Question Of The Day, Friday, July 26

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! And Happy Friday!

Let’s talk about cats. How many cats do you have? What are their names and ages? What’s the greatest number of cats you’ve had? How many cats would you like to have? And finally, what is your definition of a Crazy Cat Lady (or Crazy Cat Man, as the case may be)?

Currently, we have:
Ms. Pepe - 23 years old
Amber Louise - 16 or 17, Rick and I can never agree
Mollipop - 8 years old
Tabby - 7 years old
Muffin - 8 years old

The least amount of cats in the house was one. That was when Hydrox P. Puddy was an only child. The most cats was eight in the house; we’ll never have that again.

A Crazy Cat Lady will always have at least one cat more than I will ever have. So a CCL is one who has nine cats or more. (We have a flag in the front yard that says “One cat shy of crazy”.)

Your turn!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two. Lilith and Sophie. I'm not sure of their exact ages. They are too vain to tell me. I've asked. I think Lilith is 7 and Sophie is 6 but it's a guess. I have a feeling that Lilith is Sophie's mother and that she had her when she was still a kitten herself. That might have something to do with why she's so small.

The most we've had is 3. We also had our boy Henry AKA Brother but he passed away suddenly in 2017.

If there is a "Crazy" cat person, it's the ones you see on TV where Animal Control has to go in and take some or all of them out because there's dozens of them running around with few to none spayed or neutered.

If someone has the space and resources to take care of 100 cats properly and wants to do so, I say go for it. That's not crazy. That's love. I'm in full support of that.

If money were no object, I'd buy a private island in the Bahamas and take in ferals from the Caribbean region. We'd vet, socialize and adopt as many out as possible. Those that couldn't be adopted would just stay there for the remainder of their lives. I'd call it The Island of Misfit Kats and we'd have a cool flag.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently only have Felix. He is almost 9 years old.
The most cat's I've had at once is 5. I'd love to have 3 cats but right now, I'm focusing on rescuing. I'll probably end up keeping them but I don't know yet.

Legally, I'm only allowed to own 6 cats at once so anything over is crazy simply because I put them all at risk when I break by-laws. I have a good track record with animal services and wouldn't want to tarnish that simply because I wanted another kitty.

I'll definiely be adding more jellybeans, just not sure when.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont think there is a such thing as a crazy cat lady or a crazy cat man. Just because a person takes the time to look after and love one or several cats doesnt mean they are crazy. It just mean they are compasionate about cats. I had 2 cats Leo and Mc and 1 stray that used to come by that i named Atlas, and my parents and sister would tease me calling me a crazy cat lady. But i would tell them i am not crazy simply because i prefer a cats company over a human one.
I find some humans cruel, greedy, selfish, not the humans on this form but from my own experience and from what i see in the public and all over the world. I dislike people who think just because they are considered more inteligent than animals that they can treat animals as a lesser being. To me a life is a life. I comend people who take the time to look after or rescue animals even if it is one or 300 animals .

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We currently have 6, which is also the most we have had. They are:
Burdock- 8 years old
Prancer-7
Digger, Stretch, and Bashful- 6
Miss Eleanor- 4
They were all feral street cats that found their way to us, and stayed. And for my definition of a crazy cat man/woman; it's someone who has more than they can properly care for- a hoarder.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have just one, Mowgli, who's 7 and despises other cats. The most we've had is two, after taking in former neighbors' cat for a few years until they moved again - far enough away that the cat wouldn't come "home". That didn't go well, because she had to be kept separate from our last cat, who also hated other cats.

Two cats that get along would be ideal.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two Lelia, who's 2 and Sparkle who my fiancé thinks is about 10, but he hasn't kept very good track.

The most we've had is two. The least I've had is zero. Then one.

I'm not sure how many I'd like to have, though I would love to foster a pregnant mama and her kittens someday for the experience. Two is what we're allowed in our apartment and fine for now.

I guess you get into crazy territory when you have more than you can afford/handle and it takes over your life to the point where you can't maintain human relationships, and that number is different for everyone.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Vincie Elizabeth who turned 19 on 14 July
Calista (Big Cal) Danielle, 9, whose birthday we celebrate with Vincie's
She was my ex-neighbors's cat who moved in herself 6 years ago. They fought all the time and Cal likes it quiet. Around Thanksgiving, afer living her since July, they told me they wanted what was best for Cal and if I wanted her I could have her.

The most I've had at one time is six, plus Vincie girl's five babies who all got homes except I kept the only male, Jordan.

I would like to have 2 more but I cannot afford the health care and the grieving is so harsh when they pass it's probably best I only have 2.

I think being a CCL means having so many that they aren't being cared for properly.

When I had 6 I didn't have RSD/CRPS and had the funds to take care of their health issues.

Lena
Nikki
Kirsten
Celeste
The Vincie girl
Jordy

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only have one now, Alice who is 16. The most I have had is two.

To me 'crazy' would be a hoarder situation which does actually involve a type of mental illness.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat right now, the beautiful neurotic Willow who is 9. I would love to have a second cat and most of my adult life there have been two but I am saving a place for my mothers cat so that it has a home when she passes.

My rainbow bridge girls. Brandy (17) Daisy (2), Amber (13), Genevieve (18) , Gillian (9) and Murphy (19). Beautiful Daisy died from cardiomyopathy, the rest from age related diseases, cancer and diabetes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Maggie & Demi. Demi is 5 years old. Maggie showed up 6 months after Demi, so I gave them the same birthday, but she could be older.

First group of childhood cats was 5--- Kitter & her 4 kittens.

Next group of childhood cats was 4---Mally, Caramel and their 2 kittens.

If I won the Mega Millions, I would have at least 4 cats, and probably some chickens and a llama.

A crazy cat lady/man is all of us who love our cats more than anything and all we can think about is their safety and happiness. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch and Noodles are litter mates and 14 years old.

The most cats I've ever had at once was 3; back when my mom and step-dad married and combined households. Ideally I will always have 2. I used to say I wanted 6 cats and 2 dogs. But then I had kids and I've realized thats just too much for us. And with the girls being seniors with health issues I won't add to our crew and stress them out. I don't think either would enjoy sharing territory and especially not with an impudent kitten. ;)

The hard part now is that I'd really love some younger pets for my kid's. They want pets they can play and cuddle with and DS keeps asking for a kitten for Christmas. Mooch doesn't trust him still. Noodles will play with them a little but she barely snuggles with me. My Mom's cats enjoy cuddling with the kids but they are 16 and 14 so not super playful either. So DS ends up playing with the neighbor's dog through the fence. :ohwell:

We had time to waste yesterday so the kids and I wandered through a Petsmart near where we were. The cats in the adoption center were all out from their kennels romping around. The kids thought it was the greatest thing. And it was a good opportunity to explain the cat behavior we were seeing. Including some wrestling/dominance establishing between 2 of the adults. :rolleyes: It was fun and sad at the same time; but a good reminder that I need to keep Mooch and Noodles' feelings and needs ahead of my own. :agree: (And no; DS will NOT be getting a kitten for Christmas! I don't mind pets as gifts if you adopt them understanding the commitment. I do think a dog would be really good for DS; but I still can't go there yet.)

LadyButterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat, her name is Sage, and she's somewhere around five years old. The greatest number of cats I've ever had at one time is six. I couldn't have that many again because I live in a small city apartment. I think my dream amount of cats is three. A trifecta of kitties.

A crazy cat lady/man is all of us who love our cats more than anything and all we can think about is their safety and happiness. :)
This is the perfect answer to the last question. I agree completely.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've got three now--Zoe and Rico are 10 year old siblings. Ozzy is also 10. We got them all from the SPCA as kittens. We had four for quite awhile, just lost 16 year old Hannah a month ago.

Four was manageable for us. At some point I may think about getting another one, or maybe fostering, but for now I'm enjoying having healthy, happy kitties and no cat worries. :)

The most we had at one time was seven. That was a lot. I wouldn't want that many again.

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have one right now.
Curly- age 8

The most cats I’ve ever had at once is three.

Right now I’m in a situation where I can only have one cat, but I think I want another cat when I’m able. Or maybe two more, who knows! :lol:

Aico & Nacho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, but there's three in the household because my sister and her cat live here too. Aico is 2 years old, Nacho is 7 months old, and my sister's cat Achilles is 4 years old.

The greatest number of cats I've ever had at once is three.

I think for my situation having three like I do now is the perfect number. I wouldn't want anymore or any less.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats now, Remy and Maisie. Remy is about 2, Maisie is around 5. The most cats I've had at one time was 3 and that was when I lived with my parents with my cat and my parents' two cats (who I treated as my own). I would probably never have more than 2 again, but I could probably be persuaded into a third (maybe). I think a crazy cat lady/man, if we are defining it by quantity, would be 5 or more. Although I personally think a crazy cat person is really defined by how much they love the cats they have.