Question Of The Day, Friday, March 28

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have all of the old photos. Of my photos, I've been taking digital photos since at least 2000, so nearly all of my photos are stored in my computer or external hard drive, as well as somewhere online. I experience what I dubbed, The Great Wipeout of 2005, where I lost everything on my computer including tons of pictures. I was devastated, so now I back-up everything in multiple formats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your timing on this is perfect. I am dealing with generations of photos now. Since the beginning of photography! Ouch! My Grandmother left them with my Fad who, at 90, decided to move and he deposited them at my house. I am sorting them and dividing them up. I have three cousins, a brother,nephew, step sister and my Dad. I am putting the most relevant photos for each person in a box and dividing up the nice framed ones and giving everyone a share. I’ve enjoyed looking through them and will enjoy my share but there are thousands of them. It has taken me months of sorting but I think the final result will suit everyone. Enough photos to spend looking at on a rainy afternoon but not too many to overwhelm any one person. As they have me. Lol The history of photography is here so that was kind of interesting to see too. The negatives will all go to my nephew because he volunteered! Yay! He has the equipment to put everything on the computer. Slides stay with me for now since I still use my old projector. I’ll be passing all of that to my nephew if he survives the negatives onslaught.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm a bit lucky as I studied digital media in school, so I have a real love for taking old photos and retouching/rehabilitating them. I started an ancestry account and started adding the digital photos to my family tree. While I also have a personal copy of the photos, going digital was a space saver and a real necessity for some of the old turn of the century photos. It was also a great way to reconnect with family members, as I'd often go over to their house and I'd hear stories about the old country and my great great grandparents.
Most of my family members never had kids and didnt know what to do with all their photos, so they were more then happy to pass on the family history and photos to me.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your timing on this is perfect. I am dealing with generations of photos now. Since the beginning of photography! Ouch! My Grandmother left them with my Fad who, at 90, decided to move and he deposited them at my house. I am sorting them and dividing them up. I have three cousins, a brother,nephew, step sister and my Dad. I am putting the most relevant photos for each person in a box and dividing up the nice framed ones and giving everyone a share. I’ve enjoyed looking through them and will enjoy my share but there are thousands of them. It has taken me months of sorting but I think the final result will suit everyone. Enough photos to spend looking at on a rainy afternoon but not too many to overwhelm any one person. As they have me. Lol The history of photography is here so that was kind of interesting to see too. The negatives will all go to my nephew because he volunteered! Yay! He has the equipment to put everything on the computer. Slides stay with me for now since I still use my old projector. I’ll be passing all of that to my nephew if he survives the negatives onslaught.
Yes, I've got the history of photography, too. One is probably a tintype, at least it's printed on metal. She is a very distant cousin. It dates to about 1850.