even take in a movie...all without a care in the world. The nightlife was great with so many bars and pubs to frequent. It has now become a cesspool of drug addicts and needles literally blanket the sidewalks, alleys and building entryways. Stabbings and shootings happen WAY more frequently...all drug related. It's just not a safe place to be anymore.
I also miss the woods/bush in my town...it's been built up way too much with new subdivisions.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have some wonderful drive in restaurants. Porky’s, with the best fried chicken. King Hi, famous for their strawberry pie, and the Dariette which had the best Italian food and was featured on the program Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Fields and woods where we would walk now covered with McMansions. All are gone, and they ain't coming back.
I remember walking with my parents and sister on the weekend and seeing all the brightly colored Victorian painted ladies, (elegant homes). Both the north and south sides of the city had age old Victorians with ornate fretwork, decorative carvings and stained glass. They have been torn down and the contents removed to be replaced with glass and steel dwellings - no appreciation for intricate architecture. :headshake:

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I grew up! Still remember the address and phone number. We had a big pool,creaky 2nd floor and i had to share bathroom with one of my sisters

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss a LOT in the city where I grew up, but I honestly can't think of anything here other than some restaurants that I miss.