Question of the Day - Friday - January 22

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today's question.... What is the title and author of the first book you can see near you. As well as the first line in the first chapter.

Shades of Midnight/ Lara Adrian

First line is- Under a winter-dark Alaskan sky, a wolf song carried clear and majestic into the night.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy.
"The schoolmaster was leaving the village, and everybody seemed sorry."

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A place of Execution by Val McDermid

'Help me. You've got to help me.' The woman's voice quavered on the edge of tears.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm at work, so......would any kind of reading material be OK? It does have chapters, for what they're worth.

Erosion and Sediment Pullution Control Narrative

"Existing togopraphic features of the project site and the immediate surrounding area"

(I get the joy of reviewing the whole thing. Yay for me.....not)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I'm in bed and I looked down to the ground and it looked as though two books were in a race - one is my current read and the other is a text book from a class I finished in November

Narrowly winning 1st place is my current book - Stepping Stones by Maureen Lee

"It was still and deathly quiet one April night in the year 1931 in a place called Bootle in Liverpool"

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky by Alice Sebold

"In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered."

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm surrounded by books, so I decided to just close my eyes, point my head towards the bookshelf, and pick the first thing my eyes locked on. The winner is...

Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins.

"Most pet lovers are familiar with the idea that dogs and cats are carnivores."

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first book I can see near me is a book of cat quotations called Cat Talk -- no author, per se, and no chapters.

The next book I can see near me is Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz. The first line of the first chapter is "Though it was but late September, a wintry wind howled and battered at the ramparts of Tor Caerrorie, rattling the narrow, glazed windows in their frames and snapping to tatters the gules/azure atop the tower keep."

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no books near me since I put them in the living room, getting ready to go to the library later.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you believe...

Speak Texan in 30minutes of less by Lou Hodson. - "Imagine you've arrived in Waxahachie. Alvarado, or Mexia, and can't even pronounce the name of the town, let alone understand the answer to "Where's the best barbecue around?"

Gift from a Texan, of course.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall

It was my fifty-third year of practicing law, and my eightieth year of life here on this earth, that I was to undertake an odyssey that would change my life forever.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assassins by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins

RAGE. No other word described it.

(I used the first two lines since the first line was only one word.)

This is book six in the "Left Behind" series.