Question of the Day, Friday, January 29

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

How do you sleep at night? Do you sleep in the dark? Do you have a night-light in your bedroom? Do you fall asleep with the tv on?

I used to suffer from night terrors and sleep paralysis, so I needed a light; there was no way I could sleep in the dark. And I'm deathly afraid of the dark, esp when Rick wasn't home. I always went to bed with the tv on, just at a very low drone. I needed it for the light and so that I couldn't hear the house creak. Right after we got married, we were walking back the hallway to the bedroom. Rick turned the hall light off and started growling. And I hit the floor. He turned the light on and "Pam! Pam! Oh my god, are you OK?" And that was the end of him trying to scare me in the dark. While I've finally pretty much outgrown the night terrors, I will still get them from time to time, just not as often as I did. I get up and turn the hall light on. Rick understands. I will never, ever be able to sleep when it's pitch dark in the room. It's just not going to happen.

What about you? Dark, a night-light, the hall light?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one of those Himalayan salt crystal air purifiers in the room that serves as a night light. Not for me, but Bob, who if we ever stay in a motel or even a relative's house and the room is pitch black, wakes up screaming. Every once in a while he does it still, even at home. We have the tv on a timer at night and he watches it for a while in bed. He seems to do this when he is stressed or overly tired. so a night light is a MUST!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a night light in the bathroom off the bedroom. It is a recent addition. My husband used to like it totally dark, but I feel claustrophobic when it is totally dark. When he is in the hospital I usually fall asleep with the tv on in our bedroom. I actually put nightlights through out the house because when I get up it is often dark and I don't turn the lights on until I get to the kitchen.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the opposite. I can't fall asleep with any light - even the twinkling fire sensor can drive me mad. Hotel rooms are the worst - curtains don'r close properly, there's light coming in under the door and then the fire sensor, and the standby lights on the TV, which can't be switched off. A night in Scandinavia during the summer months is pure hell - no wonder the locals often celebrate all night rather than try to sleep. Fortunately my partner has the same problem!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A nightlight in the hallway and another in my bathroom, very low light just to light the way a bit. I do have a TV in my room but its sort of a spare TV as I never watch TV in bed. Occasionally I will turn the IPad on for a minute or two but usually it’s into bed, a short cuddle with Willow and then lights off and sleep.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A nightlight in the hallway and another in my bathroom, very low light just to light the way a bit. I do have a TV in my room but its sort of a spare TV as I never watch TV in bed. Occasionally I will turn the IPad on for a minute or two but usually it’s into bed, a short cuddle with Willow and then lights off and sleep.
does she sleep all night wih you?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can sleep with almost any level of light as long as it’s not shining in my face; which is good since my body’s preference for sleep is from 2-10am. I typically fall asleep on the couch with Mooch for a while with one lamp still on while I’ve been reading. Occasionally I don’t wake up there till 4/5am! But not usually. Then I stumble to bed.

We have a ceiling fan on in the warm months but I do not like noise when I sleep. When we used to run an air purifier and when we had an audio only baby monitor that hummed I would wake up with a headache if they were still in when I got up. If DH shut them off when he got up just a half hour earlier I’d be fine.:dunno:

DH doesn’t like light at all when he sleeps so the only light in our bedroom comes from a timer light switch in the bathroom. We have curtains that do reduce the light but DH would love the blackout ones that our kids have in their rooms. DS’s room is SUPER dark with olive green curtains and DD’s is only a tiny bit light with them in light pink.

When our kids were little I did keep a small led nightlight in our room because I was getting up so much. It didn’t put off much light but it helped me stumble to the door. :lol: Eventually that started getting on my nerves so I took it out. But I still have them in the hallway and a brighter one in the kids bathroom so they can see to get there. Its amazing how little light you need once your eyes adjust.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We sleep with our door open so that the light and sound of the TV in my studio can be seen and heard. Our door is open enough so that the cats can come and go, but is shut enough so that the light does not actually hit our bed. It is a compromise for my husband and me. He does not mind the sound, but he does not like any light. My anxiety makes light 100% a requirement. Half the room has light, while the other half is pretty dark. It may sound crazy, but I set up objects on the floor so that anyone sneaking into the room would be heard. The cats rarely set off my "traps" because they are used to them.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to sleep just in the dark. Now we leave the light on in my husband's closet, since it doesn't go near our heads, but sends some light over to the changing station. I can't do diapers in pitch dark, and it's less intrusive than turning on a light each time.

We like quiet, though!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a fan going, even when it's cold. For the white noise and the air movement. If there's no air movement near my face, I feel like I can't breathe.

I try to have it as dark as possible but every single thing has a small light on it somewhere. I put electrical tape over the most annoying ones but it's still not totally dark. I can sleep with a light on but it's not good for your endocrine system, that's why I try to make it darker.