Question of the Day, Happy New Year! (Friday, January 1)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! And Happy New Year! :celebrate:

Now that the holidays are over (well, almost), when do you plan on taking your decorations down? Or are they already down?

I'm thinking about taking the TWT in the she shed down this afternoon while I'm out there watching TV. Rick has already said that he wants to keep the decorations up in the house for another week or so. We'll continue to use our Winterberry dishes until sometime in February or March, then I'll put them away and bring the Fiesta back out.

What about you? Ready to say goodbye to the holidays or do you want to hang on for a while longer?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took them down yesterday. The bare tree is still standing because I'm waiting for a 'tree bag' coming Monday to cover and store it in. I love having the decorations, but with the Covid and no one coming over, I thought I might as well get them packed and put away, it was time to clean! I also change out my many vases of artificial flowers around the house to appropriate season ones, I realized I really don't have any spring ones. I went right from Christmas to more summer ones. Tulips and lilacs would be welcome rioght now!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a bit of a Grinch this year and only put up a small tree, so it won't take too long, but plan on putting it away at some point this weekend. I want to do a big cleaning before I go back to work on Monday. And although decoration wise, I don't have much out, all my bins of paper/tags/bags etc.. are still just laying around, as are many of our gifts and treats we received, so they need to be put away as well. The cats will be disappointed though, I left all the empty boxes and packing paper from all my online purchases out in my living room for them to play with, but it's time they go into the recycling.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I will probably unplug the spotlight that shines on the wreath on my front door today and maybe take the wreath down and put the big snowman head up in the next few days. Same with the pots on the front steps. I'll probably leave the tree up another week or so. The bulk of the rest of the decorations I put up are "winter" and I'll leave those up.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't put the tree up this year. It would of meant having it for one day because I only decorate for the grandkids. My youngest is 18 and as long as he gets his Christmas Dinner he's happy. I do decorate the table and bring the good stuff out at Christmas though.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We’ll take everything down this weekend, although I’ll be sad to see it go. It was comforting sitting with the tree lighted, kitties curled up underneath, in the evenings.

Or maybe it was the hot buttered rum I was drinking... :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all down and have been for a few days. I am always ready to do it because their replacement will be all of the decorative pieces I have that remind me of spring. The outside lights are down as well because I need to take them down when I can still get through the snow to reach them.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK we used to take everything down by 12th Night (Jan 6th) as it was considered bad luck to keep Christmas decorations up any longer. But, when we first came to Germany people were leaving things up till the beginning of February! I was told that some even bought a second tree to replace the one that was losing its needles.

But things have changed even here and, although I love white lights on the trees in front gardens along the street and would be happy to see them up till the Carnival season, I am relieved when colored lights, Santas, reindeer and other characters disappear as soon as possible after Christmas. I have already removed the advent's wreath and the few Christmas cards. The wreath on the front door is wintry rather than just Christmassy so can stay there till spring and Carnival. The white lights outside will be turned off and removed when my neighbors decide to do the same - probably on Jan.6th when I will also take down the tree (unless the cats decide to start the job sooner). In a country with very few daylight hours at this time of year, it is probably psychologically better to leave lights up for longer periods. In other areas they are superfluous.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't do a tree this year, but put some lights outside, plus decorations inside the 3rd week of November. So once Christmas went by, I was ready to take it down. Started inside on Tuesday and finished yesterday. Took the outside lights down today.