Question of the Day, Friday, October 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! (Afternoon!) :wave3:

If you won the lottery, would you keep it to yourself or would you tell people?

In Pennsylvania, it's not a secret. If you win the lottery, they have the right to publish your name and such. I don't think it's fair, but that's the way it is. We don't have a choice.

What about you....or your state?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In Pennsylvania, it's not a secret. If you win the lottery, they have the right to publish your name and such. I don't think it's fair, but that's the way it is. We don't have a choice.
Our state also publishes your name. I agree 100%, I don't think it's fair either. :nono: Who needs people coming out of the woodwork to disrupt your privacy. It's my understanding that only 11 states in the U.S. keep your name anonymous.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, "they" have the right to publish your name (Ontario Canada), but they don't publish contact info, we don't have a choice in the matter.
If I could though, I would want to keep it private. Word would eventually get around among friends and family, but I would definitely learn how to say NO real fast.....(we have quite a few "moochers" in my family)
I heard the reason they get to publish your name is to create a sense of "yes, real people actually win"...

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Ohio, we would have a choice. I have never played it, but, if I did and won, I would only tell my husband and children.

I would pay off my son's house, buy my daughter a house, secretly buy my neighbor's house for her, and set aside money for Hobbit. (We live in an affordable area, so we would have a lot leftover even after all that.) We would also pay someone to mow all of the yards and do landscaping. After that, my husband and I would invest and save it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our state also publishes your name. I agree 100%, I don't think it's fair either. :nono: Who needs people coming out of the woodwork to disrupt your privacy. It's my understanding that only 11 states in the U.S. keep your name anonymous.
Seeing as we're in the same state, I guess I don't have a choice to keep it private, but I would retain a lawyer/accountant/whoever professional who would be best to help navigate before turning in my ticket. I know I have some extended relatives who would want a handout who I have no desire to give money to.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep it a secret. Last I heard in Ohio someone could keep it private but they have to set up a trust and have the money deposited in the trust. I guess then it falls under the confidentiality rules with trust funds.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in NY, we have no choice; all big lottery winner's names are made public when they cash their ticket, which is why they are advised to change their phone number and email address, and to hire a financial advisor before cashing.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing in Michigan. You have to allow the lottery board to publish name, likeness and where the winning ticket was purchased, or you can't claim the prize. I think that's all the personal stuff you have to publicly disclose.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep it a secret! I would just tell my parents lol I like the idea of being a secret millionaire.

That being said, the official stance in Canada is that a lottery winners' identity is required to be known; to reassure the public that real people do win and general media publicity for the lottery company for continued sales and revenue. However, there can be rare exceptions made where a request for anonymity can be accepted - such as if the winner's life or safety is genuinely endangered if their identity is revealed. There has been cases where OLG (Ontario Lottery and Gaming Cooperation) has respected a winner's decision for that very reason.

Which is fair to be honest. If given the choice I would remain private, but unless my life is in danger at that moment I won't waste time or money fighting it. I just won a million dollars, 15 million dollars, 100 million dollars or more, why fuss :lol:

I would just hope that people whom I don't want to know won't pay attention to that sort of news. And if certain folks act a certain way or demand something from me, just goes to show who they really are and will just have to protect myself then.